Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tranny fluid change... What fluid do you guys suggest??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help Fuzzy. I guess ill just change the engine oil today and wait until monday to contact Shane about the trans fluid. That'll give me a little more time to do some poking around and make a decision anyway. I'll also do some calling around right now and see if i can find amsoil or redline on the shelf somewhere. Curious to know if any of the shops around here carry it on hand. Worst case scenario, i'll get to the tranny fluid change later this week when i get my few days off before i go on nights. A few more days on the current stuff isn't going to make a bit of difference anyway.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

amsoil torqe drive here, great stuff
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=207
Old 08-25-2012, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

oh yea i ordered amsoil online directly from them, they shipped it to me in 3 business days
Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Thanks for the help Fuzzy. I guess ill just change the engine oil today and wait until monday to contact Shane about the trans fluid. That'll give me a little more time to do some poking around and make a decision anyway. I'll also do some calling around right now and see if i can find amsoil or redline on the shelf somewhere. Curious to know if any of the shops around here carry it on hand. Worst case scenario, i'll get to the tranny fluid change later this week when i get my few days off before i go on nights. A few more days on the current stuff isn't going to make a bit of difference anyway.
I couldn't find it locally. Since I was buying 5 gallons of each, I actually had to do quite a bit of comparison shopping online.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I figured the mobil 1 stuff was probably a decent product. I figure if their oil is good stuff, their other products are probably right in line with that.

I supposed since im waiting now, ordering the stuff online isn't a big issue. I'll do some price shopping.

Are both the redline D4 and the amsoil torque drive fluids dextron III compatible?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

torque drive is def dextron 3 compatabile, i cant comment on other stuff as i havnt used it or read the bottle
Old 08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok great! Just called a place about 10 miles from me that has the amsoil torque drive in stock. They carry the gallon of that stuff for $50 which should be all i need. $50 a gallon is comparable to online prices so i think i may just go pick it up. I figure running the redline or amsoil i cant go wrong. The amsoil is indeed dexron III compatible after looking it up online to double check so it looks good to go. No one local carries the redline so far.

As far as the diff, my buddy said they put some industrial grade synthetic gear oil in the diff but he cant recall the weight or name brand. Said they did use the friction modifier though when they installed it. His stepdad is a mechanic (who helped him install the 8.8 kit) they used some gear oil that he had at his shop. He said was good quality stuff they run in all their diffs so im sure its fine.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I would bring your concerns directly to Shane. All I can say is that my transmission shifts extremely well and it's very quiet. Shane's fluid recommendation is for brutal race applications (e.g. regularly shifting at 6500 RPM). Under that kind of mechanical and thermal stress, oil will begin to shear and behave like a lower viscosity oil.

Similarly, I wouldn't recommend Redline 15W-40 diesel oil for people with stock CTS-Vs that drive them like Toyota Camrys. Using that kind of oil is stupid and potentially dangerous if you drive conservatively in cold weather or attempt to punch the engine when it's cold. Shane will tell you that he's recently switched to a new blend of 0W-40 that I'll probably migrate over to once my supply of Redline is gone.
Say it ain't so! Are you really going away from the diesel oil?!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Say it ain't so! Are you really going away from the diesel oil?!
The blend will feature most of the additives (zinc and phosphorous) that make diesel oil attractive, plus I'll be able to run it in the winter because of its lower cold viscosity rating. The downside is that it's even more expensive than the Redline diesel oil already is.

Redline 15W-40 synthetic diesel oil costs $11.50/quart, versus about $5/quart for Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic motor oil.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahahah/\ enjoy your truck motor

amsoil torqe drive, bled the clutch fully at the same time and she drove like a brand new car.. high RPM lock out gone
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
I will. How are your glue-on mods treating you?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will. How are your glue-on mods treating you?
glue?? they are all bolted on tool why aren't you complaining about bullying yet?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

glue?? they are all bolted on tool why aren't you complaining about bullying yet?

I'm glad to see you spent $5000 to deliver your lack of power to the rear wheels.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disagree. The higher you go, the harder the going gets. If you feel that way, fill your transmission with water. I'm sure it'll work just fine.
I just spent $100 on Amsoil and a Mobil 1 filter for my oil change...

Do you think I could just return that stuff and get a case or two of Zephyr hills?

And would you recommend the spring water or drinking water? Gallon container, or 16/20oz plastic bottles?

-meaty
Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! I'm planning to go amsoil in the trans but I'll most likely stay Mobil 1 in the motor.

Deja blue is pretty tempting though.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done mine with mobile1 a few times and it definitely shifts much smoother. I've always wanted to try something different like amsoil or this brew that fuzzy L speaks of, but it's always an impulse decision so I buy the best thing I can get off the shelf which is conveniently the stock fluid.

Being under warranty for years also conditioned me to using stock fluids. You know they started smelling it around diff #5 hahaha. suckers.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
Being under warranty for years also conditioned me to using stock fluids. You know they started smelling it around diff #5 hahaha. suckers.
FIVE? I guess that's one way to ensure you have the latest generation differential. Ever break one leaving the dealership?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Don't know how you would be in a bind. I've never had to drain a tranny or diff in an emergency without having to order parts. Amsoil is at most 2 to 3 days away if you cant find it local. I'm sure the same is with redline too.
I have a local dealer up here in Kingwood if you get in a bind. They have almost everything stocked when I went in awhile back. Its the Napa on Northpark that stocks amsoil
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

amsoil torqe drive, bled the clutch fully at the same time and she drove like a brand new car.. high RPM lock out gone
This happened to me for the first time last week. I never really flog my car from a dig but for whatever reason I said f it when I saw this clown in a red g8 gt speeding through a school zone. I caught up with him at the light. Wasn't a good scenario.. My back tires aren't in great shape. One of them was even at 24 psi. Green light. First mistake, I didn't just bury his ***, I waited. He got the jump. First was spinning, second caught and floated a bit. Yes I shifted it like a stolen rental car and despite the issues I had him by a few feet. Road was narrowing and I had him on the outside ready for a ditch. Third-. Third? Third? F*ck! Locked out. I tried to jam that damn thing so hard...wouldn't even grind in. I didn't care if I threw a gear tooth...but I lost. Fn pontiac.

FIVE? I guess that's one way to ensure you have the latest generation differential. Ever break one leaving the dealership?
No but I wanted to, believe me.. I had 6 total. All for whining. I never powershifted a single one..even when we were waiting on a new one to come in and I was driving my car for days with a diff that was coming out anyway. I wanted to maintain my integrity with the dealer so I could keep getting stuff replaced.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the Redline tranny fluid suggestion Fuzzy. I put some in my trans yesterday. My trans shifts smoother than it ever has! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid change... What fluid do you guys suggest??