Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Reason for Concern 80k Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reason for Concern 80k Miles?

I'm planning on buying an 06 or 07 CTS-V. Hopefully for my budget I'll be able to find one less then 80,000 miles but if not what should I be concerned with buying one of these at this stage of use? There will be likely more then one owner at this point so poor maintenance and drive abuse will be significantly higher chance.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Teching In

look for broken motor mounts ,rear end clunk from carrier bushings, look at radiator for leaks, and last but not least shift into every gear the clutch only last about 90k miles.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Motor and trans hold up pretty well in these cars. You will probably need to get new aftermarket trans/motor mounts, as well as a new diff bushing. A large percentage of the guys on the forum are well over a 100k on original motor and transmissions. Shifting is sloppy on these things in stock form, if you have trouble getting into 1st or reverse you probably need a new trans mount and shifter bushings. Mounts and bushings are not that big of a deal on these things, if you're a decent wrench you should have no issue knocking it out over a weekend. Most of us swap out the clutch for a single mass flywheel combo because the stock dual mass is a pos. Great car to have though, fun to drive and reliable if you take care of it.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Mounts and such. I recommend finding one that still has the GM warranty. GM warranty is one of the best warranties I've ever used.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by gsx-lex
Mounts and such. I recommend finding one that still has the GM warranty. GM warranty is one of the best warranties I've ever used.
Dont think I'll find one with factory GM warranty as the car is 6+ years old. But if your talking about added warranty or something I'm not sure. I'm expecting it to have no such thing even though it would be nice.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hobkinz
Dont think I'll find one with factory GM warranty as the car is 6+ years old. But if your talking about added warranty or something I'm not sure. I'm expecting it to have no such thing even though it would be nice.
I bought my '04 used this past January and it had the remainder of a GM Major Guard Extended Warranty through 11/2012. Good thing too, as I've used it to replace the Radiator, Rear Diff Bushing, multiple parts in the transmission(Had issues engaging 6th gear), and a Steering Wheel Position Sensor. $50 deductible x 2 Visits = $100. Car is in pretty damn nice shape now!

My car now has 30,700 miles on it and the Dealership I use said they'd sell me another extended warranty when my current one expires next month.(Depends on price though)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

Lucky you guys, everytime I took something to gm for warranty work the service was apauling. Across 3 states and multiple dealers it was bad. I got my car back missing my whole washer heater module, when I took it in because my sending unit was broken.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock harmonic balancer will need replacing too at around 80K, especially on the LS2.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Check the paint around the bolts on the hood and hood latch. Make sure it's not cracked or spider webbing. You can tell if they have been pulled, if so then it's been in a wreck. Also check bolts that hold your fenders on.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hobkinz
Of course you can! GM offers an extended warranty that is an extension of the OEM warranty. My 2007 (for sale ) comes with the OEM extended warranty. The perk of buying a car that is still under the extended warranty is that you can extended it further if you want.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM

sounds like lots of $$$
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

I guess it depends on what has been done by the previous owners. I have 86k on mine but I have done everything except rear end mods. The car still feels like a new car and I can feel the Cadillac quality when comparing it to average cars feel, ride and noise levels.

Quick Reply: Reason for Concern 80k Miles?