Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

So my diff is still making a rubbing noise on turns after fluid change

Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my diff is still making a rubbing noise on turns after fluid change

About 3 weeks ago I noticed my diff was leaking from the axle seal so as a precaution i drained all the old fluid out and refilled it with only the 75-90 and saved the limited slip additive bottle for when id change the seals out. Ever since I refilled it, i noticed that there was a slight "rubbing" sound on slow turns, so after doing some research found out because there was no LSD additive for the clutch packs, this is why it was making that noise, but after I fill the diff with the additive the noise will go away...So i drove like that for approx. 2-3 weeks...

fast forward, I brought the car in to have the seals changed out, along with bringing the mechanic the 2 bottles of 75-90, 1 bottle of GM LSD additive. I told him to make sure he puts the additive in the first "batch" of oil he puts in. Anyways for about 1 day the noise was gone, but now its back. what should i do, if there is anything. Should I try and doing the fluid myself, any tips when doing the fluid change, any other brands besides the GM stuff??? I'm even wondering if he did put the GM additive or maybe he didnt put it in a certain way.

I really dont want to loose the LSD in my car so please help me as to what i could do. thanks....

2006 cts-v diff

Last edited by family-man; 01-07-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dump the fluid, do a bunch of figure 8's in a parking lot..then refill..you can try to fill with amsoil, it had the friction modifier already in it.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, dump fluid and fill..then after figure 8 dump and fill again.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

so how many figure 8's should I do in total? also, after the 2nd re-fill, should i do some more figure 8's? or should be good without doing the figure 8's
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

No idea how many you should do, figure a good 15-20 minutes worth. No need to continue after you've filled the second time.

My diff was groaning going around corners and this is what fixed it...granted 3 month later the front seal went out and cooked the diff so it was replaced...so I'm unsure of the long term effects.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

did the front seal have anything to do with the groaning of the clutch packs, or a whole seperate issue from what Im experiencing...do those cts-v wheels come like that from the factory in chrome finish? mine are painted aluminum (stock) and i wouldnt mind the chroming. wonder how much it costs, I think itll look very sleek black with chrome.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The seal was a different issue...no, the chrome was not factory, did an exchange on ebay for them. Almost 1k if I recall...mine may be for sale if the price is right, tired of maintaining the chrome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So my diff is still making a rubbing noise on turns after fluid change