Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My Dyno Numbers & Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
i had a janzer performance ported ls2 tb..lasted about a month before it **** the bed. before that was a stocker..both went bad. the problem i see with ported TB's is they for the most part are used tb's. no one offers new tb's that have been ported.

when i bought my new one i could feel the difference just pushing on the butterfly valve with my finger. my bad ones had hardly ant resistance..the new one took force to open it..i have not had a problem since and it will stay as it is.my car is finally problem free
Janzer Performance throttle bodies have a miserable track record. When I was looking for a shop to do mine, I found a whole bunch of horror stories regarding them. This is just one more to add to the pile.

The place that I went to rebuilds the entire throttle body, including the motor, before porting, polishing, and powder coating.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally i think the risk outways the rewards as far as TB porting. For the money and risk involved you MIGHT see 5-7rwhp on a heads/cam setup and no one in the world could feel that difference.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Personally i think the risk outways the rewards as far as TB porting. For the money and risk involved you MIGHT see 5-7rwhp on a heads/cam setup and no one in the world could feel that difference.
Agreed after this experience! Not worth it, the main goal for me of running the ported ls6 was just to get slightly more than 78mm. These ls6 throttle body's are incredibly restrictive, it's almost as if they stopped machining them half way through the process.

I just ordered an LS2 throttle body, harness adapter and adapter plate for my ls6 intake tonight. That will get me by until I scrounge up a little more cash for a fast 90 or 102, 90 mm will be plenty for my needs!

If this doesn't fix the issue I'll try a new gas pedal, wish I had a tech II scanner to test this stuff!!

Last edited by etcts-v; 08-01-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrane
I had a ported TB and intake on my old setup and was throwing reduced power. I believe I had the same code as yours and borrowed 2 TB's from buddies, and didn't fix the issue. Ended up being my gas pedal went bad it was like $80 or $90. So try and borrow a TB before you buy a new TB.

Also man that graph sure is choppy who did your tune because there's still power left on the table?

This was my old setup in my ls2 before the ls3 with ported ls2 intake and TB, afr225, and pat g cam.
I had it tuned at Wong's Performance which was recommended by all of the guys here on ls1tech in the Northwest section, they all rave about him. I even drove 150 miles down to go see him, he did tell me it was a "safe" tune which I was happy with. Now that you point it out, kind of makes me question if I should take the car to the local tuner here in Seattle after I get the ls2 and fast intake on.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dont worry about that graph, its choppy because it doesnt have smoothing like most charts use. EVERY dyno chart looks similar until they change the smoothing.

If you look at Jrane's graph the upper right says SAE Smoothing 5.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by itsslow98
But that's the thing--you absolutely do feel the different in throttle response.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I received my LS2 throttle body today, do you fellas think it is worth just polishing the rough edges of the throttle body lightly to get rid of the rough casting, no porting just a little polishing? Or should I leave it the **** alone?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I received my LS2 throttle body today, do you fellas think it is worth just polishing the rough edges of the throttle body lightly to get rid of the rough casting, no porting just a little polishing? Or should I leave it the **** alone?
Didn't a bad porting/polishing job get you into this conundrum in the first place?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll say that knocking the castings down shouldn't cause you any trouble as long as you stay away from the blade.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Leave it alone is my two cents.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I think I'm going to just leave it alone. It's interesting the LS2 has very unique angles to it which must have been engineered for a reason. Only thing that seems odd to me is the casting is so rough around the edges, is this for creating turblance on purpose or cost in production reasons? I can't imagine GM wouldn't design the manufacturing of these to make them completely smooth if it would result in better performance, seems like it would be an easy fix.

Anyways, just ramblings of a noob.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it bro.. The sticker felt better than the ported when it was workin

Quick Reply: My Dyno Numbers & Tune Question