Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New Product from UMI Performance- 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
Yeah man, on start up, shut down, and low speed operation (parking lot maneuvers) it sounds like the exhaust is grounded on the frame. Also, there is a vibration from 2100 - 2500 which is right at highway cruising that really drives me nuts. Maybe I got a bad set, but these things are garbage.
Engine mounts don't create vibration, they're simply letting you hear a problem that existed before but you didn't realize it. There are plenty of people (including myself) who have experienced the vibration around 2000-2500rpm, with stock engine mounts and aftermarket mounts. It's not the mounts.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Engine mounts don't create vibration, they're simply letting you hear a problem that existed before but you didn't realize it. There are plenty of people (including myself) who have experienced the vibration around 2000-2500rpm, with stock engine mounts and aftermarket mounts. It's not the mounts.
Understood...it is the degree of amplification that I am interested in minimizing. There has got to be a happy medium between performance and drivability.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
D.K
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finished installing my mounts yesterday, but my car is still down while waiting to finish up the header install. The fit and finish of the mounts is incredible, and they are much easier to work with in that cramped space. Not much more I can add until the headers are in.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone is willing to do a detailed install write up with a few pictures I would credit them back $25.00 on the order they places.

I would need some sort of confirmation from someone that could do it semi-quick. This way a bunch of people weren't trying to do it. I just need it once .

Any takers?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Fedex says mine will be here today....

The 240z started last night so I could probably move it out of the garage and get the V in.

I knew my mounts were shot.... but on the dyno Saturday it looked like the little engine was going to come out of the bay. I need to install mine asap.

I'll do them tonight and take the time to snap some pics and then write it up.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D.K
I finished installing my mounts yesterday, but my car is still down while waiting to finish up the header install. The fit and finish of the mounts is incredible, and they are much easier to work with in that cramped space. Not much more I can add until the headers are in.
DK, where in Maryland are you?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about just sandwiching some dynamat sound deadening material on the top and bottom of the mount.. might deadin some vibrations??
Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ I can't see it doing much. With the weight and the bolts torqued down it will pretty much crush the material.

If you went with enough rubber or something then you would basically run into the same problem again. Either its too soft or too hard - and you have a new point to wear out.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
D.K
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
DK, where in Maryland are you?
I'm in Upper Marlboro. About 15-20 min East of DC.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DMM
Yeah man, on start up, shut down, and low speed operation (parking lot maneuvers) it sounds like the exhaust is grounded on the frame. Also, there is a vibration from 2100 - 2500 which is right at highway cruising that really drives me nuts. Maybe I got a bad set, but these things are garbage.

I originally thought the tune had a lot to do with it, I was wrong.
I put in the cs black mounts recently and they are good so far. There is still some very slight shutdown/start-up shake but nothing near the stock mounts. The big difference I notice is the shutter at slipping the clutch at low rpm is now gone. With the stock mounts if the rpm was under 1k either driving slow or taking off in 2nd my rear view mirror would shake and was more pronounced with a passenger in the car. The passenger motor mount was broken when I removed it so that was probably the cause. I do have the original clutch/flywheel and 80k on the meter.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Launching!

I got 70k on the car original clutch flywheel and am looking to do these solids. They are looking promising as long as they aren't extremely harsh.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Launching!

any updates on an install?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
Understood...it is the degree of amplification that I am interested in minimizing. There has got to be a happy medium between performance and drivability.
or just fix the problem itself.

why is it even being discussed? Ride quality? seriously? Your going to install a part that is designed to take out the slop in the driveline, the exact opposite of what caddy designed their mounts for and then your going to bitch when there are vibes?

Lets come back to the real world, performance or comfort, cant have both.

There is a happy medium... Thats the stock mount. The trade off is more driveline slop and they wear out cause they move allow movement
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't believe the stock mount was designed to fail in 20K miles either. I think there are quite a few who would like a stock ride quality part with longer life.

just my 2c
Old 11-11-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

is the special price still running through November??
Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry been stuck late at work several times this week. Weather is turning back nice so tonight or tomorrow morning they should be in.

Anything will be an improvement over my stock now. They were bad when I bought the car two weeks ago. No I think its just metal on metal.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
is the special price still running through November??
Special offer will run until 11-18, next Friday.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

I will be putting mine in, god willing, tomorrow. I'll have a general review of them tomorrow. Any sort of "break in" method to these? I'd just bolt and go unless there's some hidden tomfoolery to them?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by odthetruth
I will be putting mine in, god willing, tomorrow. I'll have a general review of them tomorrow. Any sort of "break in" method to these? I'd just bolt and go unless there's some hidden tomfoolery to them?
The recommendation I have is to fill them with a few pumps of grease first, before the install... 3 pumps is the most. Also use your finger and put a thick layer on the outside of the bushings. This will keep them quiet and help the bushings last. I don't think they will be greaseable on the car.

Also use good heavy grease, like a Mobil 1 or Super Lube
Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 PM
D.K
On The Tree

Mounts are in and they're great! My stockers were completely shot and these stiffened up the drivetrain. There is a slight vibration at low RPM (1000-1200) but it disappears quickly. I did a header install at the same time, so the vibes may be due to those as well. You will feel the engine cranking and shutting down, but its not a dieseling effect like you get with worn stockers. At idle and cruzing speeds its pretty much like stock. Under throttle, partial and WOT, its pretty much stock.
All in all, I am extremely happy with these UMI mounts. I've driven around on solid mounts and these are nowhere near as stiff feeling. If you're worried about these mounts transmitting vibrations thru your car, these mounts do not cause that to happen. I will say buy at your own risk because some people have extremely low tolerances for anything other than stock softness, but if you're looking for mounts that you'll probably never need to change again, you should definitely give these a look.

Quick Reply: New Product from UMI Performance- 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Motor Mounts