Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

for those who have wrapped your headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012 | 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Default for those who have wrapped your headers?

After a search, I have determined that lava wrap is the best. Now I'm curious as to how much you used and how much I will need to wrap my OBX 1 7/8".

Stoked to finally put these on the car, along with UMI motor mounts.
Old 06-30-2012 | 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

I used two 50 foot rolls of two-inch wide DEI wrap. Link:

Amazon Amazon

You'll also need to apply at least two cans of high-temperature silicon spray to the wrap after it dries. Link:

Amazon Amazon

Edit: just realized that Amazon is having a great sale on DEI titanium wrap, which doesn't need silicon spray. Check it out, and don't forget to get lots and lots of stainless steel ties (especially the long ones).

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-30-2012 | 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure that when you start it up, you are outside with the hood up.

They will smoke like a brush fire at first.
Old 06-30-2012 | 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I used two 50 foot rolls of two-inch wide DEI wrap. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010108-Bla...=DEI+2%22+wrap

You'll also need to apply at least two cans of high-temperature silicon spray to the wrap after it dries. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/010301-Black-H...=pd_sim_auto_6

Edit: just realized that Amazon is having a great sale on DEI titanium wrap, which doesn't need silicon spray. Check it out, and don't forget to get lots and lots of stainless steel ties (especially the long ones).

http://www.amazon.com/010127-Titaniu...=pd_sim_auto_3
None of those are the lava wrap that I was asking about? But 2 2" 50' rolls is helpful thank you.

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Make sure that when you start it up, you are outside with the hood up.

Oh I know this all too well. when I had my C5 with an sts twin turbo kit I wrapped the entire exhuast to try and help reduce the turbo lag (Minimal at best) I thought I caught the car on fire the first ime I was driving around boosting it. It was wow bad.
They will smoke like a brush fire at first.
Old 06-30-2012 | 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Good luck with the UMI mounts and obx 1-7/8's. Plan to dent the header tube or shave the steering shaft because the header will sit in constant contact with the steering shaft once installed. Those mounts are just slightly shorter than stock and the headers are big so there is little clearance there with both...

And mine aren't wrapped so I even have a little added clearance that u don't. I had to slightly dent the header tube just a tad and I ground the steering shaft down and repainted it to get it to clear.
Old 06-30-2012 | 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Good luck with the UMI mounts and obx 1-7/8's. Plan to dent the header tube or shave the steering shaft because the header will sit in constant contact with the steering shaft once installed. Those mounts are just slightly shorter than stock and the headers are big so there is little clearance there with both...

And mine aren't wrapped so I even have a little added clearance that u don't. I had to slightly dent the header tube just a tad and I ground the steering shaft down and repainted it to get it to clear.
mine actually don't touch.
Old 07-01-2012 | 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Have any of you seen a difference from doing this?
Old 07-01-2012 | 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't know how that's possible. We have the same mounts and headers...
Old 07-01-2012 | 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Two rolls of 50 foot. DEI
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Rolls-2-X-...03f5da&vxp=mtr

Pretty straight forward install.. just try not to fray the ends while you're wrapping. You'll have a couple feet left over. Wear long sleeves and gloves while you're wrapping. This stuff sticks to you just as badly as fiberglass.
Old 07-03-2012 | 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Two rolls of 50 DEI here. I didn't need any spray or anything, just keep it super tight and take your time. It's itchy, but it's worth it. Some people wet it down, but I never did and I've had zero problem with mine.

I used the stainless ties on the small tubes, but a big *** hose clamp on the collector. Nobody can see it, and it works well.

Also (like Heavy said) it'll smoke for a little bit. Don't get freaked out.
Old 07-03-2012 | 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I used hose clamps on all the primaries and the collector. They seem much more secure than the zip ties provided. The instructions for lava wrap specifically say wetting is not needed.
Old 07-03-2012 | 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-exhaust.html

wrapp them or coat them IMO.. +1 on the hose clamps
Old 07-03-2012 | 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Got me tempted to pull mine off and wrap them but I haven't had any issues with them as of yet and they look so pretty under the hood...
Old 07-03-2012 | 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

documentation, wrap it up haha

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-you-may.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ecautions.html
Old 07-03-2012 | 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Got me tempted to pull mine off and wrap them but I haven't had any issues with them as of yet and they look so pretty under the hood...
Lava wrap actually looks pretty good. It's got a carbon fiberish look to it.
Old 07-03-2012 | 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

How much does that stuff cost? Is there really an extreme benefit to wrapping as opposed to just leaving them bare?

And how the hell did that happen to that header? Wrapped or not, I think that was unavoidable. Lol
Old 07-03-2012 | 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you go to wrap, keep the wrap in a bucket of water as you wind it up to keep it wet. This will not only help get a tight wrap, but more importantly will keep the damn fiberglass from floating all over your body. Also make sure to wear some latex or mechanics gloves, you'll thank me!

I've always used DEI wrap never tried the lava wrap. You can find it on e-bay for way cheaper than you would buy in the autoparts store. Also like others said, if you spray it with silicone be prepared for a lot of smoke during your first start up! Also you can buy the steel zip ties at Home Depot or Lowes for way cheaper than an autoparts store, $5 for a pack of 10. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

I did 2 50 ft 2" rolls and used hose clamps at the collectors.
Old 07-03-2012 | 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

How much does that stuff cost? Is there really an extreme benefit to wrapping as opposed to just leaving them bare?

And how the hell did that happen to that header? Wrapped or not, I think that was unavoidable. Lol
The link I posted yesterday has the amount needed shipped together for $90. While the alternator wire that burned through the primary was avoidable, the wrap is that much more insurance. I also heat shielded the starter and its wires, and tied back others. I even went as far as putting heat socks on my spark plug wires for another $30. Burnt wires are my last concern now.
Old 07-03-2012 | 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I had wire socks on my old car. I plan to get some for this one if i do wrap the headers. Pretty sure all the wires under the car are tied back out of the way. Ill have to check the alternator and starter wires. I have some of that heat shield loom i can put on them for added insurance.

Quick Reply: for those who have wrapped your headers?