Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just got CTS-V.. Snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in south western Ontario (Canada) and we usually see a pretty good amount of snow through the winter (except for last year when I only shoveled out the driveway once or twice). I research the **** out of everything, including the winter tires I put on our cars. General Altimax snow tires are by FAR the best value. Look into them. I got mine off tirerack for a very reasonable price.
For what it's worth, you will DEFINITELY want snows on your V if you're going to see much snow. They make a world of difference. A few bags of sand in the trunk will help a lot too (and your nivomat shocks will keep your ride "level" with the extra weight in the trunk).
Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by isis
I recently picked up a 1st gen. I'm going to drive it all year long, so I'm looking into snow tires. Anyone here run theirs in the snow? Any recommendations? I'd like to find a set of used wheels and possibly tires with life left, in case anyone sees some. These 6-lug hubs don't help that search. If I have to buy new tires, I'm probably not going to buy a second set of rims until next year.

Or is this forum all engine talk? I don't want to mod mine, it runs and drives absolutely perfect the way it is.

BTW, anyone a member at the other CTS-V forum (you know, the caddy place?) I can't create an account. It calls me spam no matter how many different ways I try to register.

Anyway, after being an owner for a few weeks, these are my problems so far.
I bought a used set of wheels with summer tires, which were a nice replacement for the crap-o RS-A's that came on my V. Then I bought new winter tires. If you can find used winters, great, but I think that's somewhat uncommon. Plus, you'd have a better perspective on when they are "too worn" if you experience how good they are new.

I got Dunlop Wintersport M3's, which are excellent in my opinion. Great in snow, but also fairly sporty in the dry. Unfortunately they no longer seem to be available in the V's sizes. I just got them like two years ago:

Oh, you can buy take-off wheels for $100-150 per wheel. So just keep that in mind in terms of the re-mounting cost being put towards them if you decide to use one set of rims for two sets of tires.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone run different sizes? 235/50-18 and 235/45-18 give you a bit more choices and some lower prices. I've had good luck using a narrower than stock size for snows on other cars, but never drove a rwd one with this much power. I'm concerned that may be a signifiant loss of traction in non-snowy conditions.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aurora40
Oh, you can buy take-off wheels for $100-150 per wheel. So just keep that in mind in terms of the re-mounting cost being put towards them if you decide to use one set of rims for two sets of tires.
Yeah, i'd only do the one set of wheels thing this first year. I just don't want to buy new wheels and new tires at the same time unless they are already mounted snow tires on a set of rims. Since my RS-A's are new, I'm going to put them back on in the spring, i just don't know which wheels they will be on; that depends on the snow setup I end up going with.

Quick Reply: Just got CTS-V.. Snow tires?