Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Built my own intake.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Built my own intake.....

I wanted to do the intake tube mod but i wanted it to look as stock as possible. So i searched and found some poly tubeing.
I plan on feeding it down behind the fog lights for a cold air style kit. For now i just did the tube from the air
box to the tb. Heres the few steps i did to make it work and pics along the way. Its 4 inch from maf to tb.

First the parts:
4 inch dia/ 60 inch long tube, with various bends
1/4 inch hose for breather line from valve cover
2 barbed fittings
2 silicone couplers
4 black anodized hose clamps
(oh and my new grille emblem)

Measured and cut the tubeing to length

I didnt get a pic of it but i filed down a couple molding humps on the tb side of the maf so the coupler would lay flush around the lip,
then i put the tube in place to find my clearance spots.

Of course we have the bolt and fan shroud spot......so i changed to a flatter bolt, and took my stanley knife and shaved a little off so
i had some more room. I did it at an angle so it would look like it came that way stock.

Then refit the pipe to see where i was, at this point i was happy with the clearance because the tubeing is an 1/8th inch thick and even
with it rubbing the little bit itll take a lot before it rubs through.

So then it was on to the vacuum hose, all i did was take a 3/8ths barbed to a 1/4 and put it in the elbow right off the valve cover, ran the new hose behind the tb and then drilled a hole for the barbed fitting in the inside of the tubeing and connected the hose. Of course i couldnt find black fittings so i just painted the one on the tubing before installing it.....

Then once dried installed it........

I think it turned out pretty great, to me it looks stock.

enjoy...
Old 10-08-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good! At first, thought you eliminated the MAF sensor, but see the coupler goes over much of it...Is there enough slack there for engine movement, just curious...

Where did you get the tubing from?

My only suggestion would be to run that black (braided) hose under the tubing, rather than over it; otherwise looks like a clean setup.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very presentable... Nicely done
Old 10-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Looks good! At first, thought you eliminated the MAF sensor, but see the coupler goes over much of it...Is there enough slack there for engine movement, just curious...

Where did you get the tubing from?

My only suggestion would be to run that black (braided) hose under the tubing, rather than over it; otherwise looks like a clean setup.
I got the tubeing from jegs or summit, i cant remember but if you search for air raid 100-400 it comes up on amazon, and jegs, and summit, and some other places. They make it for diy intakes.

As far as the small rad hose, it wasnt long enough to go under, and i didnt want to screw with the t fitting and more hose so i just left it and went over like on the stock pipe.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have some leftover that you'd like to sell? PM if you do I have couplings/clamps already but am looking for some tube like that...

Some reason my edit didn't go thru, but was going to say about that hose that you may be better off running some hard line and use a coupld rubber coupler ends; keep the oem piece for if you want to put it back to stock...no big deal really but it would just make it look even better (not that it doesn't look good already tho).
Old 10-08-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

If you have some leftover pieces, I would also like to get my hands on some. Email is lubelizard (at) bellsouth.net. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Launching!

I got ya on the goin back to stock....thats kinda why i did it the way i did. So it would be real easy to throw the stock stuff back on.

Im gonna try to get the tube the rest of the way down behind the fog light before im done so after i do that ill let you know if i got any left.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get the rubber couplers or did they come with the kit?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good but what is the real benefit over the stock accordion tube? I thought it was the throttle body that was the restriction, not the stock accordion tube.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think it has mostly to do with the smooth radius and keeping it the same ID throughout vs. the stocker with its convoluted inner and how it gets "squished" shortly after the MAF...Don't think you're going to get huge increases, but every little bit helps...The nice thing about this vs. others I have seen is it's non-metallic and won't act like a heatsink so much.

OP - yeah, go ahead and see whatever you have left, if any...no rush or anything, but just keep me posted if you would please...Thx.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

The stock tube flows surprisingly well. It may squish after the MAF, but the volume remains the same, and those vanes inside the tube help smooth the airflow. The stock tube had the same volume and a DIY 3.5" stainless tube I made, and made the same power as the DIY tube. Some of the aftermarket tubes have a very tight radius at the throttle body, which is last thing you want. True, a 4" intake tube isn't going to realize its full benefit until the MAF is upsized, but then most engines aren't going to need it.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Where did you get the rubber couplers or did they come with the kit?

No the whole thing is peiced together. The tube came from summit, the hose clamps came from a shop in northern indiana, the silicone couplers came from silicone intakes.com, and the barbed fittings just came from menards.

Quick Reply: Built my own intake.....