Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Short throw shifter thread....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Save your money, all the shifters for the car suck. Its the linkage that kills the feel and not one shifter truly improves on that. I ran the B&M and UUC bushings, and for the money and pain in the *** it was to install i wouldnt do it again.

Just my .02 without the sugar coating.
I see what you mean but I disagree. I have a B&M shifter, and when I first installed it over 4 years and 40k miles ago, it was a drastic difference and I loved it. Shifts were tight, short and precise. Now, the shifter linkage setup has developed a lot of slop that has been slowly destroying the shifter feel. This is not the fault of the shifter, but as you said the way the linkage is setup, and the wearing of the crap bushings that GM put in there. The throws forward and backward are still much shorter than stock, but the side to side play has become terrible.

I will be replacing all of these linkage bushings as per Cadzilla's instructions, with which he was successful in tightening the shifter back up. I'm hoping that this brings the feel back to how it was 4 years ago.

So, yes, the linkage setup is crap and is what it is, but a short shifter is definitely worth $200 and a couple hours of install time IMO. It will never feel as nice as a short shifter in a vette, but it's still much much better than stock.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess Im used to driving cars with real shifters like MGW, pro 5.0 etc. Definetly killed the entire feel of the cadillacs shifter. Even with UUC bushings the side to side play was horrendous. I honestly dont remember what the stock shifter felt like though, all i remember was being pissed that the B&M did nothing for side to side play.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once I decided I wanted a short shifter, I then went & found the **** I wanted. Once I found the ****, I got the thread type & had azn2dmax put that on. Worked perfect, looks awesome. The only problem is my boot bezel was already missing tabs & the boot is much snugger, so I'm CONSTANTLY pulling the ******* bezel up!

And I can swap the **** out really easy:
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Anyone know the thread size on the Katech shifter off hand? I'll see if I can search it online but I'm just wondering what **** options I'll have if I buy this aftermarket shifter I'm looking at with the bushings. Tempting to mod the stocker so I can choose the thread size I want but at the same time, the solid billet shifter as opposed to the stock 2-piece with rubber insulator might feel a bit better and tighter anyway.

Quick Reply: Short throw shifter thread....