Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Found a replacement for the V . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Will eventually modernize the wheels. No 6-speed. Past 3 cars have been sticks and I'm ready for das auto transmission. Wish I could afford an LS7 . Will have to "settle" for an LS2 or LS6 at some point.
I like the rally wheels....I know there are some that out there that have a deeper lip than those. My buddy's dad has a Chevelle with a set that look SICK. He has probably ran about 4-5 different tire/wheel combos and always seems to go back to the ole chevy rally wheels. He has what has to be a 4" deep beauty ring and the centers are a bit different....Not quite as big as those...I'll snap a pic if I get the chance.....LOOKS BADASS.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carb'd motors can be built really nice, if you know what you're doing. The only disadvantage really is if you start travelling a lot and get into different elevations, barometric pressures, etc. and it doesn't adapt like a fuel injected engine...But, for the cost you have to ask yourself if it's worth it, because it involves a lot more than swapping the engine...The trans/mount, driveshaft, starter, wiring, fuel/cooling system (prob tank) and on and on are affected...Cool if you do it, just nothing wrong with popping the hood on one of those and seeing a stout sbc under there...and they can be made to make a lot of power and still be tractable...Not to mention, a SBC and esp a BBC just sounds better and more at home in something like that. (you can tell the difference if you are listening for it).

Whatever you do though, get rid of that 307 boat anchor engine it lacks the CI to do much and you'd be better off with even a 350 crate engine, but something like a 383 or 406 would be a monster in that thing! If you want an auto, a 700R4 is pretty stout and relatively easy to swap in with a SBC (with something for the lock-up and new driveshaft, etc.).

Yeah, a 6-speed would be neat, but it involves a lot of $$ and esp with using a sbc (pre-86) and you probably have to cut up the floorboard a little; no biggie, but the list adds up! I even had to buy a floor shift steering column (but luckily with tilt), the pedals of course, different starter, conversion kit to use a cable clutch with orig. mech. linkage setup (~$900), billet steel flywheel, clutch, different speedo (T-56 is electronic or you can buy a piece that converts the signal to use cable) and in my case different instrument cluster [making custom VDO setup] because of the P R N D...on the dash, modify the trans. x-member (th-350 mount works), new driveshaft (shorter + diff pinion, so I can use 1330 or 1350 u-joints in my case) and so on...There is a lot of other 'little' things that I didn't mention, but you can see it adds up and you need to really research it...And, don't forget sourcing the right T-56 (LT1's are easiest to convert to sbc)...Obviously, if you went with an LS engine, some of the stuff wouldn't be needed...

I was able to find all this stuff with good deals a few years ago, but you could easily spend $5k on the swap! I cannot believe how much T-56's on their own go for and wouldn't want to think of some of the oem parts are now (like pedals) Plus, like I said it involves some floorboard modification, too, but it can be don cleanly...On a 'regular' camaro or chevelle like mine, I wouldn't worry about it, but if it were a RS/SS, Z/28 or a BB SS in my case, I wouldn't do that...

Last edited by JNR_Design; 09-05-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once I am done making the interior what I want it to be, I'll start on the engine/tranny combo.

I've done the swap from a carbed 350 to a TPI setup a few times, and still have the stuff I need to flash my own chips, but frankly I'd rather spend the money on a better, more efficient engine. I know I can make good power whatever I do. For this project, I want to focus on efficiency with that power. If I could build something that gets 22+ on the highway, I'd be thrilled.

I have also done the TH-350 to 700R4 swap. Wasn't too much of a hassle, other than shortening the driveshaft. But I'm just sad that in terms of upgraded transmissions, the retro world seems somewhat limited to 4-speeds. When you consider some of the first autos were 2 speeds, and now many autos are 8 speeds, being stuck at 4-speeds seems a little behind the curve. If I could find a 5 or 6 speed that I could get to work, I'd be thrilled there too, as that would do a lot to make it efficient.

Considering first gen Camaros weight slightly under 3000 lbs, the combination of that weight + modern technology I should be able to achieve my goals of having an old-school DD, with the comfort and efficiency of a modern car. Or at least close, as I am sure there is some aerodynamic lackings of the 60's cars hehe.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car....

Quick Reply: Found a replacement for the V . . .