Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Sparco seat install (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparco seat install (PICS)

Getting close to finished. See post #82.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ject-pics.html
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

No offense, just wondering...but what is the reason behind going black and not tan to match the rest of the interior?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
No offense, just wondering...but what is the reason behind going black and not tan to match the rest of the interior?
None taken Cole. The Sparcos don't come in any colors that match the tan. The carpet and console are tan. The dash and door panels are black, so the car was really a two color interior to begin with.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
None taken Cole. The Sparcos don't come in any colors that match the tan. The carpet and console are tan. The dash and door panels are black, so the car was really a two color interior to begin with.
Got cha...makes sense to me. Nice work man. Should be way more comfortable when you are at the track.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id love to see them, but I refuse to click on anythign cadilalcforums related. That site ******* blows.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Id love to see them, but I refuse to click on anythign cadilalcforums related. That site ******* blows.
hahahahahaha

Quoted from CadillacForum...hope you dont mine Mike.
Here are a few hi lights of the Sparco Chronos seat mod for the V1. DISCLAIMER. Let me start off by saying that this mod will disable or remove some of the car's airbags. Some of the original safety features of the car will be changed. This modification is not recommended by me for operating a vehicle on the street. Do so at your own risk. This project is about 80% finished. I have yet to install the 4 point roll bar which will be the anchor point for the harness tail straps. More on that later. The fasten seat belt indicator will not message the DIC with the connectors unplugged. The air bag light is still on until I figure a way to by pass. I started with the following:
2 Sparco Chronos Road seatd (medium)
2 Sparco universal mount kits
2 Sparco universal slider kits
2 Schroth Profi II ASM FE 4 point harnesses.

The seat cushion and the seat back removed made it easier to get the seats in and out. Once it's out I located the fuse panel in front of the rear seat on the passenger side. I looked under the lid at the diagram and removed the air bag fuse. I relocated to a spare position. There is a plastic tool in the box you can use.

I then removed the torx bolts from the two locations in the rear of the seat. This will become my lap belt anchor points so I saved the bolts.

I then unplugged the grey and yellow connector under the front of the seat.

Removing the seat was easy. I tilted the seat forward by pushing the top of the seat back up and forward. I then pulled the seat backwards out of the two hooked slots in the front of the seat. The seat is heavy about 83 lbs.

The rest of the install was a bit of trial and error. Pictured below is the way the frame sits on the floor. The left side of the pic is the front of the seat frame. Notice the hooked slots I was speaking about. Notice the black plastic heat vent for the rear heat in the following pic. In my install the front rail sat exactly at the seam where the carpet is sectioned. I'm 5'10" and that gives me plenty of fore and aft adjust. If you try to move the frame any closer to the firewall, you may have to trim the heat vent. Also you have to open the slit in the carpet to move the cable harness back a bit.

See next post.

----------

With the Sparco seat assembled to the frame I marked the position I liked then removed the seat from the frame, I pulled up the carpet to begin putting in 4 holes. This is where it gets a bit tricky. The floor is not flat. The front bolts needed to be blocked up with a machined spacer or washers. I used washers. Also I had to flatten a small spot or 2 in the floor with a hammer so the spacers sit flat. The rear holes drilled through 2 layers of sheet metal. I used the frame for a drill template as pictured below.

I should have anchored the lap belts next, but I figured that out later and had to pull the frames back out. Below is the shot of how the Schroth lap belt anchors. Using the original Torx seat mounting locations, I bent the inboard lap belt bracket to 90 degrees (it's OK they are made for that). I bent the outboard lap belt to about 15%. These brackets should always be metal to metal anchored. They hold you in the car not the seat. The old seat mounting locations are perfect.

I made sure when I bolted the frames to the floor I used reinforcement plates under the car. i made these from 3 X 2 stainless steel.

I have TEMPORARILY mounted the tail straps to the rear seat belt anchor mounts. I don't like the angle of the shoulder harness so I'm getting a roll bar.

I'll keep you updated when I get it all wrapped up

Mike
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool stuff. I've been waiting for someone to finally do this the right way and show us how it's done.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Why does the angle matter? It would seem that since the belt contacts the edge of seat where hole is, the pressure on the person in the seat would be the same.

Is there concern the seat would break under extreme pressure?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah look up proper seat belt mounting that is way too low. you could he seriously hurt in an accident from your seatbelts
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Hahhahahahaha!!!

This is awesome. The OP did a great job!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jweymar
Why does the angle matter? It would seem that since the belt contacts the edge of seat where hole is, the pressure on the person in the seat would be the same.

I asked myself that as well. Conventional wisdom says that in a roll -over the shoulder harness would compress your spine if they are mounted at to steep an angle. That being said I have seen dozens of setups like this on HPDE track days. I'm not suggesting that is safe. I'm just saying I've seen it in many cars without rollbars. If you could mount the tail straps higher ( like where the seat back mounting studs are...you can see them in one of the pics) you might be able to get an angle that is 25 degrees or less.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM

have searched all over on how to remove the seats (front) on my cts. can anyone help?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a plastic cover over the bolt heads in the rear of the seat. One on the inside is into the floor while the outside is horizontal if I recall correctly.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully I should have my Sparcos installed soon. As close to the floor as possible. No sliders, etc.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Once all of my major performance mods are done (read: engine and supercharger), I've got my eye on a set of Recaro Pole positions. The trick is going to be finding a great upholsterer--it has to be leather and Alcantara. D3 has a set that they sell, but they're charging $1600 a seat:

You guys might like this thread as a side study in installing seats.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314742
Old 04-14-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Hopefully I should have my Sparcos installed soon. As close to the floor as possible. No sliders, etc.
I picked up some new Evo II US seats a week or so ago. I started to piece together the install with the universal seat frame. I won't be using the sliders either. Man those things are low when the side mount brackets are fastened directly to the universal seat base. I can barely see over the dash and I'm 5'11". You either need to get a set of side mount brackets with lots of vertical height adjustment or use the entire universal seat frame setup which includes not only the square frame but also a height adjustable block up set of rails which bolt to it. You then need to fasten the side mount brackets to that block up rail. I should be wrapping it up in a week or so. You can see a picture of the Sparco universal seat base http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/491.html
Old 04-14-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by daniel72010
have searched all over on how to remove the seats (front) on my cts. can anyone help?
Probably the easiest thing to take out of the car except they weigh a ton. See the above posts.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still want your old seat setup when your done with them
Old 04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jweymar

I had a friend die from spine compression and other trauma from an accident he was in. A Nissan 240sx.

Had his belts mounted in a similar manner.

Looking good so far, can't wait to see a shot from the front to see how it all looks.

-meaty
Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you found a 3 pt setup then i would call you king

Quick Reply: Sparco seat install (PICS)