Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

DIY Ford 8.8 into V1 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with the project guys.. You make it look so easy..
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was checking out some parts in the shop and saw a C4 diff. They are beefy and have universal joints on the inside instead of CV joints. I have one sitting here. Thoughts?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
I was checking out some parts in the shop and saw a C4 diff. They are beefy and have universal joints on the inside instead of CV joints. I have one sitting here. Thoughts?
well stkshkr did a one off project with a C3 Diff:
anything is possible if you wanna start adding to the subframe like he did
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...iff-setup.html
Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any idea how much DS charges to make the axles? What kind of cv and axle setup are you thinking about?

Great job on this project. Way better then I am at fab...

Originally Posted by GulfM3
The front mount was actually more difficult to build than I expected, I didn't have a good way to bend the metal around such a tight radius. With a bench vise, a long cheater pipe, some cursing and a BFH I came up with something that is passable. I'm still going back through everything and will clean up the rough edges where I used a torch or plasma cutter.

Then I took the old diff and axles out and reassembled the suspension, once I get my CV pinion flange in I'll install the 8.8 diff and measure for the drive shaft and axles.

Depending on how long it takes for the DS and axles to be made, I'm hoping to have it done just in time for the drag strip to open back up mid January.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chitown21y
Any idea how much DS charges to make the axles? What kind of cv and axle setup are you thinking about?

Great job on this project. Way better then I am at fab...
For axles I'm not sure what path I will take, I would like to reuse portions of my G-Force 1000hp axles, but the more I think about it I don't know what pieces will transfer over and I think I'll be better off buying new complete axles from the DS shop and selling my current axles. I'm estimating around 1600 for the full axles from DS shop. The one piece CF shaft should be around 1500.

I added up all the parts for my diff and I'm at $480 for gears, Trac loc, rebuild kit and new pinion flange. I got the case for "free" from Stone17, told him I would make a set of brackets if he ever wants to do the swap.

All in all I should come in around 3700, that doesn't seem like much savings but the DS and Axles I'm getting will be better than the pieces included in the CS kit.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the critical speed on that carbon fiber driveshaft? Also, what does it weigh? That right there can be a huge differentiating factor between your kit and the Creative Steel bundle.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

CS drive shaft is actually lighter than the stocker. But I thought that the CS kit came with stage 4 axles. Am I wrong?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Could you have either the inner part of the CV axle shaft re-splined? I called Moser and to re-spline the axles is cheap and they can cut the snap ring groove. I mean for a truly budget build maybe you could do that.

Also for bending the front part, could you heat it up? Get it cherry red and bend it easily.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
What's the critical speed on that carbon fiber driveshaft? Also, what does it weigh? That right there can be a huge differentiating factor between your kit and the Creative Steel bundle.
DS shop claims 250mph with the one piece carbon. I assume that's with the stock 3.73 V gears, since it's sold as a CTS-V driveshaft.

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
CS drive shaft is actually lighter than the stocker. But I thought that the CS kit came with stage 4 axles. Am I wrong?
I don't know what "stage" the CS kit comes with, but the base kit only comes with inner 31 spline CV's and axle shaft, you use your stock outer CV's. Chromoly outer CV's are a $375 add on.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the complete axle.. Spend once break never is my philosophy with this car. By the way how'd u make out with the twins? Have u turned the boost up any? And newer numbers from ur set up?

I was thinking of running twin 35r's next year
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm getting will be better than the pieces included in the CS kit.
how so? i have DSS claimed "1000hp" axles 4340 Outer CV's and their 2 piece drive shaft. i paid about the same for the partial cs kit + sourcing my own diff, including fluids/csdiffcover/gears/newcobrapinionflange/prothanebushing/ect.. all in all i spent ~$3500ish..

not trying to make this a pissing contest, just sayin that the DSS driveline components are the real cost here. gotta pay to play
Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
good luck with the project guys.. You make it look so easy..
Thanks, it's been fun.

Next project.

Could you have either the inner part of the CV axle shaft re-splined? I called Moser and to re-spline the axles is cheap and they can cut the snap ring groove. I mean for a truly budget build maybe you could do that.

Also for bending the front part, could you heat it up? Get it cherry red and bend it easily.
Yep, I think you could respline as well, but if you don't have the length/girth to do so, then your axles just doesn't have what it takes.

how so? i have DSS claimed "1000hp" axles 4340 Outer CV's and their 2 piece drive shaft. i paid about the same for the partial cs kit + sourcing my own diff, including fluids/csdiffcover/gears/newcobrapinionflange/prothanebushing/ect.. all in all i spent ~$3500ish..

not trying to make this a pissing contest, just sayin that the DSS driveline components are the real cost here. gotta pay to play
I think he already covered it, but the driveshaft is a far superior piece then what you have.

To be honest, and since YOU brought it up, I like building my own stuff and would rather not buy from certain vendors. Nothing against any vendors here as I think we have some great ones, just a personal preference.

IF you don't want to go our route, then no worries, but now you have ANOTHER option.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
I have the complete axle.. Spend once break never is my philosophy with this car. By the way how'd u make out with the twins? Have u turned the boost up any? And newer numbers from ur set up?

I was thinking of running twin 35r's next year
Twins are still running great, I took the car out to the texas mile this past October and hit 176.5. Car performed flawlessly. That was around 11psi. I haven't turned the boost up any more because I'm out of fuel. I'm watching the other thread discussing the swap of a V2 fuel module and controller like a hawk!

I guess the only difference between our final setup will be the 1pc carbon shaft and I'm running an aluminum case.

When I made my statement above I was referring to the CS kit with the aluminum case for 3995, plus the outer CV's for 375, total $4370. I'll be all in at 3700 with a CF driveshaft.
I totally agree DSS is where the money is at, if someone is interested in making an adapter from the 8.8 pinion to a stock V driveshaft and crawl through the salvage yard for several stock half shafts you could drop the prices significantly! I think 54inches is going to be working on this option, reusing stock components.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

54, agreed more options the better!! If i had the skills to do it, i would rather fab up the brackets.

I understand the lighter the DS the better but wont a 1 piece add some harmonics and vibs?? haha well my 2 piece does have vibs in certain spots but they are not common combinations, gear--rpm..

When I made my statement above I was referring to the CS kit with the aluminum case for 3995, plus the outer CV's for 375, total $4370. I'll be all in at 3700 with a CF driveshaft.
I totally agree DSS is where the money is at, if someone is interested in making an adapter from the 8.8 pinion to a stock V driveshaft and crawl through the salvage yard for several stock half shafts you could drop the prices significantly! I think 54inches is going to be working on this option, reusing stock components.
oh gotchya.. yea the CS prices for the full kit are high imo. You guys are killing it great thread. cant wait to see what your TTv1 will do with the 8.8
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Twins are still running great, I took the car out to the texas mile this past October and hit 176.5. Car performed flawlessly. That was around 11psi. I haven't turned the boost up any more because I'm out of fuel. I'm watching the other thread discussing the swap of a V2 fuel module and controller like a hawk!

I guess the only difference between our final setup will be the 1pc carbon shaft and I'm running an aluminum case.

The thing about Gluf's car is at idle it sounds very tame. I actually think my stock car with exhaust sounds more aggressive; not a dig as his car is awesome.

He has built a real sleeper as the car is clean as **** and is very unassuming looking.

Gulf is right, that is exactly what I plan on doing; building an adapter for the DS so you can use a stock DS.

The axles qare a different story; either resplined or some type of hybrid or DSS.

54, agreed more options the better!! If i had the skills to do it, i would rather fab up the brackets.

I understand the lighter the DS the better but wont a 1 piece add some harmonics and vibs?? haha well my 2 piece does have vibs in certain spots but they are not common combinations, gear--rpm..

oh gotchya.. yea the CS prices for the full kit are high imo. You guys are killing it great thread. cant wait to see what your TTv1 will do with the 8.8
A 1 piece driveshaft is a better option; 2 piece can cause more vibrations due to the amount of connections.(your thought process is backwards here. )

I hope Gulf and I can get together and build a few more after his is done, so we can ALL do testing.

THANKS!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 54inches
I hope Gulf and I can get together and build a few more after his is done, so we can ALL do testing.

THANKS!!!!
Now that you called my car quiet and lame, make your own dam brackets!
LOL, seriously, I'll be in town most of the holidays and should be able to get you a set thrown together. Find some plate, I don't think I have enough on hand to make a second bracket.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=GulfM3;16987916]Twins are still running great, I took the car out to the texas mile this past October and hit 176.5. Car performed flawlessly. That was around 11psi. I haven't turned the boost up any more because I'm out of fuel. I'm watching the other thread discussing the swap of a V2 fuel module and controller like a hawk!

lmk on that swap..just got all my nitrous stuff ( NOS 90mm maggie kit,standalone,etc) should hold me over for this season but twins are looking like the next adventure for me.. twin 35r's in the neighborhood of 750-800whp reliably.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Now that you called my car quiet and lame, make your own dam brackets!
LOL, seriously, I'll be in town most of the holidays and should be able to get you a set thrown together. Find some plate, I don't think I have enough on hand to make a second bracket.

DAMN!!!!!

Seriously, it's not quiet at all, or lame!!!!!

I hope to get the plate this week; how you looking on that round bar? I think I am going to try and pick some of that up as well.

I plan on getting enough to make at least mine and Glen's and hopefully a few more, so we can keep them on hand for future plans.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 54inches
I plan on getting enough to make at least mine and Glenn's and hopefully a few more, so we can keep them on hand for future plans.
I get one.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Is that Al diff for me or is the iron one for me?

I want to use the Iron one for a permanent fixture in the Sub-frame, if that is OK?

I assumed you wanted the Al housing. If not, I will take it.

I am going to pick all of them up and blast them in my media cabinet at the house and probably primer paint/POR-15 them.

Just depends what you want.

Quick Reply: DIY Ford 8.8 into V1 Build thread