Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

rear broke

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmargo
Which Gen diff is it ?
It is a v1 diff.

FYI, this is not the actual picture of it (of course it looks the same, but not as shiny). I can take some pics if you want.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very helpful bro!! So if i am lucky enuff that this is what happened to my babe i need to be looking to upgrade the axles. Not trying to drag race her... maybe some rolling action on the highway but slim to nil drag stripping...lol. OK maybe once or twice to see what
she can do... Debating on a maggie install so the axles with need to handle that power. You guys have been a great help.
She goes to the shop today to get her up on the lift and see whats what... i'll keep you guys posted!

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Correct, the diff has clutch packs so if one side is broke its going to provide a little force to the other, non broken, side. That's why your car is trying to move, the posi trac just doesn't have enough "grab" to move your car. Posi trac's will not function like a locker or a welded diff, which you can break an axle, or lift a tire in the off road world, and still give 100% power to the other wheel.

Guys have also broken the outside stub near the wheel bearings, but I think when they let go the axle shaft usually thrashes around on the rear suspension and its very obvious what broke. And breaking the outside stub seems less common.

I broke an axle about a year ago and my brother posted a pic of it, which turned into a thread of everyone showing their broken axles too, lol.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...diff-weak.html
Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
OK maybe once or twice to see what she can do
Make sure to have the $$$ for a new diff before heading to the track.

If you want to see what this car can do, take it to a road track (summit point is not that far).
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Money is not the problem... its the wife who controls it...lol. I have an STi for Summit and VIR. I figure once or twice and from there it will be once in a blue moon on 495 or 50...lol

Originally Posted by rjoffe
Make sure to have the $$$ for a new diff before heading to the track.

If you want to see what this car can do, take it to a road track (summit point is not that far).
Old 02-05-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well there is good news and bad news... the Bad news is that the Pats just lost... and i manage to break the inner CV on the right rear axle... the Good news is i managed to break the one part that no dealership seems to have...lol.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:30 AM
TECH Regular

Try posting here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ost-all-v.html

Lots of folks upgraded their axles, and have leftover parts.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanx to everyone that helped out!! Parts from slowlaneblues06 and the mechincal know how and having done this a few times before me... DMM...lol. My monster is back on the road as of last night!! From here i am looking to do a 8.8 swap in the rear after the winter(if it ever snows in MD).
Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanx to everyone that helped out!! Parts from slowlaneblues06 and the mechincal know how and having done this a few times before me... DMM...lol. My monster is back on the road as of last night!! From here i am looking to do a 8.8 swap in the rear after the winter(if it ever snows in MD).
Glad I could help out. Have to say, have not seen a cage break like that before, but at least it was a somewhat quick and cheap fix. And...you forgot pics, everyone loves to see pics of carnage....
Attached Thumbnails rear broke-image02102012161918.jpg   rear broke-image02102012161941.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

If you get a chance, see if you can find the part number of the diff. I'm curious which version it is.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will have to jack my car up and see... I'm ridin kinda low... ask DMM...lol.

Originally Posted by rjoffe
If you get a chance, see if you can find the part number of the diff. I'm curious which version it is.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds beefy lol good luck with the build

Quick Reply: rear broke