Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Pulling the Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the Transmission

When pulling the transmission is it necessary to drill out the rivets in the shifter console or is there another (easy) way around this process?

I'm looking into shipping my transmission off to be rebuild and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into. It seems very odd to me that it would be riveted in from the factory but I'm sure GM had their reasons.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MacLEAN
When pulling the transmission is it necessary to drill out the rivets in the shifter console or is there another (easy) way around this process?

I'm looking into shipping my transmission off to be rebuild and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into. It seems very odd to me that it would be riveted in from the factory but I'm sure GM had their reasons.
You should be able to reach up from under the car and disconnect the base of the shifter stalk from the linkage that attaches it to the transmission. You only need to drill out the rivets to pull the shifter stalk itself as far as I know. The the pivot 'ball' is sandwiched between the parts held together with the rivets which makes it a permanent fixture to the console - the connection you need to unbolt is under the car where the shifter sticks through the floor.

(full disclosure, I've never pulled the transmission but I've replaced the shifter and exhaust so I've seen how its all connected - someone will jump on this if I'm wrong for sure).
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

If you unbole the bottom of the shifter form the linkage to the trans, and remove the clips for the two other bars at the trans, then no need to mess with the rivets.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the quick responses, sounds like a better way to go.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slowlaneblues06
If you unbole the bottom of the shifter form the linkage to the trans, and remove the clips for the two other bars at the trans, then no need to mess with the rivets.
^this.

Quick Reply: Pulling the Transmission