Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just installed my Monster stage 2 clutch & tick bleeder...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed my Monster stage 2 clutch & tick bleeder...

Finally got my Monster Stage 2 clutch in last night after much anticipation. I had a good buddy help me install it up at his shop & it went it easily without a hitch. Only issue we had was with the Tick remote Bleeder. The angle of the fitting coming out of the trans interfered, so we had to notch the bell housing a bit, but no biggie... I haven't been able to test it out yet of course, because I have about 490 more street miles until the break in is complete, but I could immediately tell that the clutch pedal release was MUCH better than my old LS7 clutch which released too close to the floor imo... Can't wait to REALLY test this thing out, but it's gonna be a while!!! Expect an update once it's broken in.

Here is the kit... I went with the Billet Steel flywheel...

Here are a few pics of the install...

This was how we had to notch the bell housing for the Tick bleeder...No biggie

Last edited by EPIK; 05-02-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice write up. I loved my Monster stage 2.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

So I have put about 30 street miles on it so far today & I must say the pedal effort is excellent. Feels similar to the LS7 clutch I was running prior, but I do notice that the release of the pedal feels too high IMO. I can switch gears by barely pushing the pedal in & I always thought a pedal was supposed to release about 1/2 way up in the full travel? Is there anyway of changing this?

Other than that, the clutch feels great thus far

Originally Posted by whisler151
Nice write up. I loved my Monster stage 2.
Thanks... How many miles did you have it before you sold the car?

Last edited by EPIK; 05-02-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You had the ls7 clutch previously?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Onefast V
You had the ls7 clutch previously?
Yup... I pulled it out yesterday thinking there was something wrong with it. The clutch ended up still being in good shape & now it will be up for sale... I just went back & corrected it in my original post, I keep forgetting I am posting this on a site where people know what an LS7 clutch is LOL... When I explain to non GM people what clutch I had, I have to say C6 Z06, because most people don't know what an LS7 is LOL
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

So you did you use the ls7 slave or ls6 + spacer?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

So you did you use the ls7 slave or ls6 + spacer?
I used the factory LS7 slave with my LS7 clutch & with my Monster clutch. But with the Monster, I used the factory LS7 slave they supplied with some sort of small shim where the throwout bearing goes.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

My LS7 clutch has a high pedal release. I'm no clutch 'guru', but I believe a hydraulic clutchs' release point is up to the tension of the fingers on the pressure plate. I know cable systems are adjustable via the cable, so that's my guess with a hydraulic setup.

Aside from motorcycles, this is my first hydraulic clutch haha.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I might suspect that those shims are making your release point high. You might have to take it out
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wcryan
I might suspect that those shims are making your release point high. You might have to take it out
It has one very thin shim that Monster said was necessary? its more like a thin washer on the part where the TOB rides on the slave I guess? It sucks if it needs to be removed, because of course I paid for the install...
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Hopefully your slave isn't too thick as the ls7 has a "built in" spacer. I believe the mosnter clutch is designed to be used with the stock ctsv slave. There is a chance your slave is riding on the pressure fingers and not allowing the clutchs to fully engage. Did you check the measurements (top of fully compressed slave with throwout bearing to transmission face that mounts to bellhousing. Then the bellhousing face to the pressure plate fingers. The second measurement should be greater by 1/16 to 1/8 in.) before you installed it?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Stock ctsv on left, ls7 on the right.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully your slave isn't too thick as the ls7 has a "built in" spacer. I believe the mosnter clutch is designed to be used with the stock ctsv slave. There is a chance your slave is riding on the pressure fingers and not allowing the clutchs to fully engage. Did you check the measurements (top of fully compressed slave with throwout bearing to transmission face that mounts to bellhousing. Then the bellhousing face to the pressure plate fingers. The second measurement should be greater by 1/16 to 1/8 in.) before you installed it?
No, I didn't measure it & wasn't aware that I needed too? I bought the entire kit from monster which included the GM slave that THEY modified with the small shim. From what I understand, it is a complete 100% bolt in kit that requires no modification on a V? Steve at Monster said it was IMPERITIVE that I use the slave in the Kit... I hope he was correct?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EPIK
No, I didn't measure it & wasn't aware that I needed too? I bought the entire kit from monster which included the GM slave that THEY modified with the small shim. From what I understand, it is a complete 100% bolt in kit that requires no modification on a V? Steve at Monster said it was IMPERITIVE that I use the slave in the Kit... I hope he was correct?
I have the stage 3, and yes they send the slave with it. I don't remember exactly which GM slave they use, but they mill a little bit off the back so it's the right length. It's a bolt it in kit, so use the parts they give you.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry, I was under the impression you were re using the slave from the LS7 kit but that doesn't appear to be the case. If you're using the one provided by monster then you're good to go.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the clutch is brand new, so I'm sure the engagement will improve over time.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
I have the stage 3, and yes they send the slave with it. I don't remember exactly which GM slave they use, but they mill a little bit off the back so it's the right length. It's a bolt it in kit, so use the parts they give you.
Yup, they send it with a factory C6 slave (in which they say is modified to work with a V) & that is what I used.

Sorry, I was under the impression you were re using the slave from the LS7 kit but that doesn't appear to be the case. If you're using the one provided by monster then you're good to go.
No prob, & thanks for the info too. I used the slave they sent.

Originally Posted by RADEoN
the clutch is brand new, so I'm sure the engagement will improve over time.
I hope so. The pedal feel is great, I just am not too happy with the point of engagement. It feels like I barely have to touch the clutch to switch gears.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

what suspension set are you running? let us know after the breakin miles.. i have read that these chatter when new but they break in great.. some hate um some love them.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
what suspension set are you running? let us know after the breakin miles.. i have read that these chatter when new but they break in great.. some hate um some love them.
Eibach springs with QA1's all around... Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. I wish it rode a little smoother, but the stance looks perfect IMO.

I have noticed a bit of chatter, not too bad, but I only have like 75 miles on it thus far. I will keep y'all posted!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks... How many miles did you have it before you sold the car?
20k i think.

Quick Reply: Just installed my Monster stage 2 clutch & tick bleeder...