Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Getting rid of the stupid dual mass flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, my cost at work is pretty much what GMPD list their parts as, minus the wicked high shipping prices.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
yeah, my cost at work is pretty much what GMPD list their parts as, minus the wicked high shipping prices.
I never had issues with shipping, but it is a moot point since Scoggin-Dickey is cheaper.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the slaves DO NOT come pre-bled. you will need to use the typical clutch bleeding progression for this car after installing the new clutch and slave setup. It's fairly simple. After you attach the bleeder, crack it and try and let it gravity bleed for as long as you can, then you gotta close the bleeder, pump it up, have someone hold the pedal, crack the bleeder, close it, pump it back up and repeat all while keeping a close eye on the fluid. this is something you're going to have to do regularly owning this car.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thinking of putting one of these in eventually however have been reading and am confused at why people are putting these into our cars that have a maggie??? seems silly since it is on a 505hp car that weighs 1000lb less than we do. Was thinking a stage 2 monster based on one of the posts here. Around 800 for the whole monster setup seems smarter than having to pull the ls7 I spent 600 on earlier. IDK just my 2 cents, however I drove a maggied v with an ls7 last week with a short throw on it and absolutelly loved it compared to my clunker
Old 02-05-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but then you gotta think to yourself. If these shitty stock clutches we have in our cars are holding maggies, why cant the LS7?

Ive heard mixed stuff and asked the shop I go to, and they said go with the twin disk, but the LS7 will hold if you dont launch your car and want to pay less. They only charge $400 dollars for a clutch install, so i'm gonna go this route
Old 02-05-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wcryan
but then you gotta think to yourself. If these shitty stock clutches we have in our cars are holding maggies, why cant the LS7?

Ive heard mixed stuff and asked the shop I go to, and they said go with the twin disk, but the LS7 will hold if you dont launch your car and want to pay less. They only charge $400 dollars for a clutch install, so i'm gonna go this route
You are absolutely right and ive heard mixed reviews as well. Granted I would love a twin disk "but he can not afford" lol. The car is not worth as much to me to dump a clutch setup like that into it. The ls7 felt great when I drove it last week but then again that car had a short throw and all the proper mounts and bushings. Also I never launch the car anyways cause I **** bricks in fear of blowing the rear) I did twice and that was enough. Also is that 459 or whatever deal you are talking about include everything you need for the install aside from labor obviously. If so I might just grab it and say *** it
Old 02-05-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You just need to buy the slave. But ive heard you can find on for about 80-90$ for somewhere. I forget where
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The remote bleed line is worth every penny. I can't really think of a better way to bleed it without putting a 5" notch in your bellhousing. Also worth not being either on your back or having to have a lift to perform a simple bleed.

The original clutch discs are actually pretty good, but the flywheel is/was the real problem. I think an LS7 would put the power to the ground well, but it would probably compromise the longevity of the clutch when used on such a heavy car. It's like pulling a light trailer (think motorcycle or jetski) everywhere you go.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ the LS7 light flywheel is the problem, from what ive read. We'll see how the regular flywheel does here pretty soon
Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ the LS7 light flywheel is the problem, from what ive read. We'll see how the regular flywheel does here pretty soon
Not sure what you're referring to here. Do you mean that the lighter flywheel is why the longevity is shortened?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if this adds to the conversation, but here's where I got my remote bleeder:

http://www.thelapd.com/
Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

I plan on ordering the kit from luke at lindsey soon and having them install it.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Not sure what this means
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raven154
Not sure what this means
I dont think he meant about the life expectancy of the clutch but rather the chatter you get from lightened aluminum vs steel. Idk The maggied LS7 I drove shifted smooth as butter. Had a B&M shifter and all the bushings. I fell in love with the car.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Guys, quit making it hard on yourselves; all of the prices are above in my post where I outline it.

Originally Posted by 54inches
I have one question as I just noticed the applications for the speedway motors:

Fits T-56 throwout bearings off the following applications:

98-02 LS1 F-Body
97-04 C5 Corvette
04-06 Pontiac GTO.

Will this kit still work?

Also it is not assembled, which is perfect for me as I like to build not buy everything!
Any of you guys that have the LS7; did the remote bleeder work as what I am finding is the remote bleeders are not showing for the LS7s. I would think it would be the same.....

Originally Posted by kl2onik
Thinking of putting one of these in eventually however have been reading and am confused at why people are putting these into our cars that have a maggie??? seems silly since it is on a 505hp car that weighs 1000lb less than we do. Was thinking a stage 2 monster based on one of the posts here. Around 800 for the whole monster setup seems smarter than having to pull the ls7 I spent 600 on earlier. IDK just my 2 cents, however I drove a maggied v with an ls7 last week with a short throw on it and absolutelly loved it compared to my clunker
If you don't need the monster, then why do it?

Originally Posted by kl2onik
You are absolutely right and ive heard mixed reviews as well. Granted I would love a twin disk "but he can not afford" lol. The car is not worth as much to me to dump a clutch setup like that into it. The ls7 felt great when I drove it last week but then again that car had a short throw and all the proper mounts and bushings. Also I never launch the car anyways cause I **** bricks in fear of blowing the rear) I did twice and that was enough. Also is that 459 or whatever deal you are talking about include everything you need for the install aside from labor obviously. If so I might just grab it and say *** it
Take a look at my links and everything above. The 459 is the Light, but not the LIGHTEST flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and arp bolts. You can get the LIGHTEST flywheel for another $100. I priced out the slaves as well.....

You just need to buy the slave. But ive heard you can find on for about 80-90$ for somewhere. I forget where
Any parts store.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Not sure what you're referring to here. Do you mean that the lighter flywheel is why the longevity is shortened?
There is an Aluminum flywheel for the LS7 conversion, but it is not a good idea for our heavier cars......that point is also detailed above.

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
I plan on ordering the kit from luke at lindsey soon and having them install it.
That's probably the best bet for those that are not in that area, but for those that are mechanically inclined or have a good shop, I would go to Scoggin Dickey and get their kit....
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"If you dont need the monster why do it?"

"Take a look at my links and everything above. The 459 is the Light, but not the LIGHTEST flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and arp bolts. You can get the LIGHTEST flywheel for another $100."

"There is an Aluminum flywheel for the LS7 conversion, but it is not a good idea for our heavier cars......that point is also detailed above."

Thought the extra $100 is for the aluminum flywheel...

and when you start adding you have $459+$100 for the light wheel+ give or take $100 for the slave you are just shy of 700 without shipping... The monsters stage 2 are 800 and better...

This is why it makes sense
Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Nope the 459 COMES with everything but the slave and remote bleeder....We do NOT need the lightweight flywheel, an 18 lb flywheel is too light for us........

The monsters are 800 plus slave, plus bleeder......
Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...center/sdls7ck

LS7 Clutch Kit; Pressure Plate, Disc & Flywheel $459.95
Part Number: SDLS7CK
Brand: Scoggin Dickey Parts Center
SKU: SDLS7CK
GM LS7 Pressure Plate, Disc & Flywheel. Also includes GM flywheel and flexplate bolts.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just pulled my ls7 out due to melting a piston and it looks brand new.. It's got 20k on it and countless power shifting with 503 rwhp. I'll be staying with this set up with my motor being built and maggied and zr1 cam. I might even spray a 100 shot through it. If it'll hold that it'll be just fine
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

That is awesome! Thanks for letting us know!

Quick Reply: Getting rid of the stupid dual mass flywheel