Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Maggie or Whipple... What to do?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost in the same boat as the op with my Whipple. I haven't even got to enjoy it yet, but am still dumping money into it in preperation. Heads on the way, Meth installed. Next step is 8.8 rear end, then forged bottom end. When the bottom end is done I,ll do a cam and throw more boost at it. You are certainly ahead of me with it now.
I keep breaking other things without the Whipple not even installed.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whip it....whip it good.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Launching!

I got dibs on the maggie!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got it... Sell whipple, Sell maggie, Sell car.. Buy V2. This isnt the generation for modding to achieve big power.

V2= Better suspension, Better brakes, more potential, more reliable, better interior... I mean you can't really make an argument against it. It will be a turn key car that is as fast as a maggie and can get as fast as the whipple would with basic motor head mods (pulleys, exhaust, cam, etc.)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ws-anyone.html

Do it and never look back.

I sold the Maggie I got from you because I realized that even to handle 500whp that you could get from a Maggie and can, it would be a $10-15k adventure before I could drive it without the fear of spreading metal parts down the road. As soon as I get settled in the new casa its out wih the old and end with the new, most likely in a wagon form.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

I can make an argument against it, my 1st gen is paid off.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

And in the next few years you will more than likely be paying for some sort of relatively expensive repair. Car payments are always around the corner when you Dont have one. For the op, he could sell all he has now and have a low enough car payment that he could afford another small payment on a water activity vehicle. Best of both worlds in what he wants while really not coming out of pocket a substantial amount. Obviously all of this is dependent on ones financial situation.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id just forge the bottom.. i just built mine and the bottom is good for 1000hp.. i built it myself so i saved there but it was under 3k for the full build. that included the eagle rods and arp2000,diamond pistons and rings,clevite P bearings thru out, machining, polished crank and balanced ,decked heads, ls9 cam and springs,all the gaskets throughout..

it can be done on the cheap if u bargain hunt and can do the work yourself..biggest bitch of the whole job is filing all the damned rings
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then once you get some engine builds under your belt you can do for others and make some side $$
Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Sure sounds better than being another 25k + in debt like the dr. Ordered.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Then once you get some engine builds under your belt you can do for others and make some side $$
thats what i do, these ls motors are pretty strait forward..not much to em at all.. just gotta make sure all ur torqing is done right and double check ur work.

im a streetbike mechanic and have built 100's of those motors..those things are like jigsaw puzzles compared to an LS
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tommycompton

i mean all the hard work is done with the whipple.. why waste it.?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exaaaaaactly
Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

First of all, before I go in to this long drawn out post, let me say that I don’t feel one person is right in their thought’s over another as it’s really all in what you want. I understand the desire to represent your vehicle platform and it’s potential, etc. etc. I came here from the B5 S4 community (after a little break on 2 wheels) and I watched people dump 30,40,50 and in some cases close to $100k in to the platform in efforts to achieve big power and be “different”. In the end, they were left with a car that put down 200 more AWHP and went .4 seconds faster in the ¼ IF it held together (which they rarely did). I think what the OP is trying to say is that increasing a car’s HP more than double of what it was intended for becomes a head case in almost every car. It’s not just the motor, its EVERY aspect of the vehicle. Suspension, Brakes, Transmission, Axles, Rear end, every fluid Pump and line, Cooling, EVERYTHING. You are requesting double the work load of every part that has to do with making the wheels go round.

Here’s a little math for the conversation though; All prices are with installation and are (what I feel) a fair and good price.

Gen 1 CTSV -$18k
Maggie Kit, cam, tune,etc.- $6500
Coilover suspension - $2500
Brake upgrade (rotors, pads, lines)- $700
Upgraded clutch kit- $900 (IF the transmission will even hold)
9 inch rear - $8000
Full exhaust - $1500

You are at just under $40,000. If you want to go Whipple you’re easily adding another $15,000. You will need all custom work done and im willing to bet that if you really want to drive the car you will need to beef the trans up a little as well. Here’s the end results-

-Highly modified headache vs Stock V2 that still has a warranty.
-Peak performance Vs Stock with LOTS of reliable room to grow.
-Maggied V1 vs. Stock V2 = Drivers race
-Whipple or Procharged V1 vs. Modified V2 = probably going to be the V2
I think in all the above cases.. You risk needing a trailer to get the V1 home while the V2 will be driven home.

All of this and the V2 still has better fit and finish on the interior and is also proven that it can get into the mid 10’s with moderate modification. Saving the best for last… Not only does the V2 still have better fit and finish and room to grow but that $40,000-$55,000 V1 is only worth about $27k IF you can find the right buyer and the V2 is still as $40,000 and an easy sale.

If you have a wife or something similar... Than it's THAT much easier to go V2.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by psychobillycaddy
I feel ya man. Mine is not half as hard as yours is and Ive considered the same thing many times. Every time you turn around its time to put it back on jack stands and cut another check ...
You are 100% right... that's exactly how it's starting to feel!

Originally Posted by RADEoN
it's our ******* hobby dude, it's expensive and it sucks ***, but it's worth it in the end.
That's almost sig worthy...

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
Whipple...

You're already this pretty deep, may as well finish the job (that's what she said).
That's what I keep telling myself... but it sometimes it's on jackstands more than on the road! That is exactly why I started the post.

Originally Posted by psychobillycaddy
yah I know. Ive spent so much, Ill never sell this car...
Yea, my wife swears that I will be buried in that car as much $ is in it.

Don't make me punch you in the junk.
Shut up and get yours running! I need someone else to feel my pain!

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Can't sell the whipple now.... you've already cut the radiator cover!
Good point... hmmm....

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
id just forge the bottom.. i just built mine and the bottom is good for 1000hp.. i built it myself so i saved there but it was under 3k for the full build.
Man I wish you were closer to Tx!

Originally Posted by dr.duct_mossburg
First of all, before I go in to this long drawn out post, let me say that I don’t feel one person is right in their thought’s over another as it’s really all in what you want. I understand the desire to represent your vehicle platform and it’s potential, etc. etc. I came here from the B5 S4 community (after a little break on 2 wheels) and I watched people dump 30,40,50 and in some cases close to $100k in to the platform in efforts to achieve big power and be “different”. In the end, they were left with a car that put down 200 more AWHP and went .4 seconds faster in the ¼ IF it held together (which they rarely did). I think what the OP is trying to say is that increasing a car’s HP more than double of what it was intended for becomes a head case in almost every car. It’s not just the motor, its EVERY aspect of the vehicle. Suspension, Brakes, Transmission, Axles, Rear end, every fluid Pump and line, Cooling, EVERYTHING. You are requesting double the work load of every part that has to do with making the wheels go round.

Here’s a little math for the conversation though; All prices are with installation and are (what I feel) a fair and good price.

Gen 1 CTSV -$18k
Maggie Kit, cam, tune,etc.- $6500
Coilover suspension - $2500
Brake upgrade (rotors, pads, lines)- $700
Upgraded clutch kit- $900 (IF the transmission will even hold)
9 inch rear - $8000
Full exhaust - $1500

You are at just under $40,000. If you want to go Whipple you’re easily adding another $15,000. You will need all custom work done and im willing to bet that if you really want to drive the car you will need to beef the trans up a little as well. Here’s the end results-

-Highly modified headache vs Stock V2 that still has a warranty.
-Peak performance Vs Stock with LOTS of reliable room to grow.
-Maggied V1 vs. Stock V2 = Drivers race
-Whipple or Procharged V1 vs. Modified V2 = probably going to be the V2
I think in all the above cases.. You risk needing a trailer to get the V1 home while the V2 will be driven home.

All of this and the V2 still has better fit and finish on the interior and is also proven that it can get into the mid 10’s with moderate modification. Saving the best for last… Not only does the V2 still have better fit and finish and room to grow but that $40,000-$55,000 V1 is only worth about $27k IF you can find the right buyer and the V2 is still as $40,000 and an easy sale.

If you have a wife or something similar... Than it's THAT much easier to go V2.
Whoa, before anybody freaks out on the good Dr... this thread was to help ME, and I appreciate the feedback! Pros/Cons... I'm open to both, understanding that some things are matters of opinion or point of view. I've got to read these posts and think about how I feel about the info presented.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

I hear what the good dr. Is saying, maybe I'm busting ***** a bit. Personally I'm into this car good and bad too deep to contemplate a gen 2, unless I total it and insurance pays for my down payment. I'm still not sold on the V2 yet and still enjoy my V1. figures don't compute for myself as I do the work myself. It's not like I just bought the car, I have 3 years into it and probably as many mods as the cars value, so just selling it and getting the next gen is a mute point for me. I'd still at this point rather have a modded first gen than a stock second gen. I guess it gets tiring hearing people use the same padded answer "just go buy a v2". For me I like having no payments and I can save for my mods bit by bit.
1bad I do feel some of your pain, and have also thought of going an easier route with say a Maggie, but then keep telling myself that I've come this far.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear what the good dr. Is saying, maybe I'm busting ***** a bit. Personally I'm into this car good and bad too deep to contemplate a gen 2, unless I total it and insurance pays for my down payment. I'm still not sold on the V2 yet and still enjoy my V1. figures don't compute for myself as I do the work myself. It's not like I just bought the car, I have 3 years into it and probably as many mods as the cars value, so just selling it and getting the next gen is a mute point for me. I'd still at this point rather have a modded first gen than a stock second gen. I guess it gets tiring hearing people use the same padded answer "just go buy a v2". For me I like having no payments and I can save for my mods bit by bit.
1bad I do feel some of your pain, and have also thought of going an easier route with say a Maggie, but then keep telling myself that I've come this far.

There, now go throw that canary on a motor and let's see if she can sing! (haha, sorry, I just couldn't resist!).
Old 07-18-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Waiting on heads from AFR
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Well, 1BADCTS is stuck with his Whipple. Just bought his Maggie.

Quick Reply: Maggie or Whipple... What to do?!?