Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Maggie or Whipple... What to do?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soulja
Well, 1BADCTS is stuck with his Whipple. Just bought his Maggie.
i am sure you are both chucked to bits over this.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well 1badcts if you really want to do the motor, I'll build it for ya. Say 500 for the bottom end or 650 for a complete long block ready to bolt in. I can have all the machining done minus head work for around 600. You would have to buy the rods and pistons.. I'll have the bearings spec'd once the crank is looked at and polished.. They would be part of the machine shops bill. You would need a gm performance gasket set and decide what u wanna do with the heads and compression ratio and all that. It would prolly be cheaper to find someone locally since you'd have to pay to ship the block and crank but if I can help let me know.

You can also get a forged iron block ready for heads from a few places for like 3500. I can get u links of you'd like for them. I'd love to see a v1 with a whipple that makes good power so of I can help I will
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you are right that shipping would probably ruin the advantage, but maybe you would be willing to help spec parts, and help me know what to make sure gets done? I scored a complete 2005 'V dropout with the full accessory set, heads... Everything.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on what u wanna do with it really.. With the whipple I'd drop compression down to 9/1. Get ur heads ported or sell em get aftermarket if u really wanna make power. Either way the stock heads won't become a restriction till ur up there.. Honestly I'd just get h beams 6.125 with arp2000 bolts.. And any forged piston in a 3.905 bore. Use the stock crank and have everything balanced. New bearings of course (which I have the machine shop spec out once it's polished and that's pretty much it for the bottom end.. U can re use ur stock lifters with some hardened pushrods 7.4 and just do valve train stuff depending on ur cam. Other than that it's just gaskets. I stay away from aftermarket gaskets but to which it's own.

It's really not that bad as long as u find a place that doesn't try to bend u over on the labor. That's where it adds up. Biggest two things u gotta worry about with these motors is ring gap and torq on all the bolts... ( rods, mains etc) like I said any questions just contact me man.. I'll help u out as best I can.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt go to 9:1, id stay 9.5:1 for 93 octane or go 10.5:1 with E85.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a big blower for a 5.7. Once u start with big boost you'll have to back the timing off with a higher compression.. 9/1 should be good for when the boost is jacked up. But yes u will make more power on lower boost with the higher compression. All depends on how much psi he wants to go
Old 07-19-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
That's a big blower for a 5.7. Once u start with big boost you'll have to back the timing off with a higher compression.. 9/1 should be good for when the boost is jacked up. But yes u will make more power on lower boost with the higher compression. All depends on how much psi he wants to go
Exactly, hes gotta find out what the efficieny range the blower is and what is the best rpm to spin it that wont turn it into a heat pump.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Stay 346 or move to a 383? It's a 5k mile per year car, with typically ~3 roadcourse events. I'm not into drag racing.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt stroke it with FI. id forge it and boost the **** out of her. that blower can easily make 15lbs with the over driven balancer and a couple steps down in drive pulleys.

thats why i say forge it at 9/1 with a big blower cam. boost her to 15lbs and youll be up there. youll have to play with pulley combos on the dyno to see what she'll like.

Quick Reply: Maggie or Whipple... What to do?!?