Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

WOT, c0242 code, REP mode, T/C light

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default WOT, c0242 code, REP mode, T/C light

I just got my car back from the tuner, and while breaking the engine in, I was sporadically getting reduced engine power mode, my T/C light came on, and my car would still when I let off the gas. We chalked it up to the tune... the car was calculating too much air for the TPS, and it thought the butterfly was stuck open, so we thought. I was also throwing a code for the steering wheel position sensor.

Changed the parameters in the tune, and he noticed a voltage drop in the car, right as REP mode kicked on. They couldn't dyno the car, it would randomly do this, well, they hooked up a battery charger, and it went away completely.

I should note that my battery light isn't on, my DIC reads 12.8 volts battery OK, but, the car sat for a little over a month with the battery connected (accidentally), and TBH I think I left my interior lights on to completely drain the battery (motor swaps are a pain in the dick).

So here's what I'm asking: in your opinion, do you think the EBCM, and SWPS both went bad simultaneously, or do you think I have a voltage issue? I feel like I may have a dead/dying battery, if not an alternator.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My first guess would be a weak battery and/or bad connections. I would put in a known good battery and double check the battery cable connections. Remember, the problem that develops with the battery connections (and the rest of the grounds for that matter) is oxidation. The oxidation just makes the metal look dull and appears to be harmless - but it ain't. You should take flat file, points file, or emery paper and make the grounds shiney. In addition the battery ground, I would shine up the ground underneath the hood strut and the 3 grounds on the back of both heads.

Finally, if your alternator is bad, you should be able to make the inside dome lights dim by turning on the AC, fans and other accessories. In fact, without some alternator amperage the engine will eventually die when all the accessories are running.

Last edited by Darkman; 09-09-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have an OEM battery, it is probably the battery.

You say you drained it and it sat for a month DUH.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um... numbers?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put a Red Top in it, and the issue went away. I took the red top out to cut the top post down a little bit, and put it back in, and it came back... hmm.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

just a quick heads up guys, I think I resolved the issue.

I ran a ground strap from the main ground (under the hood strut), to the - of the battery, and the - of the battery to the ground on the back of the head. lights seem a hair brighter, starting is faster, and most importantly, i'm not throwing the code. when I feel like it, I'm going to run another one from the DS head over to the strut tower just because i'm a real bad idiot.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a REP issue with my Silverado SS and it was a loose ground. I literally turned the bolt 1/2 turn and it was OMG tight at that point. It has never happened again and that was 4 years ago.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's back i need more help
Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a long shot, but how's your fuel pump doing? When I was installing my Walbro and the Racetronix hotwire kit, I got a better feel for the way the fuel system works and theorized that a faulty or blocked return valve or severely degraded fuel filter could stall the fuel pump, resulting in a short burst of massive current draw.

Backing way up, is there ANY pattern to this at all, or a series of tests that we could devise that will test each critical fuel and ignition component in series?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
it's back i need more help
Did you try a different battery?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A faulty regulator on your alternator will wreak havoc... Like others said you need a healthy battery to assess the situation... As well as good connections
Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

How can it not throw a code? Something is causing it to go into REP mode. Have you done anything different to the throttle body? If there is a mismatch in resistance between the TPS sensors that will do it. Did you pressure wash the engine? Water in a connector will cause it. Triple check all connections especially at the starter and anything else you messed with when you changed the engine. Make sure you did not smash or crimp any wiring when installing the engine.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

That Code is a ABS code. Did you bump/loosen the ABS module in the front of the car? Here is a link where they talk about the problems they have with ABS/stabilitrak controllers http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ir-1214-a.html
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the diode trio is going bad inside the alternator, AC voltage can bleed into the system and wreak havoc. The EBCM and SRS (airbag) are the most sensitive modules on the car and are usually affected the most.

I would also try another battery...as I have said before, if the batteries internal resistance gets too high, you will have these issue's even though they would not cause these problems in older vehicles. It takes a really expensive tester to measure this.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still have the red top, tried a few pulls with an autocraft battery and it did the same as the Napa and optima.

Where is the ground for this module? I scanned in front of the radiator and searched for pinched wires but didn't find anything.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I went sideways and it threw the code... Could it be because I have larger tires in the front? (only because I'm balding my old ones)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RADEoN
Oh I went sideways and it threw the code... Could it be because I have larger tires in the front? (only because I'm balding my old ones)
Possibly, but i run larger diameter tires in rear than in front with no issues. I dunno if its different with the reverse.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually, it did it on the dyno, when the front wheels weren't even spinning.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Another thought: is it possible that you have a dud throttle body? I'm just recollecting the REP issues that people had due to poor throttle body porting jobs. Either the throttle body came back DOA, or it failed weeks or months afterwards.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's actually a very good idea, although why wouldn't I be throwing a CEL for the TB? I also have the Casper's electronics adapter harness to connect an LS2 TB to my car.

Quick Reply: WOT, c0242 code, REP mode, T/C light