Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need some info on CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it, especially if its an 06-07. My 2005 is at 99k miles and I plan to take it a lot farther than that. Only had to replace the motor mounts. Best dd I could ask for. Im a college student also, and the V should be much cheaper on insurance than a vette or GTO. My insurance is dirt cheap given what is under the hood and how old I am. I was between the same cars and it turned out to be a no-brainer to get the V. Youll love the space/power/gas mileage/baller-status all in one car.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Hah you just said gas mileage talking about a V. Seriously though, buy the car its a fun one. Do the mounts and bushings and she'll run fine. Diff bushing and block too.

Edit: Insurance is dirt cheap on these things, unless your driving record sucks. It appears the V1's have reached the age where insurance companies aren't to worried about shelling out big bucks if you crash. My insurance runs in the $30 dollar a month range for all the coverage that my insurance is willing to sell me.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

^^ That's crazy cheap for full coverage! I'm only 21, with one reckless driving ticket and I pay about $80 a month for full coverage which isn't bad to me.

I also get decent gas mileage in the V, 17.5 around the town and 28-30 on the highway. It isn't a civic or prius, but it does get decent gas mileage for what it is.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM

Sometimes I struggle to think that I'm going to buy a more expensive car (CTS-V) and already have a list of parts I have to replace. While the the GTO I can purchase for 2-3k cheaper for a very good one with 20k - 30k less miles then CTS-V I'll buy has. I know two different cars but it's something I that keeps coming up as I'm thinking this out.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

I was on the fence between the GTO and the V for quite a while before finally settling on the V. After seeing GTO's day after day, I realized they are more common than I thought and the more I saw, the uglier they became to me. I realize where you're coming from on the cheaper/less mileage/ yadda yadda, but when it came down to it the V will make just as much power, has better and more aggressive looks, I love the V interior and they just aren't that common of a car.

Plus, who want's to drive a Pontiac when you can have a Cadillac....

Don't take that last line seriously, but in all seriousness the V wins in all scenarios for me.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmonttt
^^ That's crazy cheap for full coverage! I'm only 21, with one reckless driving ticket and I pay about $80 a month for full coverage which isn't bad to me.

I also get decent gas mileage in the V, 17.5 around the town and 28-30 on the highway. It isn't a civic or prius, but it does get decent gas mileage for what it is.
Not to start a gas mileage thread - but that is about 5 more than most anybody else reports. Unless you're talking a constant 55mph in a straight line. Any secrets?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

I traded mine for a C6 Corvette that I had for almost three years. I was getting sick of having to wave to all the other Vettes I would see while out driving around town. I haven't had to wave at one V owner in the three months that I've had it. You just don't see em, and I love that about them. My brother in law has an 05 GTO....it's ok, but IMO the body styles aren't even close. Look hard at a V, then look at a GTO. I really think they missed completely on that body style. I would look at a G8 before a GTO. A good friend of mine has an 06 G8. I like that car much more than the GTO, but still not as much as the V. And my V would eat both of those cars alive.....I have a few mods though so it wouldn't be fair.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 PM

I won't lie I completely agree about the looks. Frankly I love the Cadillacs speed, looks, overal persona that comes with it. But the reason I was getting away from my Civic was because I wanted the raw power of the a V8, I wanted to hear the roar, and have a fun torquey DD (not that CTS-V doesn't have this ). As I'm getting farther and farther into my research I'm getting away from those roots and the last thing I want to get myself into is a car similar of my civic where I'm wondering all the time... what will happen if I jump on the pedal right now. Number of repairs and repair bills seem higher as I'm learning more about these Cadillacs compared to the cheap GTO straight muslce no glamour counterpart.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

The major stuff on the V like the trans and motor are proven and solid, the repair parts to bring it up to snuff will cost you less than $1000. Gen 4 diffs are solid enough, I beat the crap out of mine for a long time. If you can wrench on the car yourself it's not that expensive. These things are becoming rare, I haven't seen another V1 in over six months. People see them and for the most don't think anything of them, until you run into someone who actually knows what it is. My bodywork is hurting and people are still impressed by this car when they see it.

Quick Reply: Need some info on CTS-V