Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

UMI Motor Mounts TWO thumbs UP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UMI Motor Mounts TWO thumbs UP!

Just finished installing my umi motor mounts. I dont really know what all the bitching is about with vibration. Yes there is a little more but in my eyes, nothing to shake a stick at. Easy to install, quality, fit and finish were great. Glad I never have to mess with my mm again.

Wont ever look like this again
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent to hear! Thanks for the comments.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Excellent to hear! Thanks for the comments.
Yo UMI! If you offered these things with a choice of bushing softness, you'd get a lot of guys that are currently on the fence.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are heat shields needed with umi mm's?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BUKSING
Are heat shields needed with umi mm's?
no they are not
Old 09-17-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I read on here that there is a killer vibration when you turn the AC on..

I have a set of the RC51 mounts waiting on the self when this turns into a gayyrage queen
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
I read on here that there is a killer vibration when you turn the AC on..

If they complain they are wimps
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Honestly, if i had to pull these mounts out and do it all over again it would probably take me around 4 hours including clean up and opening a beer. Im no pro mechanic and am just using normal hand tools. IF you hate them, take them out and put in a "softer" pair, but i bet they will be the same.

With that said, what is there to be on the fence about? Everyone says they wish they had options for different firmness bushings. But really? that looks great on paper and all but the idea is to get away from soft bushings. Thought most of us knew by now that there really is no compromise between performance and comfort. If you want comfort, put in a set of stockers and replace them again in 40k miles. If you want your motor to be mounted securely translating to less wasted hp, put in a set of umi, cs, or rs mounts and quit telling vendors to offer different hardnesses. Comon people grow a pair, you bought a PERFORMANCE sedan didnt ya?

I extend an offer to anyone local to SF that is on the fence to take my car out and i bet you wont even think twice about buying a set of mm.

Last edited by catch2otwo; 09-17-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

I installed UMIs and I love em. Yes, there are vibes, but I enjoy it, honestly. Some others may not, however. The only drawback is that I sometimes wonder if it's the mounts vs. an exhuast problem or whatever. Makes diagnosis by ear a little trickier.

For the record, I notice no difference between when AC is on and off. I think that was DMM... I wonder if he's having an interaction with a bad harmonic damper or something.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

UMI's... The only aftermarket option as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by catch2otwo
Honestly, if i had to pull these mounts out and do it all over again it would probably take me around 4 hours including clean up and opening a beer. Im no pro mechanic and am just using normal hand tools. IF you hate them, take them out and put in a "softer" pair, but i bet they will be the same.

With that said, what is there to be on the fence about? Everyone says they wish they had options for different firmness bushings. But really? that looks great on paper and all but the idea is to get away from soft bushings. Thought most of us knew by now that there really is no compromise between performance and comfort. If you want comfort, put in a set of stockers and replace them again in 40k miles. If you want your motor to be mounted securely translating to less wasted hp, put in a set of umi, cs, or rs mounts and quit telling vendors to offer different hardnesses. Comon people grow a pair, you bought a PERFORMANCE sedan didnt ya?

I extend an offer to anyone local to SF that is on the fence to take my car out and i bet you wont even think twice about buying a set of mm.
You missed the point. We all want stiffer, more durable mounts. What we don't want are mounts that are one step displaced from solid steel. We bought a performance SEDAN, not a race car. There's a happy medium there that the vendors have not addressed yet.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
You missed the point. We all want stiffer, more durable mounts. What we don't want are mounts that are one step displaced from solid steel. We bought a performance SEDAN, not a race car. There's a happy medium there that the vendors have not addressed yet.

No, i understand your point completely. I want a car with 400+ hp and get good mileage too. Im not asking for 700 hp, just 400 with great mileage I can commute 100 miles a day with, im looking for a sedan not a race car...

Point is, its science. A softer mount wears out under regular use and will definately wear out when you abuse your car as if it were a RACE CAR. Lets face it, if you were just going to drive it like a sedan you would have bought a normal sedan. What will you post when your "softer" motor mounts **** the bed in a year? It'll probably go something like this " My xyz motor mounts suck, they **** the bed in only 1 year!"

Come ride in my car, its not as bad as you think...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

No, i understand your point completely. I want a car with 400+ hp and get good mileage too. Im not asking for 700 hp, just 400 with great mileage I can commute 100 miles a day with, im looking for a sedan not a race car...

Point is, its science. A softer mount wears out under regular use and will definately wear out when you abuse your car as if it were a RACE CAR. Lets face it, if you were just going to drive it like a sedan you would have bought a normal sedan. What will you post when your "softer" motor mounts **** the bed in a year? It'll probably go something like this " My xyz motor mounts suck, they **** the bed in only 1 year!"

Come ride in my car, its not as bad as you think...
Agreed I've got them in my 05 with a maggie and they are not bad. I have MINIMAL vibes at idle but mostly through the shifter (maybe due to CS diff mount), otherwise smooth driving for me.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

looks just like my stock mounts i got out today! glad to hear you got a good set of mounts in.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Are either of you guys cammed?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Are either of you guys cammed?
Not yet
Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Not yet
And therein lies my fear.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

I'll find out in the springtime
Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with the OP ... I honestly don't know what vibration you guys are feeling ... and maybe I don;t want to know.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't notice any real vibrations until I changed out my stock trans mount with a CS trans mount, then it seemed all the vibes kicked in at once.

Quick Reply: UMI Motor Mounts TWO thumbs UP!