Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

OUT with a Spec - IN with a Monster

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default OUT with a Spec - IN with a Monster

Let me first start off by saying I've had fairly decent luck with Specs products in other cars. I've installed them in tons of F-bodies and Corvettes without any issue other than the common need for shims and/or an adjustable master.

The short and (very) sweet version:

A 2004 CTS-V was dropped off for a clutch install on Nov. 28th. Per my recommendation he ordered a Spec Stg 2 designed for the CTS-V. Fast forward through 6 transmission R&R's, and 1 trip back to Spec on our dime in which they said "it's fine" I decided to hang it up with Spec and we ordered a Monster Stage 2 kit designed for the CTS-V with the modified LS7 slave.

Funny thing. Engagement is now like a razor blade cutting through hot butter on the first shift (rarity on Cadillacs), driveability is perfect, and we didn't have to remove the transmission 6 times trying to make it work. After speaking with (Steve I think?) over at Monster, I think I'll be shifting all my business over to them from now on. This Monster has been GREAT in this car, and I've always had good luck with previous Monster kits.

If you're looking for a good clutch that won't break the bank and works on the first try without the need for shims or a $300+ adjustable master, check out Monsters stuff. They saved the day on this situation after spending over a month trying to make another product (that obviously wasn't going to) work.

Cheers.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear that thing finally has a clutch. I've been waiting to see when it finally was able to drive again.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

thats the same clutch i plan on buying in a few weeks
Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am pulling the Monster out of mine ASAP.

Been dealing with the chatter for over a year, but then I don't drive that much.

Replacing it with a dual.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 PM
LSX Mechanic

We have no issues with chatter so far. As for the dual disk, I'm not sure why anybody would install one of those in a Cadillac. It makes them incredibly annoying to drive. Whatever tickles the pickle I guess.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian
We have no issues with chatter so far. As for the dual disk, I'm not sure why anybody would install one of those in a Cadillac. It makes them incredibly annoying to drive. Whatever tickles the pickle I guess.
I heard just the opposite.

I just can not slip the Monster enough to get a proper launch, and that is from a stop sign, not racing.

The pitts if stopped on a hill.

The chatter would literally rattle a filling loose.

I ended up with red spots on the floor from the trans fluid that was shaken out.

One thing the Monster doesn't do and that is slip.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

You must not have had that SPEC installed correctly! Either that or you have a hydro problem. See these types of issues are usually caused by fluid transfer issues (sarcasm and general BS spewn out my ***)

I'm very happy with my Exedy twin. Had the same issue with a spec 3. They said hydraulic problem. I installed an Exedy twin, all my problems went away instantly and never came back using the same hydros I used with the spec.

Last edited by raven154; 01-28-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by heavymetals
I heard just the opposite.

I just can not slip the Monster enough to get a proper launch, and that is from a stop sign, not racing.

The pitts if stopped on a hill.

The chatter would literally rattle a filling loose.

I ended up with red spots on the floor from the trans fluid that was shaken out.

One thing the Monster doesn't do and that is slip.
Concerning the twin, I've never installed one that wasn't literally on/off. Anyone who tells you they aren't is lying to you. Some of them definitely don't chatter, but you basically have to "launch" the car to get it going from a stop with most twin disks.

I'm not sure what disk material you're using, but some materials will chatter more than others. I'm not some Monster cheerleader but I can say for sure I've never had a Monster clutch chatter and I've used 15-20 of them over the past 2 years. You could possibly have a bent disk. See that a lot when people use the bolts to pull the trans in the rest of the way if it isn't falling straight in the hole. If you're using a Stage 2, I'd replace the disk first before spending the $ on a twin disk. I think you've got a bent disk.

Originally Posted by raven154
You must not have had that SPEC installed correctly! Either that or you have a hydro problem. See these types of issues are usually caused by fluid transfer issues (sarcasm and general BS spewn out my aas)

I'm very happy with my Exedy twin. Had the same issue with a spec 3. They said hydraulic problem. I installed an Exedy twin, all my problems went away instantly and never came back using the same hydros I used with the spec.
Yea, pretty much the same stuff. The slave was brand new, the master bled down fine, and we were using very expensive synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid. Like I said, it was a funny thing. When the Spec was in it was all about the hydraulic problems. So apparently this Monster clutch deployed a platoon of little green men that repelled down inside the top of the master cylinder and repaired it's insides because we now have beautiful engagement and shifting.

Last edited by Damian; 01-27-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chatter is a common thing that unsprung "puck" type clutches exhibit.

I am not the only one that experienced this with Monster.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Chatter is a common thing that unsprung "puck" type clutches exhibit.

I am not the only one that experienced this with Monster.
I don't use the puck clutches on daily driven cars. Not really a good idea IMO. So I can't comment on how their puck style clutches drive. Never used one.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll agree with ya.

It ended up not being a good idea in that it didn't work out.

I know one guy replaced the puck disc with a full disc (from Monster) and that "fixed it".

I decided to replace the whole thing.

It doesn't matter whether it is a DD or a racer, if you can't get a good launch, it sucks.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damian, what would cause a Monster clutch to chatter? Besides the bent disc. I have a friend with a monster 3 in a GTO, it chatters pretty bad. Could his driving style be causing it? Or is that just how a puck type clutch acts? Just trying to decide what to go with next.

Back on topic, Good work with the V. Ill be giving you a call in the next few months for a tune.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
Damian, what would cause a Monster clutch to chatter? Besides the bent disc. I have a friend with a monster 3 in a GTO, it chatters pretty bad. Could his driving style be causing it? Or is that just how a puck type clutch acts? Just trying to decide what to go with next.

Back on topic, Good work with the V. Ill be giving you a call in the next few months for a tune.
Aside from a possible bent disk it could just be the clutch material. Has he called Monster about it yet? Any time I've ever talked to the guys down there they've always been knowledgeable and helpful.

I don't think I've ever installed a Stg 3 from Monster so I can't comment for sure on how it "should" or "shouldn't" drive.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

my twin is easier to drive then the stock dual mass thats was in that car when i got it. No idea what made you think a twin is hard to drive.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian
Aside from a possible bent disk it could just be the clutch material. Has he called Monster about it yet? Any time I've ever talked to the guys down there they've always been knowledgeable and helpful.

I don't think I've ever installed a Stg 3 from Monster so I can't comment for sure on how it "should" or "shouldn't" drive.
No he claims its normal for a puck style to do that. But I wouldnt know. I have no experience with them. Its been kinda pushing me from going with the monster.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just bought a spec stage 3 for my gto

Hope it works out okay.. GRRR
Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

The spec 3 I had was a puck style and it chattered pretty bad too. My Exedy twin is so smooth it like driving a stock clutch, without all the hydraulic problems! No lie! If your looking for a twin that locks up good and is smooth, try an Exedy! I have talked a few people into getting one after I installed mine and they will tell you the same thing. I'm honestly not sure I will ever use anything besides Exedy now. They are expensive, but they sure make life easy after you install it.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
my twin is easier to drive then the stock dual mass thats was in that car when i got it. No idea what made you think a twin is hard to drive.
Well, obviously you're a liar. And so am I, because the Fidanza twin disk in my car worked perfectly fine. I literally changed nothing about the way I drive the car. It is not an on/off switch, but since I'm saying that, I'm a liar.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 AM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Well, obviously you're a liar. And so am I, because the Fidanza twin disk in my car worked perfectly fine. I literally changed nothing about the way I drive the car. It is not an on/off switch, but since I'm saying that, I'm a liar.
Smooth is a relative term. Considering these cars are getting cheap enough for teenage kids to own them, their idea of smooth may be different than mine. I've never driven a twin disk in a Cadillac I enjoyed driving.

Don't derail my thread with smart *** remarks, thanks.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Not trying to be a smart *** but have you driven an Exedy? Honestly I'm not an Exedy dealer or anything. It's just that good!

Quick Reply: OUT with a Spec - IN with a Monster