Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Driveshaft Shop Releases there single Carbon Fiber and Aluminum CV Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Shop Releases there single Carbon Fiber and Aluminum CV Driveshafts

just letting you guys know we have released the 04-07 CTS-V Aluminum and Carbon Fiber Driveshafts. These are the best and most vibration free shafts you can get for the car being its using a CV on the back (but a custom one thats stronger and has a 300m spline) and is balanced on one of the highest speed balancers on the planet (click here for balancer info) The Aluminum shaft has a Critical speed of 150Mph, it might be a little lower than most would want but it is a great alternative to the factory 2 piece in strength and balance. We also have the 3-1/4 High Modulus Carbon Fiber shaft thats the smallest diameter offered for the platform and is also cured in our custom oven for a perfect bond. the shafts are made to order and will ship with in 7-14 days.

(Click here to order)

Carbon Fiber shaft is 1499.99

aluminum shaft is 899.99 (both ends of out Aluminum shaft are welded)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So they are both one piece? Sexy.....
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you cant go over 150MPH with these?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Launching!

Im with Wcryan... I am not the most knowledged coming to the v8 community I have been in the turbocharged 4cyl/rotary scene forever. Curious what the 150 means
Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those look BITCHIN!

I take it the design eliminates the center carrier "bearing/support".
Old 12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also wanna know what the 150 means.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about speed for the carbon shaft?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Sweet! Gotta get some of my good customers to get these!
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The basic reason for is the rpm limit of the driveshaft.

Every driveshaft has an inherent limitation due to its geometry and material. The two piece advantage is that you end up with two shorter shafts, and are able to spin them at higher rpm before hitting this limit.

A long 1 piece as provided here will have a set specification by the manufacturer (this case 150MPH) based on the final gear ratio. Exceeding this speed may result in catastrophic failure due to harmonics generated in the shaft.

There is all sorts of literature on this, google driveshaft harmonics.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Launching!

The Aluminum shaft is rated at 150Mph and like the gentleman says its due to the length of the shaft. I know most would want a higher critical speed but this is for the guys who are looking for a replacement and will not exceed 150MPH, the carbon fiber is rated at 250mph.

p.s. MPH is an abbreviation for Miles Per Hour (for those wondering)
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
Sweet! Gotta get some of my good customers to get these!
you know if you guys need anything for your showroom i have quite a few display parts we can send your way.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

so if you go 151MPH the thing is gonna shatter or break?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wcryan
Is that a serious question? if your so worried about always hitting 150mph, get the carbon one.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heh...I am more concerned about what happens at 251.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ lol. My answer was half sarcastic, half serious. A LOT of things are rated for something, but have a "breaking strength" of something way higher. That's what im trying to get to.

That is a huge price jump to go to the carbon fiber, so yes. If I am interested; questions will be asked
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://jalopnik.com/5869650/why-do-2...keep-exploding

this is why you need to follow the speed ratings for your driveshaft. (not saying driveshaft shop made these in the mustang, just showing a failure of one)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Launching!

^ lol. My answer was half sarcastic, half serious. A LOT of things are rated for something, but have a "breaking strength" of something way higher. That's what im trying to get to.

That is a huge price jump to go to the carbon fiber, so yes. If I am interested; questions will be asked
There is a "Safety factor" built into this equation, keep in mind that the numbers shown are the SAE ratings for Critical speed. This being said its a Theoretical number. No one has taken shafts and run them until they break to get this reading. its a Calculated number based on the natural frequency of the material being used. That being said there are allot of other factors to consider when calculating this number. Critical speed is a altered buy several things, one being the level of balance. we are balancing this on a machine that we can run the shaft up to 9500Rpm or with in 20% of critical speed (witch ever comes first) most balancers will spin at a very low speed like a tire balancer and will only account for the weight centerline. this machine is able to spin the shaft to real world speeds and we are able to see exactly what goes on at those speeds. If the u-joint, tube or any other part of the assembly is not 100% we see it immediately and can correct it.

this is the new balancer we use

This being said the level of balance being done is crucial to the speed it will start to have an issue, we have to state the Critical speed for legal reasons but i will say this, we also have a Hines Eliminator balancer. its considered one of the best in the industry and if we take a fully balanced shaft from that machine and put it in the new high speed one we can take the balance further. In the Drivetrain manual put out by SAE it states that many things will effect the critical speed. the material of the tube (this is Alcoa DOM tube,the best) how the parts are mounted. there are perfect center lines on each end of this car (not a U-joint type yoke that has centering issues) it also is using a CV on one end that is much more stable in an angle situation than a u-joint and the one that will effect the number the most is the suspension. all of these calculations are from the 60's and 70's when the driveshaft would move up and down with the suspension, when a car like this hits a bump at high speed it has the ability to bring a drive shaft into its unstable area so they gave it a very large safe factor.

This being said the SAE book also stated if the shaft is mounted rigid (like an independent diff is) numbers will be higher and it also states that the numbers being reached safely are challenged every day. Again due to "legal" reasons the 150MPH number has to be given.

here is a terrible video of the machine in action, the shaft can be brought up to higher speeds but the company that makes the balancer states that the best way to balance the shaft is to go with in 20% of critical, this is a very long one we make for a SRT8. (we will have a much better video in a short time) Were not boyscouts when it comes to this.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCzP7YL3-k
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
http://jalopnik.com/5869650/why-do-2...keep-exploding

this is why you need to follow the speed ratings for your driveshaft. (not saying driveshaft shop made these in the mustang, just showing a failure of one)
What you have a link to here is a 6cly mustang shaft, what ford did in there infinite wisdom is use a special Electromagnetic pulse to re-form the driveshaft tube into a spline to slide in and out for the suspension movement (we use a CV on out mustang shafts and have no issues, in fact were working on a design to correct this problem for them now) so they have taken a round tube and forms it into a spline, a tube has to twist during load, these cars at 135mph are pushing allot of wind and its our feeling that the tube is being twisted to the point where the ends of the formed section are becoming a stress riser and causing the tube to fail. I can keep you up to date on our progress with this is you like.

sliders are a balance nightmare and the reason we use CV's instead of them. this slider is in the middle of the shaft, by far the worst place for High speed stability

Last edited by Driveshaft Shop; 12-22-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Driveshaft Shop
you know if you guys need anything for your showroom i have quite a few display parts we can send your way.
Ill be in touch! Anyone in particular I should ask for?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Launching!

sure, ask for me Frank

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Shop Releases there single Carbon Fiber and Aluminum CV Driveshafts