Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Temperature after Maggie install

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM

I would also recommend Water Wetter (or something similar)...the stuff actually works even with lower temp systems like the HEX.
Absolutely agree. Here's a comparison between Redline Water Wetter (which I use, since it's easy to find) and AMSOIL Dominator.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rdcb.aspx
Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cruising coolant temp on the way home from the shop was 197 and when stopped it was 206-209 and my oil temp was 215-220. I didnt get a chance to check the IAT.

DMM where in maryland do you live? hint hint. lol...I'll check into water wetter or Amsoil boost.

Thanks for the help guys I apperciate it.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When in country, I am in Howard County between Laurel and Columbia..near I-95 and 216.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMM
When in country, I am in Howard County between Laurel and Columbia..near I-95 and 216.
o ok I'm about 15-20 mins from the area. Odenton here my backyard is crapital raceway.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

im from Laurel(right off of 198) and now live in Olney and work in Rockville. SO many locals. LOL

Can I has your maggie please?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
im from Laurel(right off of 198) and now live in Olney and work in Rockville. SO many locals. LOL

Can I has your maggie please?
Let me think about it .........

Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

I was looking over the engine yesterday and I noticed the 2 nipples under the TB that are attached to the TB which are part of the coolant system do not have hoses running from them. But according to the Magnacharger install (#147 and #150) it says attach hose. Am I missing something wouldn't that help cool the intake?

Last edited by JayBirdWs6; 06-27-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
I was looking over the engine yesterday and I noticed the 2 nipples under the TB that are attached to the TB which are part of the coolant system do not have hoses running from them. But according to the Magnacharger install (#147 and #150) it says attach hose. Am I missing something wouldn't that help cool the intake?
No you do not need to run the coolant through there, those nipples are simply a pass though to keep the coolant line from getting tangled in the belt. They serve no cooling purpose. The coolant running through there is approx 200 degrees when the motor is warmed up so its actually detrimental to run coolant through the TB. You can remove those nipples from the TB. As further proof on the matter look at any aftermarket TB you can get FAST or NW none of them have the coolant pass through.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

GM used to believe there was a far off chance that a dry throttle blade had the potential to stick since it had the possibility of being a different temperature than the throttle body housing (that was heated by the engine compartment) with constant air passing over it.

This was an unconfirmed fear and GM did away with the TB coolant hoses around 2005. They only serve to heat the incoming air that passes through the TB.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 AM

And its also a VERY common modification to do by removing those hoses as it hurts HP because of the added temps.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 AM

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...ypass-mod.html

There is an idea
Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
How ironic...I was born in Olney (Norbeck Rd), and grew up in Laurel. I now own a house in Sykesville (rented) and stay in Laurel when I am here. Your right....lots of locals.

I have seen a few V's when I cut through Rockville on my way home...always silver though. Have seen two or three of them in Sykesville as well.

I ran into a guy in Fulton (Howard County) and he ended up with the silver 09 that was sent to Germany for all of the speed/track testing. Seems Miller Brother's Cadillac was the only dealer in the country that had an early V that was not already spoken for...so GM bought it back and shipped it to Deutschland for testing...then sent it back to Miller Bros when finished, where the guy I met purchased it since he was looking at a year long wait for a new one.

Again, lots of locals...but none of them seem to be on here.

Sorry for getting off topic OP.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMM
How ironic...I was born in Olney (Norbeck Rd), and grew up in Laurel. I now own a house in Sykesville (rented) and stay in Laurel when I am here. Your right....lots of locals.

I have seen a few V's when I cut through Rockville on my way home...always silver though. Have seen two or three of them in Sykesville as well.

I ran into a guy in Fulton (Howard County) and he ended up with the silver 09 that was sent to Germany for all of the speed/track testing. Seems Miller Brother's Cadillac was the only dealer in the country that had an early V that was not already spoken for...so GM bought it back and shipped it to Deutschland for testing...then sent it back to Miller Bros when finished, where the guy I met purchased it since he was looking at a year long wait for a new one.

Again, lots of locals...but none of them seem to be on here.

Sorry for getting off topic OP.
no problem

So would a 92mm TB work on a maggie? I was going to do an LS2 TB but found out they are 4 bolts.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem

So would a 92mm TB work on a maggie? I was going to do an LS2 TB but found out they are 4 bolts.
you need to change the maggie snout for anything different than the 78mm
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

no problem

A 90 mm TB will work...but...you have to get an LS2 TB, adapter harness, get the LS2 snout adapter for the Maggie (usually built to order, may take a while), modify the PCV hose routing, and modify the evap vapor solenoid hoses. Then you have to get a tune to change the scaler for the TB. You are looking at nearly $500 for the conversion.

The worst part is, while you would think the 90mm would gain power, it absolutely does not. I believe that most have seen 3-5 hp increase...which is most likely attributed to the tune, not the TB.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
you need to change the maggie snout for anything different than the 78mm
Any clue where to get the snout and how much? Another 500 roughly? Maybe I'll hold off on this mod for alittle bit.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Nice. mine is garaged at work and home. And I drive georgia and norbeck EVERY day.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM
A 90 mm TB will work...but...you have to get an LS2 TB, adapter harness, get the LS2 snout adapter for the Maggie (usually built to order, may take a while), modify the PCV hose routing, and modify the evap vapor solenoid hoses. Then you have to get a tune to change the scaler for the TB. You are looking at nearly $500 for the conversion.

The worst part is, while you would think the 90mm would gain power, it absolutely does not. I believe that most have seen 3-5 hp increase...which is most likely attributed to the tune, not the TB.
The LS2 TB is expensive because it's hard to find, IMO. Recommend having your existing TB professionally rebuilt, ported, and polished if you want to mess with it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...s-awesome.html

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-27-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the coolant running through the TB is for emissions... Heating up the incoming air
Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
I believe the coolant running through the TB is for emissions... Heating up the incoming air
you are correct..

Quick Reply: Temperature after Maggie install