Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Driveshaft Shop Releases there single Carbon Fiber and Aluminum CV Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy2k
Good call, You'll be so impressed with it that you'll want to display it somewhere instead of putting it underneath the car its that nice.
Just found out they are closed until the 2nd. Looks like the car will be down for about 3 weeks until they can make the new shaft. I got the old drive shaft out yesterday and the carrier bearing was destroyed. I've finally replaced all the factory weak links.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear that carbon fiber driveshafts also take some of the hit/shock away from the differentials helping them live. Not positive on this but it could be an added benefit to the V1's weak rears.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Launching!

I hear that carbon fiber driveshafts also take some of the hit/shock away from the differentials helping them live. Not positive on this but it could be an added benefit to the V1's weak rears.
I'm more of a road racer these days, so I'm hoping my Gen 4 rear will hold.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take some pictures during the install. I forgot to when doing mine but i am sure others would like to see the fitment and quality. Report feedback as well.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Take some pictures during the install. I forgot to when doing mine but i am sure others would like to see the fitment and quality. Report feedback as well.
Will do.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to know the weight difference between the Stock Driveshaft, Aluminum 1 piece, and the Carbon 1 piece please guys!

-meaty
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't weigh them, but I was surprised that the carbon shaft was so light. Felt like only 20lbs if I had to guess
Old 01-08-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

checked website, and says 18lbs on their site for the carbon.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, boy ... just what I need. ANOTHER mod to spend money on.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Driveshaft Shop
There is a "Safety factor" built into this equation, keep in mind that the numbers shown are the SAE ratings for Critical speed. This being said its a Theoretical number. No one has taken shafts and run them until they break to get this reading. its a Calculated number based on the natural frequency of the material being used. That being said there are allot of other factors to consider when calculating this number. Critical speed is a altered buy several things, one being the level of balance. we are balancing this on a machine that we can run the shaft up to 9500Rpm or with in 20% of critical speed (witch ever comes first) most balancers will spin at a very low speed like a tire balancer and will only account for the weight centerline. this machine is able to spin the shaft to real world speeds and we are able to see exactly what goes on at those speeds. If the u-joint, tube or any other part of the assembly is not 100% we see it immediately and can correct it.

this is the new balancer we use

This being said the level of balance being done is crucial to the speed it will start to have an issue, we have to state the Critical speed for legal reasons but i will say this, we also have a Hines Eliminator balancer. its considered one of the best in the industry and if we take a fully balanced shaft from that machine and put it in the new high speed one we can take the balance further. In the Drivetrain manual put out by SAE it states that many things will effect the critical speed. the material of the tube (this is Alcoa DOM tube,the best) how the parts are mounted. there are perfect center lines on each end of this car (not a U-joint type yoke that has centering issues) it also is using a CV on one end that is much more stable in an angle situation than a u-joint and the one that will effect the number the most is the suspension. all of these calculations are from the 60's and 70's when the driveshaft would move up and down with the suspension, when a car like this hits a bump at high speed it has the ability to bring a drive shaft into its unstable area so they gave it a very large safe factor.

This being said the SAE book also stated if the shaft is mounted rigid (like an independent diff is) numbers will be higher and it also states that the numbers being reached safely are challenged every day. Again due to "legal" reasons the 150MPH number has to be given.

here is a terrible video of the machine in action, the shaft can be brought up to higher speeds but the company that makes the balancer states that the best way to balance the shaft is to go with in 20% of critical, this is a very long one we make for a SRT8. (we will have a much better video in a short time) Were not boyscouts when it comes to this.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCzP7YL3-k
I'm using a CF shaft in one of my hotrods, no issues whatsoever...ever. You've gained a customer with the professionalism of this presentation! Thanks...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rand49er
Not really a mod, but more-so a replacement part for when your stock driveshaft's carrier bearing goes bad. There is no buying just the carrier bearing when it goes bad forcing us to buy the entire driveshaft from GM which is expensive.

So Frank made the 1 piece aluminum and 1 piece carbon shafts for us which is an awesome alternative.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rand49er

Hey Rand!

Just ordered the CF.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys, we were waiting for one of the parts for the Cv but can in yesterday so the orders will start shipping out ASAP
Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Mine Shipped today. Will install next weekend. (if I can get one of the neighbors to sign for it on Thursday)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Launching!

great, keep us in the loop on how you like it
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Driveshaft Shop
The Aluminum shaft is rated at 150Mph and like the gentleman says its due to the length of the shaft. I know most would want a higher critical speed but this is for the guys who are looking for a replacement and will not exceed 150MPH, the carbon fiber is rated at 250mph.

p.s. MPH is an abbreviation for Miles Per Hour (for those wondering)
What is the dia'' of carbon ds? and what is the warranty??
Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GREG O.
What is the dia'' of carbon ds? and what is the warranty??
The tube we used on this it a 3-1/4 diameter, i had it custom made in a High Modulus design, the fiber used-the angle of wrap will change the characteristics of the tube. our spec was 4500lb car with 1000Hp and 1000lbs of torque. We have a 1 year warranty but if anyone here has done business with us on the past they know we have not been in business for this long with out doing the right thing (business was started in the late 60's)
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Driveshaft came yesterday. Will install on Saturday.

Didn't weigh the coupler. Kept getting different readings when I weighed the driveshaft depending on how I was holding it. I could have stepped on the scale while holding it and subtract the difference...but that doesn't make a good picture.

Average weight was about 21 lbs.

Nice looking piece. Very Good customer service.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Got the notice mine is being shipped.

I had concern over the use of a solid coupler (driveline shock), but after a nice conversation with them it was explained that since the CF can windup almost 30% (or about 90 deg) which is a hell of a lot more then the rubber doughnut will, it isn't needed.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

lucky

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Shop Releases there single Carbon Fiber and Aluminum CV Driveshafts