Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lets talk clutches!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The diamond kit came with everything i needed. I love it! Pedal isn't heavy and it grabs like a champ. No chatter either which is a must IMO.

Thanks for the help on the tranny fluid. Who carries that redline stuff Fuzzy? Planning to do an oil and tranny fluid change today. Might change the diff fluid too but its not that old yet.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racermike68
Per our conversation the other day, I don't believe Brian is making the brass bushings anymore. I think the PVC is the only option now.
Huh i must have got lucky about a month ago and bought one of his last set. The PVC bushings go in a different place though, those go at the end of the remote shifter support. where the brass bushing goes on the other end of the shifter. If he has access to a machine shop they shouldn't be too complicated to make (measure a few diameters and widths and you are good to go. You just need to be tight on the tolerances to get the benefit. I would look at how much play yours has and see if it is worth it, I don't think mine was really sloppy, but i had the bushings and the transmission out so I was going to put them in.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Centerforce DFX (12") clutch, LS1 flywheel and LS7 Slave. 20K miles on clutch and still holding strong. Smooth like stock. I previously had this same kit in my Camaro and transfered it over to the V. The Camaro was making 500 rwhp and I was running 315 M/T drag radials. Its a highly overlooked clutch setup and is bullet-proof. Do not confuse this setup with their 11" DFX clutch. ITs entirely different.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
That's the aussie clutch right?
Yep. I know if I exceed my stock LS9 clutch then I am going with the mantic

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150784
Old 08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Surprised nobody's warning about issues they've had with lightened flywheels... IE the 19lb RAM FW that's available with the LS7 kit from SD. No personal experience, but was advised by many NOT to bother with the lightened FW.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
Surprised nobody's warning about issues they've had with lightened flywheels... IE the 19lb RAM FW that's available with the LS7 kit from SD. No personal experience, but was advised by many NOT to bother with the lightened FW.
19 lbs isn't that light. Especially not if you have an aftermarket harmonic damper on the crank. The ATI 917266 weighs 6.75 lbs. So although I have a 13 lb Fidanza flywheel, my total mass is 19.75 lbs.

Granted, you need to be much more aware about your throttle position during take-off, but that's going to be true of anything compared to the 50.1 lb dual-mass boat anchor that came with these cars.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by racermike68
Per our conversation the other day, I don't believe Brian is making the brass bushings anymore. I think the PVC is the only option now.
Why go brass when you can choose ball bearings? I love this new DLSR, by the way.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have a lightweight FW, or never driven a V with one, then don't send warnings on something you are actually missing out on. The revs/decels are waaaayyyy faster.

I've had my 18lb in for a couple years now. I love it.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
If you don't have a lightweight FW, or never driven a V with one, then don't send warnings on something you are actually missing out on. The revs/decels are waaaayyyy faster.

I've had my 18lb in for a couple years now. I love it.
Eeeeaaaasyyy buddy. I didn't say nor indicate that I had first hand experience. I've done a fair amount of research though. I also had a very informative phone conversation with one of the vendors here who sells and installs a lot of ls7 clutch kits. His advice warned of many issues enherent with the lightened flywheel being ran on otherwise un/lightly modified V1's. Tunes, Maggies, cams, etc. change things - but that's not what I was referring to.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

LS9x clutch from katech has a 12lb flywheel if I'm remembering correctly. Runs like a champ on an unmodified V. I know because this was my first mod when I picked up this car...It being a twin disk clutch helps, smooth as can be.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Eeeeaaaasyyy buddy. I didn't say nor indicate that I had first hand experience. I've done a fair amount of research though. I also had a very informative phone conversation with one of the vendors here who sells and installs a lot of ls7 clutch kits. His advice warned of many issues enherent with the lightened flywheel being ran on otherwise un/lightly modified V1's. Tunes, Maggies, cams, etc. change things - but that's not what I was referring to.
Consider that person an unreliable source. I've been running a 13 lb flywheel with absolutely no problems whatsoever. If I could go lighter, I would.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Fuzzy; are you not modded fairly significantly? And tuned as well?
I'm not arguing one way or the other. I'm just playing devils advocate since most of the feedback here seems to go one way. A phobe call to East Coast Performance is where I'd send anyone who wants more info on this. Seems to me that they sell a LOT of these things, and install a fair amount too.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not arguing one way or the other. I'm just playing devils advocate since most of the feedback here seems to go one way. A phobe call to East Coast Performance is where I'd send anyone who wants more info on this. Seems to me that they sell a LOT of these things, and install a fair amount too.
I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is with a lightened flywheel. Will I call ECP, no, bc I'm in Afghanistan. So could you please inform the "uneducated" of such issues.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in no place to "educate" on this. All I'm saying here is that I was advised against a lightened FW like the 19Lb RAM. And I was advised by someone that I would consider a pretty reliable source given his experience. If you want details and can't make the call, PM him. He's on the forum. My conversation with him was a year ago or more, so I wouldn't want to start quoting what he told me.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well to add some actual experience with the ram 19lb flywheel on an stock engine otherwise, it works great! if i didn't tell you it was a lightweight flywheel I don't think you would know until you punched it and felt the extra acceleration. It does not have any problems starting on the street, and really feels like stock in those terms, it just helps the car to be peppier.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the lightened flywheel to anyone, even if you want stock drive ability.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I love my 15lb'r. Revs faster and the clutch I'm running is grabby but no negative things to be said about the light flywheel here.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Correct on both counts. However, there's not a whole lot your tuner can do to make a lightweight flywheel easier to drive with. Dropping the 50 lb boat anchor in favor of a 13 lb flywheel will definitely force a change in the way that you start the car from a stop. Technically speaking, a very lightweight flywheel is supposed to make it harder to idle the car smoothly, since if you think about it, there's less inertia in the bottom end of the motor to smooth out vibration.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A light flywheel is only part of it.

My Monster had the "light" flywheel, but the pressure plate almost made up for the difference.

The whole rotating mass was lighter, but the pressure plate was a lot heavier then the stock one.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a McLeod RST twin disc on a lightweight chromoly flywheel. Great clutch! It has about the same pedal effort as stock, just a little bit of twin disc chatter. I got mine for about $550 IIRC because of a pricing error. Flywheel was like $200 or something along those lines. I needed a slave cylinder spacer like the LS7 clutch.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

I don't even want to here about the light flywheel issues. My LS7 setup used a 13lbs flywheel and TOTAL clutch weight from my Exedy was less than 40lbs with a moment of inertia much closer than anything else listed in this thread and I never had an issue starting in traffic with either clutch. The Exedy is so light that the car almost revd like a bike. There is NO issue going to a light flywheel unless this is your first car with a manual transmission and you're a woman or a little sissy guy.

Quick Reply: Lets talk clutches!