Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

P04020 - Catalytic Converter Replacement Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default P04020 - Catalytic Converter Replacement Warranty?

anybody have their cat(s) replaced under the emissions warranty? I have 65k miles now (2007), so no more bumper to bumper and don't think a drivetrain warranty will cover much other than major engine/transmission stuff, etc.

I had a CEL come on with Code P0420, which could be a bad cat...If it is, I know the dealer would replace under the warranty IF it was indeed the cat...However, if it's one of the sensors or something else (highly unlikely, but say bad gas, or maybe an exhaust leak) then they won't and they'd charge me $108 for a diagnostic (wtf?!?).

So, not sure I want to chance it just yet...Car runs fine, no funny smells and the light just came on the other day (1st time). Have had bad experiences before with crappy gas (but it was a starting issue when cold and went away after going thru the tank), so not writing that off just yet...

I've been doing all sorts of reading on this P0420 code today and it sounds like it could be the cat...But like I said, not sure I want to take the $ chance just yet....

I am wondering if anybody else has had this code with it being something else (i.e. going away) or if you had experience getting the cat replaced because of it? Car is stock except for flowmasters and as I mentioned runs fine otherwise. I am going in soon to have the recall done, so figured good timing, but just hate dealing with dealers, lol.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes. Your fine. I had both replaced under gmpp. None under bumper to bumper. But like I've heard a lot. It depends on ur dealership. But cats are under emissions warranty. So u should be fine
Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

To add to my previous post. Our cars are not tuned to their real potential. Your always going to be running rich. Which makes cat's go bad
Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're fine even under factory warranty... emissions is 7 years or 84,000mi. I just had them replaced two months ago
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

and yeah makes sense about them going bad prematurely like that then and also considering my commute has become more of a 'city' vs highway like it used to be...I'll bring it in Monday then and have them take care of it + be nice to finally get rid of that stupid service air bag message everytime I start (last 9 months). Of course, they won't replace the radio keys because of having to press that button so many damn times, lol.

As a side note - that has to be the biggest complaint for me is that stupid infosystem and the way they set it up and forced us to use it...bet I'd like the car tenfold if I could figure out a way to get around it but do it as if it belongs...
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Launching!

my emissions warranty was "96/80000 FEDERAL EMISSION CATALYTIC CONV. AND PCM"

96 months or 80k miles
Old 10-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same issue, but when I bought my V it had headers, will they still get replaced under warranty or am I SOL?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they're OEM cats, you may be alright, although just have to make sure it's the cat itself and not something a result of the header installation (say it was leaking at the flange [which could trigger the P0420 from what I understand])...

However, I would think it has a lot to do with the dealer, as I bet they will try to blame it on there being headers even though it really wouldn't affect it directly (as in the cat would've gone out with header or manifold let's say)...I'd check with the service advisor and/or see how 'friendly' that dealership is to aftermarket stuff; check around here and other forums maybe to see if anybody else has used them.

speaking of the emissions warranty, the service advisor lady told me that the cats themselves and the ECU are covered, but didn't sound like much else. Although I think she is wrong, if something that was emissions went out...I'd have to check in the warranty manual to see what exactly is covered...

My luck will be they'll replace this one (drivers side, or bank 1) and then the other side (bank 2) will go out, lol.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

8/80 warranty on cat converters and ECU's no?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE - Took the car in today and sure enough it was the cat...so new cat and finally got that stupid message off the screen now for the airbag, woohoo! Actually had a good dealer experience too...

Quick Reply: P04020 - Catalytic Converter Replacement Warranty?