Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone get soft brakes in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone get soft brakes in the rain?

I have had a ton of mustangs and never had this bad of brake softness in the rain. If I don't slam on them every so often they really get soft for about the first 3-8 seconds. I can hold the same pressure and feel the car brake harder and harder between 3-8 seconds. No problems in the dry at all. Is this because of the ducts pushing the rain into the rotor area or do I just have crappy pads?

Anyone else's do this?

Thanks Dave
Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happens every freaking time and it blows. Not sure why it does it but it is horrible.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Launching!

I've noticed this too if it's raining and my car sits out for a while, when I try to drive it again the pedal gets a bit mushy and it becomes harder to stop. I have to brake check slowly a 1-2 times before it starts stopping normal again. I'm running Hawk pads and they've got plenty of life left. The rotors are stock but still in decent shape.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've noticed that in most cars I've had. I wonder if "performance" pads are more susceptible because the brakes stay cold longer? I mean in the dry, as soon as you touch the pedal they start to heat up. With water, it won't heat up past ~200F until the water is all evaporated. The stock V pads are pretty aggressive. And I run Hawk HPS pads on all my other cars. Possibly if I ran softer stock pads on them I wouldn't notice?

I haven't noticed it as much since I did the "Brakemotive" replacement. It could be the slotted rotors help clear the water from the pads quicker? Or just that they have less heat-tolerant ceramic pads, which bite harder when cold?

I'm just guessing though. I doubt it's the ducts, but maybe the openness of the wheel contributes to it?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KamaSutra
I've noticed this too if it's raining and my car sits out for a while, when I try to drive it again the pedal gets a bit mushy and it becomes harder to stop. I have to brake check slowly a 1-2 times before it starts stopping normal again. I'm running Hawk pads and they've got plenty of life left. The rotors are stock but still in decent shape.
That's likely because the rotors get covered in a layer of rust. That happens to most all cars after sitting in the rain, washing them, etc. You have to knock the rust off and then they are fine.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it happens to me too...but only since putting drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads.. stock stuff i never had a problem with other than the horrid brake dust killing my wheels
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

I noticed this for the first time last night. It was the first time driving in the rain after installing Hawk HPS pads. Seems after they warm up a bit they are all good. It was a little unnerving the first time I tried to stop!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's part of the ABS, thats to safe you from locking the breaks, and going into a skid.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Launching!

I dunno... I dont drive mine in the rain.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

mine used to do this untill i swaped out the stock pads for a set of Hawks pads....
Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think its the ABS. I am having issues with my ABS disingaging and not coming back on unless I drive my car for 5 or 10 miles, then stopping, turning of my car, turning it back on and then I have ABS among other things that comes back on but my brakes did the same thing the other day in the rain when my ABS was off... by the way if anyone knows how the frick to fix that with out me going to a shop to get raped then please post up! Lol
Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

This is the first car I've owned that doesn't have splash shields on the back of the rotors, and I think that contributes to what we're feeling.

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
That's part of the ABS, thats [sic] to safe [sic] you from locking the breaks [sic], and going into a skid.
I'm hoping you just forgot to put one of these - - on the end of your post so that we would know you were kidding.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Launching!

I've had a few cars that this happens to, including this one. I just figure it's because the the big, open wheels (which show-off the big brakes/calipers) allow water to soak the rotors/brake pads while moving. So it takes a second or two to wipe them dry when you first hit the brakes.

Don't follow too closely in the wet weather.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

My camaro did it with ceramic pads...I put HP+ pads on the V and it doesn't do it.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I am going to try some new pads. Hp+ the best?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

wow! i really noticed it today. i was like wtf is going on. i rarely every drive in the heavy rain so i never noticed it till now.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Don't waste your money on new pads. I swapped to Hawks and it's still the same in the rain. Scares the **** out of me every time. I think it's just something that happens with "big brakes". I don't blame the pads as much as those nice big rotors which gives l
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Don't waste your money on new pads. I swapped to Hawks and it's still the same in the rain. Scares the **** out of me every time. I think it's just something that happens with "big brakes". I don't blame the pads as much as those nice big rotors which gives lots of surface are for the water to build up on.
I also disagree with the ABS theory. Besides that just simply being BS, I've actually had my ABS kick in BECAUSE of this issue. My assumption is that one rotor dries off quicker than another. With the increased pedal pressure you have to apply in wet braking, when this condition happens, the car brakes better at one wheel, causing lock-up.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
This is the first car I've owned that doesn't have splash shields on the back of the rotors, and I think that contributes to what we're feeling.
Hmm, that's an interesting point. I never thought about those things providing any real function.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

This has happened to me also but when it happens the cars pulls to the right. It only pulls in the rain though, and never happens when dry.

Quick Reply: Anyone get soft brakes in the rain?