Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

HID/LED suggestions needed so i can order everything at once...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID/LED suggestions needed so i can order everything at once...

Alright guys,
Finally about to make the order for all my lights and need suggestions and links as to where i can get what i need. I'm a NOOB when it comes to HID's so although i've seen a few thread with some basic info, I really need someone to basically hold my hand and point me in the right direction. Lol! I don't know what brand kits are worth buying or which ones to stay away from. I don't know anything about the wattages and which is better than the other or why?? If possible, i'd like a kit that will plug and play with the factory harness!!

I've had a headlight out since i bought the car and i'm pretty sure its a bad ballast. Put a new bulb in and it popped the fuse. Replaced the fuse and it popped again. The light didn't even flicker and i'm thinking a short in the wiring (my initial diagnosis) is highly unlikely since all other lighting and electrical is perfect and the light was working fine not too long ago.

Anyway, Im looking to do HID's in the headlights and fogs and I would like to do LED running lights as well. I want them bright and with a nice tint of blue but not too blue. I was thinking 6k's in the headlights and fogs and hyper white or one step more blue for the LED running lights. Ill prob just do silverstar bulbs in the high beams.

Can someone post links or specific info to point me in the right direction as to what i need to order to knock all of this out at once??

I plan to order the clear ebay fogs and clear markers when i order the HID's and may even order the LED taillights off ebay too although after spending what i'll already be spending on all of that stuff, as much as i'd like LED tails, im not so sure the $420 price tag is worth it for them. They look really nice but has anyone here tried them??

Appreciate the help in advance fellas!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not gonna read this till tomorrow. It's too late for a novel

night!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 AM
TECH Veteran

All good bud. I'm about to crash myself...

At least u have something to look forward to when u wake up... Lol
Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

Get the ebay clear fogs for the base cts, not the V. Its the exact same housing (just swap the outer frame) and save like $50.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm glad u brought that up. That's exactly what I assumed and planned to do since my factory brackets are perfectly fine
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

DDMTuning.com

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html
The LED stuff is under the 'exterior' section.

I got all 6k's and the 'white' 194 LED lights in the headlights match perfectly. I'm not sure if yours are different than mine, but the ballasts are part of the low beam bulb assembly. I tucked the hi beam ballasts inside the headlight assemblies so I wouldn't have to modify the assemblies or the 1/4-turn covers. The HID kits from DDM Tuning are cheaper than the Silverstars for the high beams.

Last edited by 07CTS-V; 05-05-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

I concur with ddm tuning. I would do 6k 35w for fogs. 55w would be overkill and its actually so bright it bleeds out a lot of color. I would also consider backup leds and leds for your rear license plate lights. The ctsv low beams are d1s bulbs you can buy from ddm also with the built in ballast. Remember to replace bulbs in pairs because they need the same run time to maintain color matching or they will look off.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The website says that the D1S bulbs are sold individually, but they come in pairs for about $50. I bought two thinking they were individual and now I have a spare set. Reverse lights are 3157's, if you want to be able to see with them, get the higher lumen ones. I got the ones with 9 or 12 bulbs and I can't see anything with them.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

For my reverse lights I used single 7 watt leds per side, needless to say they are bright as f.

Similar to these
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=78322939738

Last edited by Onefast V; 05-05-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

So the 6k's are a good choice right? Anyone running anything different??

I just want the lights to all be a hyper white/light bluish color and bright. I'd be ok with them being a little more blue than the factory HID color but i think it looks stupid when they are too dark blue.

I suppose i'll do HID's for my highs too if the it is that inexpensive. Might as well do em all. I would also like to do the license plate lights and reverse lights. I want to knock all of the lighting out at once.

Ok... Im confused though... Is there not a separate ballast for the headlights?? I know the D1S bulbs have that baby ballast on the bottom of them but there has to be more to it than that.

And if i go 35watt for the fogs, should i also go 35watt in the headlights for both low and high beam kits?

Are the kits from DDMTuning.com plug and play with our factory harnesses?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Onefast V
For my reverse lights I used single 7 watt leds per side, needless to say they are bright as f.

Similar to these
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=37178620583
I want em bright. I haven't decided 100% on smoking the lights or not yet but if i do, i need the brighter bulbs.

I know i've heard good feedback here on the clear ebay fogs and markers but anyone use those ebay LED taillights from race innovations? They are a little over $400 bucks. Pretty pricey but if they look nice like the new V tails and they are a lot brighter than our factory tails, might be worth it.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

8k will be very white with more blue while 6k would be a pure white. I run 8k on my fogs and like them but that's personal choice. There are no seperate ballast for the d1s its plug n play
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

So the only ballast on the D1S is the tiny box on the back of the bulb itself??

And judging off ur description, I'm thinking it might be 8k's I want top and bottom then.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Launching!

HID bulbs are not meant to be turned on and off frequently for short durations, and using them in a high beam application will wear them out much faster than normal. If you have HID low beams and HID fogs you'll never use the high beams again, I promise. Just replace your high beams with a nice set of silverstars or a halogen with a slight blueish tint. I put Luminics Pure Blue bulbs in mine. The only time they get lit up is when I push the unlock button on my key fob though..

You're on the right track at 6000K though. That color temp matches very closely with all of the "white, cool white, and hyper white" LED's

55 watt for headlight, and 35 watt for fog light. or 55 watt for both if you want to go *****-out bright.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno, how about reading the LAST ******* THREAD you started on this subject? MAYBE?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onefast V
8k will be very white with more blue while 6k would be a pure white. I run 8k on my fogs and like them but that's personal choice. There are no seperate ballast for the d1s its plug n play
Pay attention to the cable that you plug into the back of the bulb. The other end of the cable is a ballast.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Appreciate the info Edmond! I had heard turning them on and off is bad for them so I'll stick to halogens in the highs.

Laygo... Alright **** breath... Lol I searched and came across a few HID threads along with yours but specific info about wattages and **** wasn't included so I posted this one since I'm actually about to order and wanted to make sure I ordered exactly what I need. Wanted to get it right the first time.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok... I'm sure I would have figured that out when I pulled the bumper off. Just haven't done it yet. I was just confused because the little box on the bulb itself kept being referred to as the ballast.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Launching!

The little box on the back of the D1S bulb is the ignitor. On most newer D2S bulb, the ignitor is built in the ballast socket, the parts that connects to the bulb.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

You won't find a plug and play kit, per say... You'll have to hook the D1S bulb to a ballast, then the ballast to a power and ground. I ordered the DDM tuning kit and it's as plug and play as you're gonna get unless you stick with your OEM ballast. As far as LED's, I'm not sure because I haven't ordered them yet.

Either way, it's only two wires that you have to hook up. Get a volt meter or a power tester and find out which one is power, then hook the other wire to a ground or tap it in to an existing ground that runs to the headlight via harness.

Quick Reply: HID/LED suggestions needed so i can order everything at once...