Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Blargh! What is that?! Coffee?

I think you might need new piston rings.
talking out of your *** yet again hahaha
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
talking out of your *** yet again hahaha
If you have a better idea, try stating it instead of operating under your "all s**t no substance" (roughly paraphrased) modus operandi.

The purpose of a PCV return line is to route [airborne] blow-by contaminants back into the combustion chamber so that they doesn't settle into the oil. I assume (and this may be where I'm wrong) that the molecularized oil that gets pulled through the line along with those byproducts mixes with a percentage of them and that mix gets trapped within the catch can.

Sd parts has the Norris catch cheaper then the mike norris site. picekd one up a year or so ago. works much better then the Home depot **** i had on it before and looks bad ***

holy ****... looks like you got a coolant leak. looks expensive
Those are surplus first generation Mike Norris catch cans. By the way, the contents of that cup are definitely more than 1/4 NOT oil. Is it possible to get coolant in the catch can without cracking the engine block?

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 10-08-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone17
This was after 6 month results on my 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 with 426 hemi and Procharger.

Looks like somebody has a blown head gasket, or even worse a cracked block...unless they fill the car with chocolate milk.

Elite Engineering catch can here.....DO IT.
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation - this is simply to relieve the vapor pressure of any oil and blowby in the crank case so it does not push out through the valve covers / oil pan (and any other low pressure oil seal).

Routing it back into the intake is an evaporative emissions requirement - like having a fuel tank cap that seals (IE the CEL lights up the the cap is not on tight).

All you are doing is taking aerosolized or gaseous hydrocarbons (and a small amount of spent exhaust gases) and routing it back into your intake.

On an N/A vehicle, won't hurt it.

Force fed vehicles with a CAC - will hurt performance as you coat the inside of the heat exchanger, reducing the heat transfer capabilities.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
Looks like somebody has a blown head gasket, or even worse a cracked block...unless they fill the car with chocolate milk.

Elite Engineering catch can here.....DO IT.
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/
Consensation mixing with the oil.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

relax fuzzy nuts its internet banter

I have never seen that much blow by oil contamination from just normal condensation. i would guess one of the gaskets is weeping in high load situations. at least that's what happened to my friends 1.8t.. what makes you say its just condensation?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
Nice! Where'd you score that? BP's site is not taking orders.
Found it used in the classifieds.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

A www.gzmotorsports vacuum pump kit will solve your problems
Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Condensed milk maybe.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sd parts has the Norris catch cheaper then the mike norris site. picekd one up a year or so ago. works much better then the Home depot **** i had on it before and looks bad ***

http://sdparts.com/taxonomy/term/11153/all

Well, I've decided to go with catch can rather than PCV delete. Does anyone know the differnce between the first and second gen Mike Norris catch cans? Also, do you know if the hardware that comes with them is sufficient to fit up to the LS2 passenger side head?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Well, I've decided to go with catch can rather than PCV delete. Does anyone know the differnce between the first and second gen Mike Norris catch cans? Also, do you know if the hardware that comes with them is sufficient to fit up to the LS2 passenger side head?
Give them a call--the guy was very helpful. I think he might have more than one kind of bracket.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DACTARI
i have some experience making solutions in the area happy to help via pm if you like. i do not recommend mounting the can to the cyl head.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

YES
Don't forget he said six months, plenty of time to get the oil milky. Especially if he makes short runs and doesn't give the car enough time to burn of all the condensation.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

How I ran my catch can. [IMG][/IMG]

That pictures really shows how the salt and chemicals of upstate NY winter roads ***** with your car.

Any way, Mike Norris catch can and I drilled and tapped for an extra brab fitting below the original, then just capped off the TB port. So both the valley and valve cover are going to the catch can before routing back into the manifold.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

There's an easy fix for that engine bay crud. Meguiar's sells a good long handled, soft-bristled brush. Autozone/Advanced Auto both sell cans of self-emulsifying engine degreaser. Buy one of each. Then spray down the engine bay, wait 10 minutes, scrub for 2-5 minutes, and rinse. Enjoy your squeaky clean engine bay.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Going to have to give that a try, Fuzzy. Never had any issues with it getting inside a connector and causing issues?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tmonttt
Going to have to give that a try, Fuzzy. Never had any issues with it getting inside a connector and causing issues?
No issues on my end. They say not to spray it on electrical equipment, but I've soaked electrical equipment (coil packs, the battery, the alternator) with that stuff and I don't have any sort of corrosion or degradation. Maybe it's because I rinse everything off well.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i have some experience making solutions in the area happy to help via pm if you like. i do not recommend mounting the can to the cyl head.
Hey, gonna PM you now. I wasn't ready to buy before, didn't want to waste your time.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

been on vacation and waiting on parts, some gears turning again now finally, 6 shipping tomorrow!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
been on vacation and waiting on parts, some gears turning again now finally, 6 shipping tomorrow!
Could you PM me a price and pictures of the catch can setup?

Quick Reply: Catch Can