Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V

Has anyone here added an oil cooler to their V?

I found where Lingenefelter sells adapter plates that bolt on to the block, but can not find a hose and cooler kit.

Any ideas, suggestions?

I am asking because I take the car on longer road trips, like from North Alabama to Little Rock, Dayton, OH, Detroit, MI. FL beaches etc. and have noticed higher oil temps with steady driving, eninge and trans, but thats another story, tried to get one from dealer and part discontinued.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

What is your definition of "higher oil temps"? Unless there's something broken, there's absolutely no reason you should see high enough oil temps during highway cruising (or just about any other street driving) that you would need to add an oil cooler.

AFAIK there are no oil cooler "kits" for the V. There are a variety of threads here and on cadillacforums about guys piecing their own setup together.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have/plan on having headers, its a real PITA if possible at all. If you are not road racing, this should not be a concern. They had tons of problems with the sensor being inaccurate due to the sensor in the pan (the temp sensor is combined with the oil level sensor) being out of calibration or having poor ground contact at the back of the passenger cylinder head that connects to the body right next to the lift rod for the hood on the passenger side.

Not something I would worry about, honestly.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

i just did one on mine. i got a mocal thermostatic adapter that went on the side of the block, 10 feet of 10an hose, 3-90 degree fittings, 135 degree fitting And a 17 row cooler. i built a holder for the cooler infront of the intercooler, and put a bigger power steering cooler in it at the same time. i have headers and a fully built 416ci with a supercharger that i felt was running too hot. my new cooler set up will fix that.
i have not done before and after comparison in temps as i am waiting for a custom idler bracket so my belt will hold 16 lbs of boost....
pm me if you need more details.

Sheldon
Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by s-cam
i just did one on mine. i got a mocal thermostatic adapter that went on the side of the block, 10 feet of 10an hose, 3-90 degree fittings, 135 degree fitting And a 17 row cooler. i built a holder for the cooler infront of the intercooler, and put a bigger power steering cooler in it at the same time. i have headers and a fully built 416ci with a supercharger that i felt was running too hot. my new cooler set up will fix that.
V1 or V2? If it's a V1, which headers do you have?

I have Kooks headers on my V1 and the Mocal thermostatic adapter won't fit - it's too thick. I wish it did fit, because it would definitely be the best way to go!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

its a v1. to be honest it is a tight fit but it does fit. that being said i dont remember what headers are on the car. it was one of the only mods the previous owner did and i did not do.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a v1. to be honest it is a tight fit but it does fit. that being said i dont remember what headers are on the car. it was one of the only mods the previous owner did and i did not do.
Photos please.

Last edited by lubelizard; 01-08-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

How/can I install and Oil cooler?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ler/index.html
Old 01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Photos please.
i will be back from vacation in a couple days. i think i have some photos while it was apart. i will post some then as soon as i get home.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Troll Banned For Creating Multiple Accounts (thebigjmsho, JimmyHemroid, AND Junior1))

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
What is your definition of "higher oil temps"? Unless there's something broken, there's absolutely no reason you should see high enough oil temps during highway cruising (or just about any other street driving) that you would need to add an oil cooler.

AFAIK there are no oil cooler "kits" for the V. There are a variety of threads here and on cadillacforums about guys piecing their own setup together.
The dude just wants to add an oil cooler. Who cares why YOU think he doesn't need one. You seem to think that cuz you (track your car) you are somehow privilege to certain equipment that the rest of us are not. This is America! Even a guy who doesn't play follow the subaru on a road course can have an oil cooler if he wants.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Your attitude obviously hasn't changed since being banned from the other site.

He's right, there's absolutely no need for an add-on oil cooler for a street only driven V. The OP can save money and use it elsewhere. If he was already sure what he wanted to do, he didn't have to post the question.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cadzila
The dude just wants to add an oil cooler. Who cares why YOU think he doesn't need one. You seem to think that cuz you (track your car) you are somehow privilege to certain equipment that the rest of us are not. This is America! Even a guy who doesn't play follow the subaru on a road course can have an oil cooler if he wants.
I didn't realize I was infringing upon his inalienable rights of oil cooler ownership.

Anyway, back to (tracking my car) and playing follow the Subaru.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

He's right, there's absolutely no need for an add-on oil cooler for a street only driven V. The OP can save money and use it elsewhere. If he was already sure what he wanted to do, he didn't have to post the question.
sorry but i have to disagree. i was seeing 250-260 degrees oil temp the oil was thinning out alot. At the high temps my oil psi was lower then i would like to see at an idle. that being said in stop and go traffic on a hot day i like the added insurance of having an oil cooler. in your set up maybe there is no need but my engine set up needs it.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you running the cooler with an external thermostat ?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Hello all, new member/V owner here, but long time corvette/track guy....

I too have found/thought the oil temps to be a little high for regular street use. I was able to lower the temps by a few degrees by doing two simple things...removing the caddy engine cover and removing the "hood gasket" that seals the hood to the firewall down by the bottom of the windshield. I did them seperate, the cover really didn't help, but removing that hood gasket made a difference. Anyway, I too am looking at getting a cooler installed. Mine has headers as well, and will be tracked from time to time. I am a long time corvette/track guy, and tranny temps were the real issue there, but on the V the oil temps seem to be the issue. I know the T2 V's had oil coolers, along with tranny and diff coolers, but not sure which engine oil cooler they used, I'll see if I can find out. I'd also like to se if a T1 cooler would would work on a V....Anyone have any insight on the T1 cooler on a V?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry but i have to disagree. i was seeing 250-260 degrees oil temp the oil was thinning out alot. At the high temps my oil psi was lower then i would like to see at an idle. that being said in stop and go traffic on a hot day i like the added insurance of having an oil cooler. in your set up maybe there is no need but my engine set up needs it.
Damn, I only saw 230-240 on the track in 90* ambient temp. I live in florida and typically oil temps are at 190-210. I do have a 160* thermostat. If you guys are getting that high of oil temp you might want to check to see if your sender is working properly, they have been known to read inaccurately.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

If your gauge is displaying high oil temps while street driving, the sensor may be bad, the ground, the rest of the cooling system may need attention, something may be blocking airflow through the engine bay, the LS6 fix may have to be employed, etc. Point of the matter is the car doesn't need an external oil cooler for street driving. My LS2 driven city/hwy in Miami does not see over 200* any time of the year. Whether the gauge is spot on or not, that's unknown, but the rest of the cooling system is properly maintained, and those temps are rock solid consistent.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Lot's of threads on this issue. Try this

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2275666

I did the fix in post #98 and it fixed my inaccurate oil temp readings. I later installed a cooler for track use.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cadzila
Wow man, sorta over-reacting? I think it's a valid question to ask what he thinks is high. Especially since he mentioned trip driving. Maybe he's used to seeing the oil temp stay below 100F in short trips and is flipped out it gets up to 190F on long ones. In that case, he's better off with some information on what kind of temps are normal than on how to install an oil cooler.

That said, the guy also answered his question that there aren't any ready-made kits available for the car.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Troll Banned For Creating Multiple Accounts (thebigjmsho, JimmyHemroid, AND Junior1))

Your attitude obviously hasn't changed since being banned from the other site..
Your attitude hasn't changed either since you (brown nose) aren't banned from that "other" (cadigay) site.

lmao you gota love these clowns. They are like parrots. Repeating what they hear (or read) somewhere else like it was gospel. You parrots crack me up. Thanks. In this case he posted the question for info on an oil cooler.

If your gauge is displaying high oil temps while street driving, the sensor may be bad, the ground, the rest of the cooling system may need attention, something may be blocking airflow through the engine bay, the LS6 fix may have to be employed, etc. Point of the matter is the car doesn't need an external oil cooler for street driving. My LS2 driven city/hwy in Miami does not see over 200* any time of the year. Whether the gauge is spot on or not, that's unknown, but the rest of the cooling system is properly maintained, and those temps are rock solid consistent.
So your truck motor doesn't need an oil cooler for street driving. Good for you. slowlaneblues06 wants an oil cooler on his truck motor. Even though YOU say he doesn't need one. Do you have any ideas, suggestions for him? If not, go on back to the cadGaySho site. Your BBuddies miss you.

Quick Reply: Oil C0oler for LS2 CTS-V