Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Transmission noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission noise?

I've noticed a somewhat troubling noise in the transmission area of my recently purchased V.

Background on the car- 06, 81k miles. Stock with Borla catback, CAGS deleted/removed.

Sound is most prevalent in 1st-3rd gears, no where near as noticeable in 4-6. Nearly silent on the beginning of a cold drive, but at its worst within 15 miles ( after trans has warmed up to normal operating temp ). Sound is not apparent when when cruising under light load or decel. 1/4-1/2 throttle is when I have noticed it most.

As far as the sound goes, the best way I could describe it would be a couple of marbles being bounced around in a box and grinding, but muffled ( if that makes any sense). Sound comes from directly around/under the shifter area. If I let the car coast out of gear, its dead silent, whether the clutch is in or out. I did not seem to notice any difference when the shifter was left in gear or not when pressing the clutch. Car shifts without issue. Clutch pedal is very light ( coming from an 03 Cobra, and my Camaro with a Monster Stg3& Tick master, so my perception of effort may be skewed), engagement begins 1/4-1/3 from the floor.

Has anyone ever had this issue or any ideas? The only thing that is popping in my head would be the input shaft on the trans, but I have not seen any issues with them on the forums. I'd like to have an idea of what it is so I can point the dealership in the right direction, I like this car so much I dont want to be without it longer than absolutely necessary
Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Launching!

I had a noise similar to this and the dealer said it was my after-market cat back rubbing the drive shaft. With the car on a lift I could see the mark it left. Easy fix tho, try checking it out.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GFallen
I had a noise similar to this and the dealer said it was my after-market cat back rubbing the drive shaft. With the car on a lift I could see the mark it left. Easy fix tho, try checking it out.
That would make sense, will check it out.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

I am not sure if the cts v uses a pilot bearing or bushing i had a similar noise in my trans am ended up being a worn out pilot bearing. But it also had a bad vibration and noise above 120mph coming through gear shifter.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you lug around in (any gear other than 1st) under 1500 RPM?

^not good on trans^
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it doesn't grind gears? I had the same thing happen to my trans, took it for a rebuild, the gear was cracked, 1st and 2nd synchro about fell apart, and input shaft got slightly scored. ended up with a new input shaft a few months later.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
Do you lug around in (any gear other than 1st) under 1500 RPM?

^not good on trans^
Can you elaborate on this? Because my tranny feels and sounds like it is loose. After buying my car a few months ago, I discovered the skip shift and played around testing it. I know what you mean about the "lug" and the trans clanks around when it goes from 1st to 4th. I think it lugged too much and came loose. I've also noticed some grinding noise coming from the clutch area where the transmission meets the engine. The car is a 2000 z28 and has 66,000 miles on the original clutch. Time for a replacement?

Quick Reply: Transmission noise?