Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Front Diff bolt wont line up with cs dif block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xbladr
4door you must be the man lol I seriously dont understand how it was so easy for some of you it does not seem to matter how I do it the hold will not line up exactly and I have no way to get a hammer or anything else up there to knock this bolt in. The bolt is literally an inch and a half longer than it needs to be. Next I am going to use some lithium grease in the hole and on the bolt see if I can slip it in there it seriously should not be this hard. I have tried putting the jack straight in the middle a little to the left to the right front back nothing seems to work the whole is off by less than a couple centimiters. The left edge of the bushing just sticks out into the hole slightly.
definately not... had a good friend helping... i couldnt do it alone to be honest i had to shove the **** out of it to make it. again i stand by not all those blocks will be exactly the same... mine may have been a hair smaller not sure. but it took both of us to do it. is the block in correctly? it seems like a dumb question but either way... i we tried the jack too and it wasnt as helpful as me pushing up on it. jack made it too akward to hit it with a hammer. but once its its in... there is no movement in the diff... still waiting on Veee8 to send me a shifter... getting very impatient
Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Launching!

yea im thinking im gonna put a smaller bolt in the back hole to try and line it up so I can slide the bolt in the front. The block is in there seriously snug im giving it another go tomorrow hopefully and will keep you guys posted.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4doortypels
definately not... had a good friend helping... i couldnt do it alone to be honest i had to shove the **** out of it to make it. again i stand by not all those blocks will be exactly the same... mine may have been a hair smaller not sure. but it took both of us to do it. is the block in correctly? it seems like a dumb question but either way... i we tried the jack too and it wasnt as helpful as me pushing up on it. jack made it too akward to hit it with a hammer. but once its its in... there is no movement in the diff... still waiting on Veee8 to send me a shifter... getting very impatient
Hahaha good luck. If the USPS is involved you're probably fucked.

You should buy a modified stock shifter from 07cts-v, or get ab&m if you can find one.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yea im thinking im gonna put a smaller bolt in the back hole to try and line it up so I can slide the bolt in the front. The block is in there seriously snug im giving it another go tomorrow hopefully and will keep you guys posted.
Again, I don't know if this helps, but you need to support the differential in the center with the jack, then tighten down the rear bolts. That'll help you with alignment--more than you realize, because when you apply the beforementioned ridiculous amount of pressure with the jack (nearly lifting the back end of the car off the ground in the process), the front bushing will align with the hole almost perfectly.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I just did this last weekend by myself (it is a one man job after all) and can't understand what the problem is. Scale of 1-10 this is a 2. I will say that if you can't figure the diff block out don't install it. It's a waste of money anyway. Once you install the CS bushing (which is a quality piece and a great product) how can the diff move anyway? It can't and won't. The bushing is so dense it's almost solid and the diff block won't add anything IMO. If you are still having problems getting the bolt in withiout the block in place, have the car towed to a shop (any shop) and let someone else finish it for you.
And stick to oil changes.

--------

I am assuming you have the block installed in the right place. It goes in the hole directly above the bushing. This is a no-brainer but in this case you never know.
One more thing for those who have not done this yet, i was in a rush and could not wait for the install tool (upcoming cadillac challenge event) and had no problem at all installing the bushing without the tool. Left it in the freezer for a few days and it slipped in the hole with just a few light taps with a dead blow. Very easy.

Last edited by furbe; 05-28-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Launching!

This was not a lack of skill or experience issue it was a lack of it just not lining up as it should. It is in and I agree it should be a quick 2 hour max one man job to get it in and sitting properly after speaking with Maxx on the phone he has yet to encounter an issue such as mine after we talked about it I tried some different stuff and got it in. I do not need to go into detail as to my frustration with the situation but Maxx and everyone on here was very helpful.

Thanks guys
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 AM
TECH Regular

This was not a lack of skill or experience issue it was a lack of it just not lining up as it should. It is in and I agree it should be a quick 2 hour max one man job to get it in and sitting properly after speaking with Maxx on the phone he has yet to encounter an issue such as mine after we talked about it I tried some different stuff and got it in. I do not need to go into detail as to my frustration with the situation but Maxx and everyone on here was very helpful.

Thanks guys
could use a screw driver to help align the bolt... as far as one man two man jobs, and the hours it takes, who cares if as long as you are successful and it does everything you want it to... if it takes longer it takes longer. once you get it in you ill be very satisfied...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4doortypels
could use a screw driver to help align the bolt... as far as one man two man jobs, and the hours it takes, who cares if as long as you are successful and it does everything you want it to... if it takes longer it takes longer. once you get it in you ill be very satisfied...
I think he already said he got it lol. Glad you got everything back together, man!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys yea I got it in have yet to drive it as I am waiting on my rear wheel spacers to come in
Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Again, I don't know if this helps, but you need to support the differential in the center with the jack, then tighten down the rear bolts. That'll help you with alignment--more than you realize, because when you apply the beforementioned ridiculous amount of pressure with the jack (nearly lifting the back end of the car off the ground in the process), the front bushing will align with the hole almost perfectly.
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I did exactly this and I was able to get the bolt in.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM
JDB
Launching!

I shaved mine down a little. Works great. I put the bushing in first, and clearly the block is doing the work since it was much better with the block.

Quick Reply: Front Diff bolt wont line up with cs dif block?