Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tranny fluid change... What fluid do you guys suggest??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny fluid change... What fluid do you guys suggest??

Well fellas, I plan to knock out a complete fluid change on the V today. I've been racking my brain for the last hour or so by searching and sifting through old tranny fluid threads and it seems like every single one says something different. Figured i'd post here hoping to get some good suggestions from some reputable sources.

For motor oil, i run the mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 as suggested from the factory. I don't see any reason to change it. I don't believe in extended change intervals regardless what synthetic is used and mobil 1 is good stuff IMO. I change it every 4-5k miles (obviously more frequently when i'm using the nitrous which isn't very often).

For tranny fluid, i know i need to use dextron III ATF for the T-56 in this car but there are quite a few options that meet the requirements. I know there are multiple brands that offer ATF tranny fluid... Mobil 1, Redline D4, Royal Purple synchromax (Although i don't have any serious personal bad experiences with RP, i just don't particularly care for it in general), Amsoil, etc.

FuzzyLogic suggested redline D4 fluid which looks like good stuff from what i've read during my search but I like running something that is readily available when needed. Its seems like only a few specialty stores carry the redline and amsoil products in low volume (a lot of times sold out or don't have enough on hand for a complete change) while every local auto parts store stocks all the other brands in high volume making it much easier to get my hands on. So with that in mind, I'm trying to make a smart decision to avoid the possibility of getting caught in a bind and not being able to find what i need when i need it. What do you guys suggest to run??

I'm leaning toward the mobil 1 synthetic ATF as long as its the same viscosity as the dextron III fluid unless someone can steer me in a better direction. My thinking behind this is to keep the fluids the same brand throughout since i run mobil 1 in the motor.

And finally, I'd like to change the diff fluid as well. The CS 8.8 hasn't been in there for long (maybe 10k miles or so since my buddy installed it) but i figure ill swap it for preventative maintenance unless i hear back from him soon and he tells me he used a quality gear oil at the time of install. Waiting to find out what he filled it with as we speak. In the meantime incase i do need to change it, what weight and what brand gear oil do you guys run or suggest to run in the diff?? Keep in mind its an iron 8.8 diff with trutrac and a 4.10. I know gear ratio doesn't matter but I don't know if the 8.8 itself would require a different gear oil than the stock porcelain differentials do that come in these cars. I wouldn't think that to be likely but i'm just covering all bases.

Thanks for the help in advance fellas!!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

I run amsoil in tranny and diff. Had RP in tranny and thought my shifting felt wierd so I drained it and went amsoil. If not amsoil I'd personally just use mobile.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used Royal Purple Synchromax and Mobil 1 ATF. The latter made my transmission sound like a diesel truck transmission. Definitely wouldn't use it again. Over the past two years, I've been reading articles about Royal Purple and gradually realized that they've got a bad product with excellent marketing. Talk to performance shops in the area, and they'll probably tell you that they stock it because people ask for it, but that they hate it.

Shane at Thunder Racing had a recommendation that he uses on his LS6 CTS-V, which he beat the living crap out of. I know you've heard me talk about the merits of his recommendations before, so I'll leave that out and just tell you to call him or someone at Texas Speed for advice. 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF and 1 quart MTL 70W80 GL4 on a newer T56, progressing toward a 50/50 blend of D4 ATF and MTL as you get up in mileage or if the T56 starts to whine.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

See... I've always been told amsoil is great stuff. If it was readily available, i'd go that route 100%. Only hesitation like i said is being caught in a bind and not being able to find what i need when i need it.

As far as RP, although i said i don't have any serious negative experiences with their products, i did swap to RP 5w30 synthetic for a couple changes in my old V and i swear i heard more valve train noise while running it. I swapped back to Mobil 1 5w30 and the valve train noise was much less noticeable if not completely non-existent. I've run mobil 1 for years in the past without a single issue so I think ill stay away from RP.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
See... I've always been told amsoil is great stuff. If it was readily available, i'd go that route 100%. Only hesitation like i said is being caught in a bind and not being able to find what i need when i need it.
That's obviously their biggest downside. I respect their technical articles, but their restrictive business practices make me wonder whether they actually want to sell oil or not.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Don't know how you would be in a bind. I've never had to drain a tranny or diff in an emergency without having to order parts. Amsoil is at most 2 to 3 days away if you cant find it local. I'm sure the same is with redline too.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I've used Royal Purple Synchromax and Mobil 1 ATF. The latter made my transmission sound like a diesel truck transmission. Definitely wouldn't use it again. Over the past two years, I've been reading articles about Royal Purple and gradually realized that they've got a bad product with excellent marketing. Talk to performance shops in the area, and they'll probably tell you that they stock it because people ask for it, but that they hate it.

Shane at Thunder Racing had a recommendation that he uses on his LS6 CTS-V, which he beat the living crap out of. I know you've heard me talk about the merits of his recommendations before, so I'll leave that out and just tell you to call him or someone at Texas Speed for advice. 3 quarts Redline D4 ATF and 1 quart MTL 70W80 GL4 on a newer T56, progressing toward a 50/50 blend of D4 ATF and MTL as you get up in mileage or if the T56 starts to whine.
Yup! I've had numerous performance shops tell me royal purple is crap. I just don't have any hard evidence myself to prove so and i know some people are RP fans until the end. To each their own. I just don't like it.

Your suggestion sounds good to me Fuzzy and you're right, i have heard you speak highly of Shane before. I'll give them a shout.

Where exactly do you get your redline fluids from? Anywhere local carry that stuff on hand?

The only reservation i have with that redline suggestion is the 1 quart of MTL 70w80 GL4. I've read countless threads talking about the t-56 having extremely tight clearances and anything with a higher viscosity than the dextron III will cause problem in the trans over time. If its tried and true, its hard to argue with it but it seems that these t-56's are picky when it comes to fluid. I have 84k miles on my car which isn't a ton but definitely makes it a little more sensitive to change i would think.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 08-25-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
That's obviously their biggest downside. I respect their technical articles, but their restrictive business practices make me wonder whether they actually want to sell oil or not.
I agree. With all the praise from people who use it, you would think they'd want to make it readily available so they could sell a lot more of it.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Don't know how you would be in a bind. I've never had to drain a tranny or diff in an emergency without having to order parts. Amsoil is at most 2 to 3 days away if you cant find it local. I'm sure the same is with redline too.
Thats true. The tranny and diff fluids are much less likely to be needed in a hurry but i still like knowing if i need it asap, i can get ahold of it in a timely manner. I guess mentally, its just more relaxing to me... lol
Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

In a bind you could always use mobile 1
Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Lol! That's true. I wouldn't want to mix fluids though. Same type scenario as with the engine oil. If i'm low a quart and only need one, i wouldn't want to throw a different brand oil in there than the rest. I'd drain it completely before i did that. I realize the trans will most likely never have an issue like that (pretty positive it NEVER will) but im just explaining my thinking/reasoning... lol
Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Anybody use GM Synchromesh in there trans? Seemed to work better in the T5s than any ATF.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

I usually have an extra quart kicking around oil amsoil, I always order a little extra when I'm refilling. Just incase I say dump a container over or something.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Teching In

I think you should change your user name to OverAnalyzed02. It's transmission fluid, not rocket surgery.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Larimer
I think you should change your user name to OverAnalyzed02. It's transmission fluid, not rocket surgery.
Disagree. The higher you go, the harder the going gets. If you feel that way, fill your transmission with water. I'm sure it'll work just fine.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tommycompton
I usually have an extra quart kicking around oil amsoil, I always order a little extra when I'm refilling. Just incase I say dump a container over or something.
Smart man. Not a bad idea at all.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Larimer... Nothing wrong with doing some research before making a crucial mistake. I prefer to learn from other peoples mistakes when possible rather than learning from my own by costing myself a bunch of money when i by being misinformed and tearing something up.

Fuzzy... Good response. lol

Btw... The whole thing that sparked this tranny fluid change is because i've noticed in the am when the trans is cold, the shifting seems to be a little more rough and notchy. As soon as i've driven a few blocks, it shifts like butter. Not sure if this is common or not. There is no grind and every gear (even reverse) shifts perfect... just a slight different feel when its cold as opposed to warm.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Yup! I've had numerous performance shops tell me royal purple is crap. I just don't have any hard evidence myself to prove so and i know some people are RP fans until the end. To each their own. I just don't like it.

Your suggestion sounds good to me Fuzzy and you're right, i have heard you speak highly of Shane before. I'll give them a shout.

Where exactly do you get your redline fluids from? Anywhere local carry that stuff on hand?

The only reservation i have with that redline suggestion is the 1 quart of MTL 70w80 GL4. I've read countless threads talking about the t-56 having extremely tight clearances and anything with a higher viscosity than the dextron III will cause problem in the trans over time. If its tried and true, its hard to argue with it but it seems that these t-56's are picky when it comes to fluid. I have 84k miles on my car which isn't a ton but definitely makes it a little more sensitive to change i would think.
I would bring your concerns directly to Shane. All I can say is that my transmission shifts extremely well and it's very quiet. Shane's fluid recommendation is for brutal race applications (e.g. regularly shifting at 6500 RPM). Under that kind of mechanical and thermal stress, oil will begin to shear and behave like a lower viscosity oil.

Similarly, I wouldn't recommend Redline 15W-40 diesel oil for people with stock CTS-Vs that drive them like Toyota Camrys. Using that kind of oil is stupid and potentially dangerous if you drive conservatively in cold weather or attempt to punch the engine when it's cold. Shane will tell you that he's recently switched to a new blend of 0W-40 that I'll probably migrate over to once my supply of Redline is gone.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 08-25-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

From my experience amsoil is the way to go. The stuff is a little pricier than RP or Mobil 1 but it's my preffered choice. Never any issues with it, I will say RP is overated from experience, stuff made my truck sound like a damn typewriter.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running mobile 1 for a few months now and so far I don't know that I could tell a difference from stock, sounds the same (may shift better, but I did a few things to tighten the shifter up when i replaced it) So no complaints from me.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid change... What fluid do you guys suggest??