Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

DIY Ford 8.8 into V1 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Gulf's Diff is rebuilt. We finished it up last night.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

I know this thread has appeared to loose momentum, but we have been swamped and then we both like to have some downtime, but things are finally starting to come together.

Black Powdercoated 8.8 is in it's newly painted cradle......

Sooooooo, any thoughts on running a 1350 traditional yoke on the differential side and then having your stock driveshaft cut and rewelded with the appropriate driveshaft yoke. Driveshaft tube may not be big enough, but I am about to find out.

The carrier bearing will probably be the weak point, but it would be a good alternative, while you saved money to BUY one of the big shafts.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 54inches
I know this thread has appeared to loose momentum, but we have been swamped and then we both like to have some downtime, but things are finally starting to come together.

Black Powdercoated 8.8 is in it's newly painted cradle......

Sooooooo, any thoughts on running a 1350 traditional yoke on the differential side and then having your stock driveshaft cut and rewelded with the appropriate driveshaft yoke. Driveshaft tube may not be big enough, but I am about to find out.

The carrier bearing will probably be the weak point, but it would be a good alternative, while you saved money to BUY one of the big shafts.
eh, i wouldnt. ur better off using an adapter and leaving the stock ds alone, than cutting and welding + rebalance and all that. id either use the stocker or spring for the DSS
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
eh, i wouldnt. ur better off using an adapter and leaving the stock ds alone, than cutting and welding + rebalance and all that. id either use the stocker or spring for the DSS
Thanks bud!

I know it is not ideal for SOME, but I have cut and welded, and not rebalanced, several driveshafts, without any vibes, and they were for a permanent application.

I will eventually get a better BUILT driveshaft, but it is an option and I know we can do it properly.

AGAIN, it's another option for those that don't want to drop $5000 at once for the whole shebang!

Please continue with your opinions, as we appreciate them.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks bud!

shebang!
Huh, always thought that was spelled with an A. Sounds like how I would label a potential pick up at the bar...

"Hey you see her over there?"

"ya"

"Shebang. Shebang good!"

So have you installed the diff in it's permanent mounting location and then installed the stock shaft to see the measurement difference? What I'm getting at is the stock drive shaft too long? or too short? Short in my opinion would be much easier, as like punishmentcycle said putting an adapter would be easier. But an adapter would require a gap. If the shaft is too long and cutting and rewelding were in order then I would still cut the shaft short enough that either 1. Use the cobra flange and adapt it to the stock shaft with a universal and yoke. 2. Re weld in the CV and still have an adapter to mate to the cobra flange. Me personally, cutting and simply adapting the yoke sounds much easier since at that point the shaft is worthless to any other V owner anyway.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Permanent is a relative term. Yes and no.

Yes, as we think it is where it needs to be, but No as we have not done any testing as we are waiting on shafts.

We think the DS is Too long IIRC.

All very valid points!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We took an order for a 2 piece driveshaft for an 8.8 swap the other day.
Should work out nice.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Got the mounting plates aesthetically cleaned up and new brackets ready for the final iteration before I start having them laser/water-jetted.

It appears that the drivers side axle length with the appropriate inner stub shaft can be used. Basically, we got an inner stub, see above, disassembled a G-force axle(cant remember, which stock side, may be drivers (GULF?)) and it will bolt to the 8.8 inner. We will see in testing.

Amazingly enough, the stock 2 piece driveshaft out my 1985 Suburban almost fits our V.

It has a much beefier carrier bearing and is very close to mounting up. Of course, all of your yokes would need to be changed to 1350s with traditional yokes.

Anyways, dreams of interchangement.

New fuel system planned and waiting on parts.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gforce Engineering
We took an order for a 2 piece driveshaft for an 8.8 swap the other day.
Should work out nice.
Oh Hey, thanks for chiming in!

Can you respline one of your own axles for us?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 PM
FormerVendor

Oh Hey, thanks for chiming in!

Can you respline one of your own axles for us?
We are working with a gentleman, not sure if he is on here but one of our off the shelf axles might work for this swap. I'll know more once he gets back to me on some measurements.

We can respline axles as long as there is material there that is the same diameter as the splined end.
I would be interested in making axle bar sets to do this swap if anyone is interested.
Or entire stub to stub axle kits.

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gforce Engineering
We are working with a gentleman, not sure if he is on here but one of our off the shelf axles might work for this swap. I'll know more once he gets back to me on some measurements.

Thanks
Chris

That would be me.
I put the diff back in the cradle and I'm pretty sure the off the shelf axle we emailed about will work its just going to be really close. I'll email you tomorrow and we will decide on the off the shelf or resplining my existing axle.

Nothing really new, but pictures are always fun.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Where's the feedback guys? lol

The ***** red looks good.

I was going to do mine protestant pink, but I think the red looks better.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Feedback? Well, every time I see this thread updated, I check it first. I'm blown away by how you guys are doing this and wish I had the mechanical
skills. How far are you guys from a kit and any estimate on what it would cost, and what the total cost would be to us? Obviously, the CS 8.8 kit is te comparator.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, looks good. Wish My cradle was that clean. And Shiny!

Also, Gulf, you're never going to have a better time to put in some rev-shift cradle bushings!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Just the two guys, I was hoping would respond.

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Feedback? Well, every time I see this thread updated, I check it first. I'm blown away by how you guys are doing this and wish I had the mechanical
skills. How far are you guys from a kit and any estimate on what it would cost, and what the total cost would be to us? Obviously, the CS 8.8 kit is the comparator.
Thanks bud! You would not believe all of the text messages, trips to the shop, online R&D, questions with vendors here, etc that goes into something like this. I have actually done something like this before, so I know what it takes, but it was on another vehicle platform and the lack of interest, made me back out. It was not cost effective; read, I would not break even EVER.

We are probably another 6 months from a kit; that is all I can discuss as I am not a vendor and I respect this site, these vendors and Creative Steele enough not to go any further than that.

With that said, for you $10,000.

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

Also, Gulf, you're never going to have a better time to put in some rev-shift cradle bushings!
It seems like I always speak for him; he is a quiet guy.

He really did a good job on painting his cradle. The pics dont do it justice.

No bushings right now, but I am trying to convince him.

Besides the one installed in Gulf's car, I have the final mounting plate in the back of the V needing some massaging before it is sent to be finalized in CAD.

It is the only part that is in its final stages as we need to get all of the other parts installed, CALLING G-Force!!!!!!, and do some R&D testing and then some Texas Milesqe pulls.

More to come!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Feedback? Well, every time I see this thread updated, I check it first.
x2. I'm following along, things look good.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

I had the cradle sand blasted and painted, my car was originally from Chicago so there's a fair amount of rust under it. Whenever I take a piece off I have it blasted and painted.

I'm going to hold off on the rev-shift cradle bushings and let other guys do some longevity testing on them. Its no big deal to drop the cradle when/if I do decide to install them, with a 2 post lift the rear cradle comes out in an hour or so. Plus, I have the BMR wheel hop kit (minus the front bar) and the axles i'm using (mostly GForce parts) will still be large and small diameters to minimize wheel hop. Previously I had 0 wheel hop and the back end always felt planted.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

The only thing I would recommend to you guys is to make sure that the laser cutting is done with a non-oxidizing shielding gas, like nitrogen. This will help powdercoat adhesion on the edges.

Sorry if that's a no-brainer for you guys, it's something I deal with time to time in my profession.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DougNuts
The only thing I would recommend to you guys is to make sure that the laser cutting is done with a non-oxidizing shielding gas, like nitrogen. This will help powdercoat adhesion on the edges.

Sorry if that's a no-brainer for you guys, it's something I deal with time to time in my profession.
I would kiss you on the mouth if nobody would talk!

I had no idea! It may be water-jet, but still, thanks a ton for the heads up bud!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Didn't get much done over the weekend, bought a new house on Saturday & took the boat out on Sunday. But, I finally had time to assemble the axles after work today. Disassembling the CV joint, cleaning out the old grease and re-assembling takes FOREVER! The smaller OD axle is the one I was able to use from my existing 1000hp axles, the larger is an axle G-Force stocks for a 5th gen Camaro. The CV's & boots are porche 930CV's (plunging type) again reused from my 1000hp axles. The 8.8 inner flanges are from DSS.

Right now I'm using zip ties for the boots, just in case for whatever reason I have to disassemble the CV joints again. I have oetiker clamps & pliers on hand for final assembly.

Also, got a notice from FedEx G-Force has shipped a package, this is the transmission to U joint adapter. Which should be the final piece of the puzzle.

Over the course of this project I had a big case of the "while I'm at it, I may as well....." so there is some wiring and other small stuff to finish up but I'm estimating the car will be back on the road in the next two weeks.... 54, lets plan a V drag meet get together and test this sucker out with the BFG's.

Quick Reply: DIY Ford 8.8 into V1 Build thread