Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New V owner and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V owner and have a few questions

Hey guys just bought a 2005 V, has 29k miles on it and all 24 hours that I have owned it so far I love it! But I want to start modifying haha. I have searched the site but wanted to ask as well what you guys have done. Its black so I want to black out the grills, did you guys just buy some or paint it yourself or have a body shop do it? The amber running lights I was going to clear those out where is a good place to find those? Lowering springs H&R or Eibach, I have read up on the two but experience is better then a manufactures write up, as well as spacers to go along with that? And then was going to black out the rear tail lights, was going to do myself but the top light looks like it could be a challenge because of the emblem? Let me know, attach some links, any information is appreciated. Will post pics this weekend as well thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd have a shop do the grilles and tint. I think you'll be much happier with the results over DIY attempts unless you have the professional equipment.

I've got the H&R springs, but I haven't heard anything convincing about the differences between H&R and eibach. As far as I know there's only one type of shock spacer to get from mightymouse.

Save up for some new motor mounts, a shifter upgrade, a new differential bushing, and you're probably going to want some headers too.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plasti dip will be your friend if you decide to take this on yourself.

Buy a can of black plasti dip for about $6, take the time to take off your top grill and paint it with plasti dip (about 4-5 layers). It'll give it a flat black type of look to it, and if you don't like it, you can simply peel it off.

I'd do the same with the tail lights. I'd get a clear plastidip can, spray about 3-4 layers, and then do a VHT tint spray about 3 layers. If I didn't like it, it could be undone because of the plasti dip layers.

Doing it yourself wouldn't be bad, especially if you can hold and spray a rattle can decently. I suck, and I managed to do the outline of the headlights, the grill, etc.

At least with plasti dip, you can always un-do it.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Very nice I will see how much it costs to have it professionally done, you always get what you pay for I could do it but I know it would be way better if a body shop did it. I meant to add that as well, short throw shifter is on the top of my list the throws on the stock shifter feels like a semi ha. What short throw is everyone running?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine from Azn2Dmax on this forum. I think he's got a short wait list as of right now.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

i powdercoated the grills. like it a lot. amen to the motor mounts and shifter upgrade. those are going to be the first things you will want to do so you dont have to mess with them later down the road!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Waxed and took some pictures.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Grill: I bought a second grill that was already painted black, just to see if I would like the look. Since I do, I am going to be taking it to be powder coated or Plasti-Dipped. Paint works ok for a quick job but does not last long at all. I had a body shop install my grill because I had zero time to do it myself.

Fogs/DRLs: Persian-V (user on here) can help with that. You can also do it yourself, just search for How to make your CTS-V fogs clear on google. You can also swap the fogs from an STS-V (make sure they are from a V) into the CTS-V housings. Or you can just buy these LINK.

Lowering: I have H&Rs with the MM Spacers. Eibach, IIRC, does not make springs for the V1 anymore. You have a few options to lower the car. 1. Buy H&Rs (ebay, tirerack, used, etc.) 2. wait and hope used Eibach pop up in the classifieds 3. Cut the stock springs 4.Coilovers. For the spacers, they come up in the classifieds every once in a while or you can PM user MIGHTYMOUSE on here.

Taillights: It is a bit of a challenge to black out the rear lights, but nothing that you couldn't do if you take your time and don't rush it. There are a few companies out there that make vinyl tints for all three rears lights. They come in a template, so it will work with the rear Wreath and Crest on the third brake light.

To find most of the retail products you want, just type it into google and you will find what you need.

The website Cadillac FAQ will be your best friend for most DIY projects. GL and enjoy the new ride.

Quick Reply: New V owner and have a few questions