Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Carmax...what a joke!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Don't think you'll have to worry about Circuit City anymore.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HH greg IS circuit city... FYI

I used to work for CC back in the day. And when I applied at carmax as a purchaser they told me because i left CC unfavorably(i quit on the spot when I found a manager stealing my sales from me on my days off and corperate wouldnt step in) they wouldnt hire me.

bad company with horrible corperate practices. hands down.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

**** HH Gregg too then.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:34 PM

I will say old CC > best buy > walmart for quality and customer service. but as a employee. OMG hated it at CC.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I remember when Circuit City, Silo and Good Guys all opened their doors about the same time around here; wanna say ~1990...Never cared for any of them, except when they had a clearance or two on audio equipment...First, Silo went under, then Good Guys, then CC...Didn't realize CarMax was affiliated with CC, interesting...

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Another factor/selling point for trade-in offers are tax savings which could be close to $1500.
We get screwed here in CA and operates differently than most states, afaik...We have to pay the % (was 9.75%; now 8.75%) on the full price of the vehicle, regardless if it's new or used...Really blows, because that's double taxation and adds $$$ to the price of a used car! Then we have the registration fees, that are crazy, but went down a bit now but still and of course all the other BS crapola fees...basically add 10% to the price of a car will get you in the vicinity.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DMM
Truth be told Carmax will screw anyone over. I worked at the Laurel MD store three months after it opened (this was the second Carmax, the first store was Richmond where Circuit City is HQ'd). Long story short, after five years of exemplary service and working my way from technician up to Operations Manager I was fired b/c my 1 y/o son was diagnosed with AML Leukemia.

Circuit City (the parent company) was self insured, to include their Health Care which was managed by Care First. My son cost them almost 600k after three rounds of Chemo and a bone marrow transplant and a eight month stay at Johns Hopkins Pediatric Oncology. He was diagnosed in January and Carmax fired me in August.

When I was fired in August, the EOB's from April were still being processed and started showing up as being declined. I later received a State mandated document for my Cobra medical benefits and my son was omitted entirely, as if he had never existed. In short, they canceled any pending payments and declined every other medical bill even though I had coverage at the time. Very ballsy.

Anyhow, since I was a five year employee, I could only be fired on the grounds of "Loss Prevention". Carmax concocted a half assed accusation that I had had work done to a vehicle that I was purchasing and never paid for it...even though I had the check they had cashed in hand...with the Repair Order number on it. I won the unemployment hearing and filed an EEOC complaint as I fell under the Americans with Disabilities act b/c of my sons condition. Carmax settled out of court after almost two years and still insisted they had done nothing wrong.

**** Carmax.
hey man my brother worked there when it became carmax and after that for about another year he was a tech nick chaney ya know him?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06killerv
hey man my brother worked there when it became carmax and after that for about another year he was a tech nick chaney ya know him?
LMFAO!!! Hells yeah I know Nick. If I remember right, he had the slow 5.0 and I had the fast one, LOL. Tell him Damian said what's up.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My experience with carmax was a comPlete waste of my time! Took a 2003 ecsb to have appraised and or try sell to them, kbb value was bout 8500$ at the time, I was at carmax bout an hour, sales guy comes back all happy and smiley, "good news, we can give u 2800$ today, just say the word and we can make it happen now! I Tolya I was gonna take care of u Mang!
I asked for my keys and left.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to thank everyone for wishing my son the best, he has made a complete recovery since then and is now considered cured for all intensive purposes. My daughter was a 6 out of 6 match plus blood type and he was off of immune suppressants within the first year, which is pretty remarkable. John's Hopkins has included his case and protocol into their academic program.

I got what I wanted from Carmax, my sons medical bills were paid and that was all I was interested in, even though it was a major pain in the *** having to deal with calls and being treated like a deadbeat for all the bills piling up. "Yeah, i'm sure you are really waiting for the non-existent insurance to pay their share"...I almost drove to Denver to punch that bitch in her mouth.

Another thing that did not help me in Carmax's eyes, they started fixing what was considered frame damage on vehicles and selling them on the front lot. The first one was a maroon Sebring convertible, the transport vehicle that brought it from the auction did not tighten the chains down enough and it bounced around in shipment, tearing the holes in the sub-frame wide open where it was tied down.

Even though this was considered frame damage on a uni-body car per their standards, it was sent to the body shop and the sub-frame was welded and bondo'd back as original. I kicked the thing to wholesale again after seeing this and got into a shouting match in the middle of the shop (in front of everyone) with the Senior Operations manager, Dave Kriter, who insisted that it was only cosmetic damage. I told him he was a ******* idiot and had a Senior buyer take a look at it who agreed it was now a wholesale piece.

I heard that Dave later got fired from Carmax also. Carmax had some kind of scam where they brought Puerto-Rican's up here to work as some kind of tax shelter. As you can imagine, they fucked up everything they touched and all of them left after about three months.

Just about everything they ever did was shady.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:35 PM

^ what he said. They claim all this **** but do as much or more shady underhanded **** than most used car lots.

They did save my *** from a HUGE mistake. Almost bought a Z24 cavalier from them. Even put down the deposit. and during transport it fell off the back of the truck and was totalled. Anything short of that they might have tried to fix and sell to me... And I just didnt need to start my car life with a cavalier.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Carmax is overpriced and they try and feed you the line about their expert inspections to explain it away.

I got a quote from them when I was looking to unload my last car. $4500. What did I get from the dealer I ended up buying from? $7500.

I wouldn't have gone back there even before hearing the stories in this thread.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

I had an 02 Tacoma that they wanted to put $6500 in....I was trying to swing a deal on a SRT 300 that was on the lot. I owed 8000 on the Taco and had the 1500 to put with my trade, LONG STORY SHORT. I was informed that they weren't "a conventional dealership" and that they could not take my trade with negative equity. The 300 booked out at my credit union at about 4k over asking price which would've cover the neg eq.....WELL from someone who was a F&I guy and a wholesaler for about 4 years I LOST MY ****. The dude honestly treated me like I was trying to "lie to the bank and so on" I WILL NNNNNEEEEEVVVVERRRRR go to Carmax again and couldn't care less if EVERYONE of them burned TO FREAKIN DAY!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

BTW my 04 is for sale too

Quick Reply: Carmax...what a joke!