Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just got CTS-V.. Snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Just got CTS-V.. Snow tires?

I recently picked up a 1st gen. I'm going to drive it all year long, so I'm looking into snow tires. Anyone here run theirs in the snow? Any recommendations? I'd like to find a set of used wheels and possibly tires with life left, in case anyone sees some. These 6-lug hubs don't help that search. If I have to buy new tires, I'm probably not going to buy a second set of rims until next year.

Or is this forum all engine talk? I don't want to mod mine, it runs and drives absolutely perfect the way it is.

BTW, anyone a member at the other CTS-V forum (you know, the caddy place?) I can't create an account. It calls me spam no matter how many different ways I try to register.

Anyway, after being an owner for a few weeks, these are my problems so far.
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to the site!

I have a set for sale that came off 2 different 05 V's:

Photos of Tires

Old 08-16-2012 | 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, not sure about a mismatched set, but I imagine it may not that big of a deal since they look to have about equal wear. What are you asking and what do you think shipping to PA would be?
Old 08-16-2012 | 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by isis
I recently picked up a 1st gen. I'm going to drive it all year long, so I'm looking into snow tires. Anyone here run theirs in the snow? Any recommendations? I'd like to find a set of used wheels and possibly tires with life left, in case anyone sees some. These 6-lug hubs don't help that search. If I have to buy new tires, I'm probably not going to buy a second set of rims until next year.

Or is this forum all engine talk? I don't want to mod mine, it runs and drives absolutely perfect the way it is.

BTW, anyone a member at the other CTS-V forum (you know, the caddy place?) I can't create an account. It calls me spam no matter how many different ways I try to register.

Welcome!

1. Based on my research (many hours of reading reviews), your two best bets for tires that can handle snow are the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60. The former is an all-season tire with great snow handling capabilities for an all-season tire, and the latter is a great dedicated snow tire. The former costs $185 apiece at the standard 245/45ZR18 size, and the latter costs $235 apiece.

You'll have to use your own judgement regarding which one is right for you. If this is the only set of wheels you have, and you don't live in somewhere that gets insane amounts of snow, you're probably better off with the DWS since it'll wear nicely and provide fair street performance in dry conditions. If you have two sets of wheels, you'll probably be a little more inclined toward the LM-60, since you'll be able to swap wheels during inclement weather.

2. This forum is definitely not all engine talk. There's a section for that, if that's what you want. On average, I think the people here are more performance oriented, but we talk about everything. You'll see myself and other members on both forums at the same time.
Old 08-16-2012 | 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Had a question on my mind of a while, thought I'd ask here as the mismatched tires post brought it to mind. I hope the question is useful to the OP, otherwise I apologize for the hijack!

What would you guys think of putting All seasons like the Extreme Contact DWS on the FRONT and swapping out the rear tires based on season? So most of the year you rock Summer Tires on the back, swap out for winter tires if and when snow hits? Since the rear tires wear down so much faster on these cars, this might save some $$$, and still give you a good handling car.
Old 08-16-2012 | 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nitto makes a snow tire. A guy i work with has the
And he has had other snow tires and before buying the nittos never even heard of nitto, is not a car guy and will tell you he will never buy a goodyear again and that the nittos are the best tires he has ever had.
Old 08-16-2012 | 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DACTARI

What would you guys think of putting All seasons like the Extreme Contact DWS on the FRONT and swapping out the rear tires based on season? So most of the year you rock Summer Tires on the back, swap out for winter tires if and when snow hits? Since the rear tires wear down so much faster on these cars, this might save some $$$, and still give you a good handling car.
I'd be afraid that the front end would break free first during hard cornering in the summer.
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Consider yourself lucky, that site is horrible.

BTW Welcome, this section is for just about anything you can think of. Just remember a lot of questions you'll have have already been answered ten times if you use the search function.
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:43 PM
Teching In

I run my V year round my girlfriend drives it more than me. I run nitto snow tires and they are awesome. Where do you live and how much snow are you talking? I have pushed snow with my bumper a few times and they are great on ice. I have hankook ventus v12 evos for the summer.
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

DWS tires are real real good. I had them on my old CTS with daily driving during the blizzard. Drove from Atlantic City to NYC in the midst of it back in early 2011. For an all season tire, they do real good in snow and rain.

However, they were no match for the Blizzak ws60s my friend had on his Evo X. Aside from the fact the Evo is a whole different monster, the grip was much more noticable and I feel would have been almost as good in a RWD car.

If i was going for dedicated snows, I'd go ws60. If not, DWS is a real real good All season.
Old 08-17-2012 | 01:20 AM
Teching In

I would not recommend DWS for heavy snow use.
It does not do well with V.
Old 08-17-2012 | 01:54 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by tigerlion
I would not recommend DWS for heavy snow use.
It does not do well with V.
Do you have a specific example?
Old 08-17-2012 | 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm definitely going to get dedicated snows, and most likely mount them on the stock wheels for this season (unless the right used wheel/tire set pops up in the meantime). I even swapped the wheels off for dedicated snows in my Subarus over the last few years. I like to brake and turn as well as go. I live in Pittsburgh, so there isn't usually huge accumulation, but there is frequent rain, ice, and snow that will pop in out of nowhere. Plus the terrain is not exactly flat. Lots of winding/narrow/steep roads.

And, if I go that way I can decide on a set wheels later, like whether I put my summers back on the stock wheels in the spring or if I just get new (to me) wheels then. Anyone have opinions on Rotas? Pretty sure I'm thinking 18's and non-staggered. I like sidewalls and tire rotation. Also, the dealership put on a new set of RSA's for me before I picked up the car, so I at least want to run them out before changing tire/wheel size.

DrSpeed, shoot me an estimated price for the set with shipping to 15108 when you have time. I'm not in any kind of hurry. Probably don't need to get them on the car till November or later.
Old 08-17-2012 | 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Consider yourself lucky, that site is horrible.

BTW Welcome, this section is for just about anything you can think of. Just remember a lot of questions you'll have have already been answered ten times if you use the search function.
Good to know about that site.

I'll remember to search for sure. I usually read a lot more than I post on forums. My question was more of a thinly veiled attempt at a WTB thread for the tires as much as it was an introduction. Gotta have a few conversations before I can use the classifieds.

Plus I get to meet you fine people. Which is what a real forum is all about.
Old 08-17-2012 | 08:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
No, hes just talking out of his azz.
Old 08-17-2012 | 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone currently run the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on their V? I'm curious how much the dry performance is impacted. I’ve read that they wallow a bit. If there is crazy snow I would just stay home, but in the light stuff I still need to get to work.
Old 08-17-2012 | 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MacLEAN
Does anyone currently run the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on their V? I'm curious how much the dry performance is impacted.
I'll have them mounted on my stock wheels as soon as my Forgestar F14s arrive.

Your question is hard to answer objectively because the size of the impact depends on how hard you drive in dry weather and what kind of tires you usually run.
Old 08-17-2012 | 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Easy solution....Don't live in miserably cold places where it snows. Enjoy the new car OP, fun on a bun.
Old 08-17-2012 | 10:55 AM
Teching In

Yeah, After I read all those comments about its snow traction on the tirerack , I bought it for all season+winter use but it was not that helpful on the snow. It might work for you but I did not see much difference it and regular all season tire on V
Old 08-17-2012 | 10:25 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Anyone here run theirs in the snow? Any recommendations?
As I imagine you've already seen, there aren't a ton of snow tire options in the 245/45-18 size, and they're all pretty damn expensive. Looking at Tire Rack it appears that Dunlop has stopped making the Wintersport M3s in our size (that's what came on my car when I bought it, and is in the pic that DrSpeed posted). I ran those for two winters, but that was out in Western WA, where winter is mostly cold and drizzly rather than snowy, so I don't know that they ever actually saw snow. The last couple winters I've just run all-seasons because I've been in the Mid-Atlantic and have a Subaru to drive if we get any real snow.

This is probably the only significant accumulation I've ever driven the V in:

(That was at Bryce Canyon National Park in UT as I was driving cross-country from WA to the DC area in early 2010.)

BTW, anyone a member at the other CTS-V forum (you know, the caddy place?) I can't create an account.
Can't help you with the login issues, as I've been registered over there for a while. If you can get past all the stupid ads, the signal-to-noise ratio is about the same there as it is here. I would say there's definitely better LS tech here (both here in this V forum, and in the actual Gen III/IV LS engine forums), but other than that the sites are pretty much the same.

I'd be afraid that the front end would break free first during hard cornering in the summer.
And that the front would break free first in the winter, too, which would probably be even worse.

Originally Posted by pho_phizzat
I run my V year round my girlfriend drives it more than me. I run nitto snow tires and they are awesome.
What Nitto snow tires are you running? I didn't know they made any, and their site doesn't show any snow tires at all.

Anyone have opinions on Rotas? Pretty sure I'm thinking 18's and non-staggered. I like sidewalls and tire rotation.
I have the first set of Rota Torques that were made for the V, as I was the one that pushed wheeldude.com to make a V fitment. I've used them on the street, done a few track days on them (on street tires), and now have them as my winter wheels. No issues to report. I also have Rotas on my Subie, again with no issues. Great bang for the buck IMO. I don't think the Torques are the best looking wheels out there for the V, but there simply aren't many (any?) options in a stock type fitment, so they're pretty hard to beat.

Quick Reply: Just got CTS-V.. Snow tires?