Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

my opinion on CTS-V vs subaru STi. what's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVO > STI for speed.

a evo9 with boltons and a good cam can see 400+whp without all the lag(stock turbo)... And brake boosting is the cure to what little remains.

I still stand by this:
CTS-V > EVO > Legacy GT > STI.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Still cant even begin to compare a CTS-V with an STI, there is no comparison, two totally totally different cars.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcollege
Still cant even begin to compare a CTS-V with an STI, there is no comparison, two totally totally different cars.
Dont worry. I will be posting my comparison of the V versus the Raptor.

Spoiler alert...the V sucks at pre-running and cant take a jump!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whisler151
Dont worry. I will be posting my comparison of the V versus the Raptor.

Spoiler alert...the V sucks at pre-running and cant take a jump!
Neither can the Raptors from what I have read about their frame problems
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

just cant compare the 2 cars!!! this video was before my mods in sig. this video i had a 228r cam and the cold air intake. Also all the exhaust.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Handling. This is where the V just doesnt compair. I havnt had mine to its limits yet. But really it doesnt inspire you to get there either.
I find this to be the weirdest bit in the thread. Granted I've never driven an AWD sports/econo car. But the V is extremely easy to drive hard. It has very predictable limits, is very easy to rotate, and easy to reel back in.

I would say maybe it's the tires, but even on those crapo RS-A's it was still easy and fun. The limits were just tons lower. Now on Super Sports it feels like a damn Superman suit.

I've never driven an AWD car though. I guess maybe I can see how one could describe FWD as more confidence-inspiring to push hard? Mainly because they just plow and never really get out of sorts. But using the gas to control the plow through a turn, fast or not, is not at all fun. I've generally assumed AWD cars are somewhere in the middle between that and RWD fun.

I'm just trying to understand how the V could be described as not confidence-inspiring. It's as fun as any RWD car I've had/driven (mostly Corvettes) and is way more forgiving and controllable at the limit. I'm sure a lot of that is that it is heavier with less grip, so the limits are a bit lower. But a Corvette seems violent in its breakaway compared to the CTS-V. In the 'vettes I always felt like you had to be ready when you put the pedal to the floor. The V you can just do it whenever for fun.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM

I ahvent tracked my V yet. But i do know when driving spirited... Its just that rear end getting squirly under acceleration out of turns and ****. More fun. But not as confidence inspiring.

My Legacy was also much more suspension modded(coilovers/sway bars/endlinks), but it just always felt planted. If you took it too far it was easy to gather back up. AWD gives you a LOT more room at the limit then RWD. While a well setup RWD will outhandle a AWD in teh right hands. But in just any random monkeys hands(mine) the AWD was better for confidence on the street!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Honestly, aurora, Id suggest getting someone to let you drive a STI/EVO on a nice curvy road. The amount of confidence they give you compaired to a RWD car is uncanny. Especially a well setup AWD car. Its amazing what you can do in them and then jut go back to driving normally.

VIDEO TO WATCH ON THE HANDLING OF A EVO
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...lag_636213.htm
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

This comparison reminds me of the Mustang GT 5.0 vs M3 comparison that was all the hype when the 5 liter was released. It's useful for the 1% or so within the already narrow shopping for new 400+ hp car crowd that really needed to see the comparison done before buying.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I've jumped mine hard and no issues. Just a bent skid plate from taking a jump wrong.

For the people that are cruising death valley at 100mph and hit a jump...yeah, that can lead to a bent frame. Its like going to the drag strip in a 04 V with drag radials and a maggie and being surprised when the rear shatters. Common sense people.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98

Name:  Oh-Snap.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  64.2 KB
Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by whisler151
I've jumped mine hard and no issues. Just a bent skid plate from taking a jump wrong.

For the people that are cruising death valley at 100mph and hit a jump...yeah, that can lead to a bent frame. Its like going to the drag strip in a 04 V with drag radials and a maggie and being surprised when the rear shatters. Common sense people.
Raptor= designed for off roading

CTS-V= not designed for drag strip hence the IRS and curb weight

But i will say off roading is pretty damn brutal.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
this thread is ******* useless...is like asking how do you feel about a GSXR600 compared to a Harley-Davidson FLSTF (Fat Boy). Or a non-vehicle metaphor, a apple to a eggplant.

i would like to thank the OP for being an ******* idiot.
Haha! Phucking priceless!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Teching In

I owned an 03 evolution 8 and loved it. Fell in love with sti's too. Turbo and awd is awesome. I had to sell my evolution because my little girl was born, so just this year my wife and I was looking into a family sports sedan. And of course I was wanting an evo. But ended up finding an awesome deal on an 05 CTS-V blk with factory option polished wheels, intake and corsa exhaust. Factory vs factory the evo would jump out of the hole. But by second gear I know the v would pullhard and be ahead by third gear. The thing I missed most about the evo is the awd. When its raining or even damp outside the CTS-V is all over the damn place.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lupers3
I owned an 03 evolution 8 and loved it. Fell in love with sti's too. Turbo and awd is awesome. I had to sell my evolution because my little girl was born, so just this year my wife and I was looking into a family sports sedan. And of course I was wanting an evo. But ended up finding an awesome deal on an 05 CTS-V blk with factory option polished wheels, intake and corsa exhaust. Factory vs factory the evo would jump out of the hole. But by second gear I know the v would pullhard and be ahead by third gear. The thing I missed most about the evo is the awd. When its raining or even damp outside the CTS-V is all over the damn place.
Put some good tires on the car. I swear by it that my car handles just as good if not better in the rain then it does on dry pavement. I run F1 GSD3's.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I have nitrogen vino's on it now. In dry its awesome, just in the wet I can't punch it.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Damn spell check! Nitto invo is the tire I have
Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garrettg
This comparison reminds me of the Mustang GT 5.0 vs M3 comparison that was all the hype when the 5 liter was released. It's useful for the 1% or so within the already narrow shopping for new 400+ hp car crowd that really needed to see the comparison done before buying.
I thought the same thing. I laughed when I read that article. I really doubt that the new Mustang is going to steal potential M3 buyers. In comparison I find it hard to believe that someone who is in the market for a caddy would even consider a subaru or vice versa.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BahnRunner
I thought the same thing. I laughed when I read that article. I really doubt that the new Mustang is going to steal potential M3 buyers. In comparison I find it hard to believe that someone who is in the market for a caddy would even consider a subaru or vice versa.
This is why this thread is stupid...when comparing two drastically different cars, you will have two drastically different opinions.

STi compares to an Evo. A V compares to (AMG) Merc or (M) BMW or even an (S Line) Audi. But since the Audi is AWD too, it will still have very different handling characteristics.

And if you have problems controlling the V, you need to learn to drive or getting bet tires.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
This is why this thread is stupid...when comparing two drastically different cars, you will have two drastically different opinions.

STi compares to an Evo. A V compares to (AMG) Merc or (M) BMW or even an (S Line) Audi. But since the Audi is AWD too, it will still have very different handling characteristics.

And if you have problems controlling the V, you need to learn to drive or getting bet tires.
homeschooling

Quick Reply: my opinion on CTS-V vs subaru STi. what's yours?