Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

rear broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
I will do that, Cadillac dealership in Waldorf said 1200 for install and 1593 for new diff.
They can rebuild for 1093 maybe...
I have been told by both dealership service folks and by an aftermarket shop (specializes in Vettes, but did a CTS-V diff build for a race car) that there are no service parts available for the diff. The shop that built the racing diff had to get parts directly from Getrag, which they said cost big bucks.

In other words, the dealership can't rebuild it, they can only replace it.

I'll try to remember to check my receipts at home, but I paid over $2k (parts and labor) to get a new diff through Lindsay. I know they gave me one estimate, and then I told the service writer, "Oh, I'm getting parts through Luke," and the estimate dropped by ~$700.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do go to Lindsay, go see Luke first !
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and the replacement cost 1600. I am trying to find some with a trail so i can get my car to a friends house that has all the equipment to open her up and see whats really broken...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I go with the partial creative steel kit??? will this rear fit in it? granted its 3.73 ratio

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-8-8-Alu...item231910b168
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

I talked to Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and the replacement cost 1600. I am trying to find some with a trail so i can get my car to a friends house that has all the equipment to open her up and see whats really broken...
From experience, there will be not much to do, most likely the case is cracked somewhere.

I am not aware of any "repairs" that have been possible on the diff.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking the case is cracked but no fluids anywhere... I started her up this morning and put her in gear and slight grind and she tries to move... gotta get her to my buddies this weekend to tear her down and find out what is broken and what need to be done before i go any further. Found out it might be a shaft broken from one of the axles or the spider gear in the diff... could be any of those. gotta tear her down and see. i will keep you guys in the loop... hoping its just an axle... cross ur fingers!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

There have been axle ends that broke in other cars. That is a much easier fix if there is not internal damage.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

I have a rear diff I can sell you for cheap. Mechanically it is fine, no whine and has 60k on it. One side of the diff bolts on and off, it has an arm which broke on mine.

rear broke-jgurjl.jpg

Not sure what broke on yours, but if it was not this arm, you can just bolt yours on.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

To bad you dont live by me id do it for free.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wish bro... nothin like free but i would bring pizza & beer!!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol ill take the beer i have a car lift and every tool cherry picker engine tranny stands would be alot easier.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idrvarocco
I have a rear diff I can sell you for cheap. Mechanically it is fine, no whine and has 60k on it. One side of the diff bolts on and off, it has an arm which broke on mine.

Not sure what broke on yours, but if it was not this arm, you can just bolt yours on.
Which Gen diff is it ?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile diff.

where in Md. are u located?? and does your friend with the lift, is he a good mechanic.....and able to help u do the labor?? I might be able to help u with an 06 complete rear and axles,etc.. for i am about to jump off the fence onto a CS or G Force build....My rear diff and axles have exactly 30k miles of which 4k are from burnouts from previous owner...lol
Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

If there is no fluid spilling everywhere and it tries to move when you put it in gear, you more than likely broke off the axle stub inside the diff. Don't try to drive it any more, the diff is probably salvageable but there will be metal bits in the gear oil which can cause damage.
Remove the diff, pull off the side cover and get the broken axle stub and metal pieces out of the case. Buy a new axle shaft (much cheaper than a diff) and reinstall.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kl2onik
If I go with the partial creative steel kit??? will this rear fit in it? granted its 3.73 ratio

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-8-8-Alu...item231910b168
Yes, that will work. The word on the street is get the ford racing gears though. I guess they are super quiet
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Cadzila's Banned Troll Account

Originally Posted by wcryan
Yes, that will work. The word on the street is get the ford racing gears though. I guess they are super quiet
word on the street is you are a rider
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I live in Southern Maryland not to far from Andrews Air Force base. Yes sir my buddy has all the required tools and from what i hear is a pretty good wrench turner! His V is maggied and he did all the work himself including the tune......lol. The more hands and help the faster i am back on the road since its 60+ degree's again today!!

Originally Posted by GREG O.
where in Md. are u located?? and does your friend with the lift, is he a good mechanic.....and able to help u do the labor?? I might be able to help u with an 06 complete rear and axles,etc.. for i am about to jump off the fence onto a CS or G Force build....My rear diff and axles have exactly 30k miles of which 4k are from burnouts from previous owner...lol
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats sounds like it... No fluid, no nothing... Positive traction rear ends just spin if the diff cant grab both shafts correct? Thanks for the info bro!! I'm new back to the American scene... I have JDM muscle also but what fluids do you guys run in the diff's? Everything in my JDM's are Motul... What do you guyz run in the V's?

Originally Posted by GulfM3
If there is no fluid spilling everywhere and it tries to move when you put it in gear, you more than likely broke off the axle stub inside the diff. Don't try to drive it any more, the diff is probably salvageable but there will be metal bits in the gear oil which can cause damage.
Remove the diff, pull off the side cover and get the broken axle stub and metal pieces out of the case. Buy a new axle shaft (much cheaper than a diff) and reinstall.

Good luck.

Last edited by NOLAG05; 02-01-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Amsoil for me.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Positive traction rear ends just spin if the diff cant grab both shafts correct?
Correct, the diff has clutch packs so if one side is broke its going to provide a little force to the other, non broken, side. That's why your car is trying to move, the posi trac just doesn't have enough "grab" to move your car. Posi trac's will not function like a locker or a welded diff, which you can break an axle, or lift a tire in the off road world, and still give 100% power to the other wheel.

Guys have also broken the outside stub near the wheel bearings, but I think when they let go the axle shaft usually thrashes around on the rear suspension and its very obvious what broke. And breaking the outside stub seems less common.

I broke an axle about a year ago and my brother posted a pic of it, which turned into a thread of everyone showing their broken axles too, lol.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...diff-weak.html

Quick Reply: rear broke