Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need some info on CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info on CTS-V

I've very interested in an 06 - 07 CTS-V. I know they have the later versions of the differentials but from what I read they still have problems. I hear about the obvious problems like differential, motor mounts, ect and I'm just a little worried about buying one of these vehicles out of factory warranty.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. Overall they are great. You will need to put new motor mounts in at some point in time, but that is really not too bad. The differentials can be weak, but drive reasonably on them and you can still have a good time and not break the diff. I don't know that i have read about a late model diff breaking yet. The main thing is to be mindful of wheel-hop, if it starts to happen let off, don't drive through it.

If you want a car to drag race look somewhere else, it is a great car once it is rolling, but hard launches are not really good with the car.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

I can't begin to repeat all the pros and cons that people will mention. Many of the 04/05's have upgraded rear ends due to warranty replacement, but under normal dirving this shouldn't be a major concern. Do some reading, visit multiple forums and they sell aftermarket warranties if wrenching on one is out of your comfort zone. Ultimately, decide what you're going to DO with it.

Most people will agree that the V is NOT a good choice as a "drag car" without extensive aftermarket products to beef up the rear end/bushings/axles. The NAV and audio systems leave something to be desired, the interiors hold up really well and it does make an excellent sedan with loads of fun with spirited 2-3-4 gear bursts and gives you the comfort of a Caddy.

There are lots of other people that have asked the same question:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ing-buy-v.html

Last edited by pimpin_one; 09-29-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobkinz
I've very interested in an 06 - 07 CTS-V. I know they have the later versions of the differentials but from what I read they still have problems. I hear about the obvious problems like differential, motor mounts, ect and I'm just a little worried about buying one of these vehicles out of factory warranty.
The V1 is a modders wet dream.

However, they break and are expensive (this is relative) to fix.

What do you plan on doing?

If you are gonna play romp um stomp um, don't bitch about breaking it knowing that the diff is made out of silly putty.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i am made out of silly putty
Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cadi is a nice middle ground between American muscle and Bavarian refinement. In order to have that middle ground, however, you get some negatives from both ends. If you're looking for a *****-out drag car, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a comfortable and capable cruiser with enough power to get into trouble with, but don't necessarily need the best quarter mile or 60', then give the Cadi a try.

For what it's worth there's 102k miles on my orig diff right now, with the orig bushing being totally junk for at least 50-60k of that.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:43 PM

I am absolutely not against turning a wrench as I've built my Civic Si to roughly 310 whp on T3/T4 at 11 PSI. But I've moved into an apartment so for the time being I'm away from my tools and frankly a good place to work on my car. So for a few years I plan to drive this new (to me) car and just looking for something fun that won't give me to many problems as I focus on my full time work and full time school. I've had my civic for years and I'm no where near abusive to my vehicles just want something fun that I can do some occasional highway pulls. I've really narrowed it down to C5 Z06, 05 or 06 GTO, and an 06 or 07 CTS-V. By a good amount the CTS-V has my interest but the fact these cars depend so much on how the previous owner drove them scares me about pulling the trigger.

Last edited by Hobkinz; 09-29-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

FYI mines for sale. Diff replaced about a year ago under warranty. properly broken in. Never tracked. No issues. Just saying.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 PM

How well do these cars react to high mileage ? If I buy one of thee ill likely be putting 15k miles a year on mine. If I buy at 70k miles it won't be long till I'm 100k .. 120k miles
Old 10-01-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

I'm up to 130k miles with Heads, Cam, Full exhaust, stock diff, stock MM, yadda yadda and it runs like a champ. I haven't had any issues over the past 30k miles and a lot of them have been hard miles. I beat on the car occasionally, yet I've never had any of the common issues besides the leaking radiator! Don't let the mileage scare you away from one of these!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I drive mine hard all day-everyday and run 50 or more bottle though it! Other then waiting for my rear end to pop the car runs flawless with no issues! I was going to sell and get a 2010, but I like the car so much I'm going to keep it and try to own both. I have put about 40k miles on it myself.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 06 with 93k miles on it, all stock drivetrain and it runs great. motor mounts are good, shifter is nice, clutch is perfect.

Don't generalize them based on the forum postings of people with problems, that's just something I've noticed.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 AM
TECH Resident

Mileage is not an issue with the motor or trans. I've got a 101K on mine and they run strong, granted I did a top end refresh about 2K ago but that was just because I had a broken header bolt and was slightly bored.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

If the car is stock and you plan to drive it as much as you say, then expect to have to replace the radiator, pulley, motor mounts, trams mount and rear diff bushing. Since you're an experienced wrench, those aren't big jobs (except maybe the pulley).

Alternatively, you can buy a used one where the PO has addressed all these problems. That's what I'd do if I were to it over.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Alternatively, you can buy a used one where the PO has addressed all these problems. That's what I'd do if I were to it over.
This.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Right I would imagine if I'm buying one near 60k miles most of those problems would have ready arose and likely the factory warranty has addressed them ?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really. That's about the time when warranties expire. Clutch prob won't be replaced at that mileage, motor mounts will probably be stock and nearing their second 30k mile change mark, however the rear ends could be updated.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm have a 2004 V with 65k miles and love everything about it. I read a lot of issues with the diff but honestly have never had an issue with it, I've never even experienced any kind of significant wheel hop everyone talks about, but I never launch the car. Stick to rolling starts and you'll be fine!

All of the upgrades like motor mounts are easy do it yourself fixes, all you need is a buddies driveway for an afternoon for most of them (I lived in an apartment for the first two years I had this car). I was worried about warranty for about 10 minutes after I bought the car then I realized that everything on this car can be fixed an upgraded with a few wrenchs. In the four years I've had the car I've been to the dealer once. They charged me $1,500 for a new radiator that the seals went out on and I'll never be back to them again! Could have fixed it myself for $300...

You'll love the cross between comfort, style and aggressive attitude!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hobkinz
Right I would imagine if I'm buying one near 60k miles most of those problems would have ready arose and likely the factory warranty has addressed them ?
The problem is that all of those parts are total crap if replaced with OEM. If repalced with OEM, they are doomed to failure, basically. It's not toally bad. My car got 6 years out of its OEM rad-- when it came time to replace, I decided to replace with OEM because I belive $200 for 6 years or radiating is a good deal. On the other hand, I replaced my pulley with the best available because the wobble on the OEM was making me nervois, and I didn't want to ever have to worry about the engine that way.

If you are looking for a boss car that will serve you well, neversatistifed is selling at 04 with basically perfect mods. Besides the mods we're talking about, he also has an 8.8 rear diff that will basically make the car bulletproof.

Don't fear the mods on these cars, The limited aftermarket means people have far less latitude to screw them up like ricers or (dare i say) f-bodies (admit it, it happens occasionally).
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
The differentials can be weak, but drive reasonably on them and you can still have a good time and not break the diff. I don't know that i have read about a late model diff breaking yet. The main thing is to be mindful of wheel-hop, if it starts to happen let off, don't drive through it.

This.... I have a 2007 that I am torn between selling or modding the hell out of. I've never heard of 2006-2007 rearend breaking, though I don't really troll these forums much. Truthfully they are great cars

Quick Reply: Need some info on CTS-V