Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are headers or other mods causing all these high oil temps for street driving? I am not here to comment on the use of an oil cooler but like most curious why its needed for street driving. There must be a logical reason as I can't get my oil to reach the commonly advised 212 mark on the street no matter what the driving conditions and ambient temp. Track days no problem 230-240 easy after a few sessions but on the street breaking 200 is not even happening. I am about to install headers though so wondering if they will bump the temps a bunch and explain 200+ street oil temps.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

here are some pictures as promised. They are not great thou and i have none with the nose off of the car. I removed the factory power steering cooler and bracket, used a piece of angled aluminum across the front of the frame rails (same bolts used to hold the stock ps cooler) and mounted the cooler to that brace, then bought a smaller version of the cooler to replace the power steering cooler (which i had planned on doing at the same time). the only thing i dont like about my install is the oil cooler will not drain. I thought of putting it on top of the bracket so it would drain but did not want to cover up that much of my intercooler for the supercharger with hot air coming off of the oil cooler. So up front now i have a meth pump, powersteering cooler, engine oil cooler, supercharger heat exchanger and a pump plus the supercharger reservoir all packed in the front of the car. Its tight but it works. sorry about the pics-they are not easy to get !!!!
Attached Thumbnails Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-002.jpg   Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-007.jpg   Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-009.jpg   Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-017.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

a few more pics from various angles. Also a pic of how the powersteering cooler is mounted to the engine oil cooler....
Attached Thumbnails Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-019.jpg   Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-016.jpg   Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-013.jpg   Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-010.jpg   Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V-oil-cooler-012.jpg  

Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Troll Banned For Creating Multiple Accounts (thebigjmsho, JimmyHemroid, AND Junior1))

Originally Posted by s-cam
a few more pics from various angles. Also a pic of how the powersteering cooler is mounted to the engine oil cooler....
Very nice setup, Mocal cooler adapter seems to fit just fine with headers..(yours anyway) And they (parrots) said it can't be done...lol Hey you didn't happen to install an aftermarket oil temp gauge and sender did you? I would be good to have an accurate oil temp and compare that to the OE oil temp gauge. See how close it really is. This adapter has a port for an aftermarket temp sender? Or is it for the stock sender? M12x1.5?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cadzila
Very nice setup, Mocal cooler adapter seems to fit just fine with headers..(yours anyway) And they (parrots) said it can't be done...lol Hey you didn't happen to install an aftermarket oil temp gauge and sender did you? I would be good to have an accurate oil temp and compare that to the OE oil temp gauge. See how close it really is. This adapter has a port for an aftermarket temp sender? Or is it for the stock sender? M12x1.5?

Thanks
i ran a manual oil psi previously but no additional oil temp sender.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the photos. Where is the cooler bracket attached on/around the core support? Looks like the header had to be loosened to mount the adapter?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Thanks for the photos. Where is the cooler bracket attached on/around the core support? Looks like the header had to be loosened to mount the adapter?
I had the motor out so i put it on then and the headers after. I would think looking at it that I would loosen the header to install in the car. There is a spacer block that could be removed that is 1/4 ish inch thick that would create a little more room towards the header but makes the oil filter tough to remove.

If you look in behind the bumper of the car. the bolt that the origional power steering bracket bolts to is where the angle brace is bolted to across the front to the other side. its approx 29 inches long. Then the cooler bolts up through the angle aluminum with 4 bolts. The bracket on bottom of the cooler bolts the new power steering cooler and the engine oil cooler together and they bolt as a pair to the angle iron (aluminum). I should have taken some pics when it was apart- my bad. I have had it apart so many times that i forgot about taking pictures...
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by s-cam
I had the motor out so i put it on then and the headers after. I would think looking at it that I would loosen the header to install in the car. There is a spacer block that could be removed that is 1/4 ish inch thick that would create a little more room towards the header but makes the oil filter tough to remove.
Man, that's a tight fit! I'm just not comfortable with that. Looks like if you removed that spacer you would have to have the flats of the hose end positioned just right, or the point of the hex head would interfere with the filter.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cadzila
Your attitude hasn't changed either since you (brown nose) aren't banned from that "other" (cadigay) site.

lmao you gota love these clowns. They are like parrots. Repeating what they hear (or read) somewhere else like it was gospel. You parrots crack me up. Thanks. In this case he posted the question for info on an oil cooler.

So your truck motor doesn't need an oil cooler for street driving. Good for you. slowlaneblues06 wants an oil cooler on his truck motor. Even though YOU say he doesn't need one. Do you have any ideas, suggestions for him? If not, go on back to the cadGaySho site. Your BBuddies miss you.
I see you're still a dick.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brings no tech to the discussion, attacks other members. Banning in 3..2..1.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy with and LS6 swapped RX-7 uses the stock RX-7 oil radiator that he claims has an internal thermo. I'll have to get more info from him.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Cadzila's Banned Troll Account

Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
I see you're still a dick.
Get um Bu..Bu
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jmargo
My buddy with and LS6 swapped RX-7 uses the stock RX-7 oil radiator that he claims has an internal thermo. I'll have to get more info from him.
I've read the same thing elsewhere, but have never figured out what the story is. I've seen pictures of the cooler, and it's definitely a bigass cooler, and OEM quality is typically a good thing.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 01-17-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I've read the same thing elsewhere, but have never figured out what the story is. I've seen pictures of the cooler, and it's definitely a bigass cooler, and OEM quality is typically a good thing.
If the cooler has an internal thermostat and no internal bypass built in then one must be careful where/how one plumbs the oil feed from the LS motor. The Lengenfelter block adapter for example has no internal bypass, therefore if the cooler internal thermostat simply closed off the flow, you would have no oil flow whatsoever in the engine. Your spin-on types that replace the oil filter with an oil in and oil out port also have no bypass. Use caution and check the opperation first before costly damage. Just my advice..
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Troll Banned For Creating Multiple Accounts (thebigjmsho, JimmyHemroid, AND Junior1))

:

Window Licker.. lol
Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 PM

lulz....
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He has a spare that i'm gonna look over and see what the deal is.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by jmargo
He has a spare that i'm gonna look over and see what the deal is.

spare....hmmm...spare? Rx-7?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyHemroid
lulz....
LULZ: a popular catchphrase used to express that one carried out a specific action for the sake of personal comic enjoyment. This is sometimes used to to explain why one has posted offensive, far-fetched or disgusting contents on image boards and discussion forums.

Da troof.

Quick Reply: Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V