Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Headlight replacement... bulb and possibly housing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight replacement... bulb and possibly housing...

I have a drivers side low beam headlight out. It was like that when i bought the car from my buddy. He gave me the replacement bulb new in the box but he didnt get a chance to install it before i bought it as it just went out a couple days prior to me purchasing it. What is the easiest way to replace the bulbs in these cars? I heard a rumor that the bumper cover needs to be completely removed to do it?? Is that true??

Also, I've noticed my headlight housings seem to hold a little moisture inside when it rains. Neither housing appears to have any cracks or anything and are actually in really good shape. The side that has the bad low beam bulb is open in the back so it makes sense why that side would get moisture in it. My buddy started trying to swap it from under the hood and removed the old bulb before realizing it was going to be difficult to get the new bulb in without damaging it in the tight space he had to work with so he left it alone for the time being but didnt put the little cover back on the rear of the housing. So... needless to say, i noticed that side getting a little foggy with moisture. Then the other day when it rained again, the other housing with the good headlight in it seemed to have a little moisture in it as well.

What would cause them to do this? Car is squeaky clean on carfax and appears to have never had any repairs or paintwork done on it. Wondering if these housings are still good to use or if i should go ahead and replace them both so they are brand new with no leaks guaranteed? They are both in good shape cosmetically.

LMK fellas!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Launching!

The rumor is true.

Moisture inside of a headlight housing indicates that there's moisture trapped inside. Some housings are sealed to be water tight. Some are designed with drainage holes so that they can dry out on their own if moisture enters.

Take them apart and dry them out. Try to see if there are any visible leakage areas and seal them up. If you don't feel like messing with all that just buy new ones. They wont be cheap though..
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have some very small hands, the easiest way is taking the bumper off.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the help Edmund! Ill take them both out since ill obviously have the bumper cover off already and take a good look at them. I didn't see any cracks or spots where they could be leaking on the lense. They are actually is really good shape compared to come of the more faded ones i've seen. I'll price some new ones incase though. I figured they wouldn't be cheap.

01... Small hands is not me. lol Wish it was thought cause i'd like to avoid pulling the cover. Oh well.... guess its coming off.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Find a friend with small hands...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

You'll be surprised how easy the bumper comes off once you do it the first time.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM

While your at it do your corner lights with the LED replacements.

I baked and painted then resealed my LGT headlights. WHen I did I used RTV sealant to get it good and water tight after.

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
While your at it do your corner lights with the LED replacements.

I baked and painted then resealed my LGT headlights. WHen I did I used RTV sealant to get it good and water tight after.
LGT headlights?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM

legacy GT. Old car

This was stock
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Ill prob just pull the cover and replace the corner bulbs with LED's like you said. Prob do silverstars in the high beams so they look slightly more blue than stock. I'd like to do 6000k HID's up top in the low beams and install a 6000k HID kit in the fogs as well. I know the fogs will need the whole kit but to go 6000k up top, can i keep factory ballast and just change the bulb?

I noticed my LP lights are out too. I need to get some LED bulbs for back there too. How hard are they to replace?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwank
You'll be surprised how easy the bumper comes off once you do it the first time.
Exactly. Removing the bumper is EASY, just tedious. VERY EASY. You won't need any other tool except a flat head screwdriver for the first 15mins.

I've had mine off twice in the last 3 months.

Get it up on stands/ramps, start removing those push pins. If you use ramps, you'll need to get the wheels up off the ramps to turn them to get the fender liners. You do not have to remove the wheels.

And actually, it's easier to do that than wrestle with trying to find the bulb housing, unplug, unclip, reinsert, reclip, and plug in. It was hard enough to seat the plug with the bumper off (bro tip: take BOTH rear covers off the headlight to plug it back in, gives you better access).

If you're going to take it off. I would advise you to get ALL LED bulbs in there while you have it off. The running lights in the HLs, the side markers, the fog lights, the turn signals (you'll get fast blink though, but meh). Also get the some Silverstar high beams, HID bulbs for the headlights. When I put my HID fogs in ONLY, I *INSTANTLY* hated how yellow the lows were. I had to get those changed immediately, hence why my bumper was off twice! After all that, I didn't do my highbeams & those are the only yellow lights left in my front:

Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I noticed my LP lights are out too. I need to get some LED bulbs for back there too. How hard are they to replace?
The rear is almost same thing as front! You have to remove that whole plastic part in the center of your trunk to change license plate lights. I've got the LEDs for that too.

Don't balk at the higher price LEDs, you get what you pay for & there IS a difference. I got some cheapies for my front turns & they're pretty dim. My lil 194s with 4 LEDs @ 2watts in the headlights are brighter than my 72 LEDs in my turns (at least it feels that way). And they cost about the same.

I got my headlights/running lights from v-leds.com . . . they have coupons regularly on facebook. Use the 2w 194s in the front, their smaller 194s for the side markers.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for all the info bro!!! Very helpful!! Ill be tackling this asap! Just want to order all the lights first so i can knock it all out at once!

Im going to make a list of bulbs/part #'s to ensure i get all the right stuff beforehand and have it all on hand ready to be installed when i pull the cover.

I want 6k HID's in the headlights and the fogs and LED's everywhere else (side markers, corners of the headlights, LP lights, etc) and silverstars for high beams.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the info bro!!! Very helpful!! Ill be tackling this asap! Just want to order all the lights first so i can knock it all out at once!

Im going to make a list of bulbs/part #'s to ensure i get all the right stuff beforehand and have it all on hand ready to be installed when i pull the cover.

I want 6k HID's in the headlights and the fogs and LED's everywhere else (side markers, corners of the headlights, LP lights, etc) and silverstars for high beams.
There is a thread on the other forum with all the bulbs needed. Look for my recent threads, I linked to specific lights I ordered for all those replacements. I do know they were OOS of the 6K 2w 194s recently.

All told, I LOVE the clean fogs look + HID/LED lights.

If you're going to do all that, may as well get the ebay fogs too!

There, I just helped you spend all $450 I gave you.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LAYGO
There is a thread on the other forum with all the bulbs needed. Look for my recent threads, I linked to specific lights I ordered for all those replacements. I do know they were OOS of the 6K 2w 194s recently.

All told, I LOVE the clean fogs look + HID/LED lights.

If you're going to do all that, may as well get the ebay fogs too!

There, I just helped you spend all $450 I gave you.
Sweet! I'll look it up. The factory ballasts worked just fine though right? Just had to replace the bulb to a 6k?

And yeah man, clean/clear fogs with with HID's and LED's looks legit!

I prob will go with the ebay fogs. I have a good buddy that can clear my stockers with the lexan but the HID's prob wont project the way i want them to out of those.

And yeah man, i didnt think it was gonna be cheap. lol
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Launching!

For headlights, just buy D1S HID bulbs in the color of your choice. For fog lights just buy a 35W small/slim ballast HID kit in matching color.

Silverstar bulbs will still look yellow in comparison to 6000K HID. I replaced my high beams with a pair of Luminics Pure Blue bulbs. They're slightly "bluer" than 6000K HID. Honestly, once you install HID fogs, you'll probably NEVER need to use the high beams again, so it doesn't really matter what bulbs you put there.

Definitely also replace the 194 corner bulb with a "cool white" LED replacement.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet! I'll look it up. The factory ballasts worked just fine though right? Just had to replace the bulb to a 6k?

And yeah man, clean/clear fogs with with HID's and LED's looks legit!

I prob will go with the ebay fogs. I have a good buddy that can clear my stockers with the lexan but the HID's prob wont project the way i want them to out of those.

And yeah man, i didnt think it was gonna be cheap. lol
Yea, I just bought some 5k or 6k (forget which) Diamond White D1S bulbs & used the stock ballast. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

But again, I linked to the specific things I bought in another thread, just too lazy to go & find it.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the help fellas! And yeah... I'm not really too worried about the high beam bulbs. I know the color will look more yellow in comparison but anything better than a basic clear halogen bulb should be a little better. I'll rarely use them im sure. But for the rest, they will all be replaced with HID's and LED's.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help fellas! And yeah... I'm not really too worried about the high beam bulbs. I know the color will look more yellow in comparison but anything better than a basic clear halogen bulb should be a little better. I'll rarely use them im sure. But for the rest, they will all be replaced with HID's and LED's.
I never use the hi's with the HIDs! But it's easy cheesy to throw a silverstar in there.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... just figured i'd throw them in while i got the lights out. Don't wanna have to pull the bumper cover and lights again for awhile. lol

Quick Reply: Headlight replacement... bulb and possibly housing...