Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS2 Pulley Squeak -- Need help determining which accessory (video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same issue...typically did it when it was cold or after a cold rain. I put WD40 on the pulley tensioner arm. Sounds retarded but it worked right away for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spin2nd
Circling back since I hate finding unresolved threads when researching issues...

I replaced the alternator this weekend (from the top, with a 15mm socket and a lot of patience) and that seems to have been the main source of my issue. The last few days before I swapped it I started to notice a slight burning smell after I'd hop out of the car following a long drive. I started watching the voltage and while still adequate to keep the battery charged, was completely unstable. It would jump from 14.6 to 13 back to 14 etc so i figured something was up. Once I got the old unit out you could tell the bearings were shot at a minimum...no telling what else was wrong in there.

That being said, now I notice a much quieter sqeak from the A/C side of the motor...I dunno if its the belt or something else. I guess the really noisy alternator covered this sound up so I'll tackle it in a week or two when i have a free weekend.

My car was a CPO car and one of the service advisers kept going overboard when fixing issues on it before the warranty went out (I sure wasn't going to stop him). The A/C unit/belt and main tensioner are now the only accessory pieces with more than 12k miles on the front of the motor so I'm thinking one of those has to be what I'm hearing. I've been watching the factory balancer for wobble and it 'could' be suspect but it's only 6 or 7k miles old and doesn't appear to be separating so I doubt that's it...
Since the main source of the problem was the bearing in the Alternator,
you might want to consider a Good Year Serpentine belt.
These belts are lighter, thinner, and more flexible. Therefore, they generate less heat into the pulleys --->bearings.
And yes, if you squirt WD40 on the belt/tensioner and the sqeak stops,
then the belt/tesioner is "on the way out"
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Gentlemen - I recently purchased an '06 V with around 42k miles on it. I'm experiencing the exact same issues as far as squealing/noise goes as discussed in this forum. It's typically nonexistent at lower RPMs/temp, but becomes much more pronounced once the car warms up and/or higher RPM levels.

I'm wondering if you ever came to a final conclusion as to what may have been causing the noise? I've already hit the belt with some WD40 to see if it quieted any, so am assuming it's one of the pulleys at this point. Noise seems to be stemming from the water pump area, but still kind of shooting in the dark.

Any thoughts/input on how to proceed is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

WD40 / Belt dressing makes squeals worse. Check each pulley one by one but most importantly the harmonic balancer.

Originally Posted by DangeRusss
Gentlemen - I recently purchased an '06 V with around 42k miles on it. I'm experiencing the exact same issues as far as squealing/noise goes as discussed in this forum. It's typically nonexistent at lower RPMs/temp, but becomes much more pronounced once the car warms up and/or higher RPM levels.

I'm wondering if you ever came to a final conclusion as to what may have been causing the noise? I've already hit the belt with some WD40 to see if it quieted any, so am assuming it's one of the pulleys at this point. Noise seems to be stemming from the water pump area, but still kind of shooting in the dark.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Higher RPMs/temps points to the water pump. Usually belt squeal is at lower temps.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

The noise I videoed above was the Alternator. When I got it out you could tell it was shot just by turning it by hand. Now have a 2nd squeal/squeak that I'm hoping to be able to attack this weekend. I have to go to my parent's house to get the car on jackstands as all of my automotive toys are there. What I have now seems to be coming from the low end of the motor so I'm thinking the a/c tensioner/belt or worst case it is the harmonic balancer that's only 10k miles old.

I'll report back once I find it.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your crank bolt it torqued to spec. If it was installed at a dealership o joe shmo shop, they often forget the details.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Check your crank bolt it torqued to spec. If it was installed at a dealership o joe shmo shop, they often forget the details.
Dealer swapped it when it was in for warranty work right before the extended warranty expired...If I remember correctly it's supposed to be torqued to some crazy number, right? I want to make sure I have the proper tools to check it.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figured I'd revive an old thread to share my experience instead of create a new one.

Been battling with a belt squeak off and on for the past month and a half....

New Power Steering Pump (Spraying everywhere) - October
New Water Pump (Bearing went out) - November
Squeal starts, try screwdriver trick etc. can't find source. Pull off accessory belt and squeal stops.

New Idler Pulley - April
Swapped OEM Tensioner with a known working one - April
New accessory belt - April

Squeal goes away for a couple weeks, comes back. Pull belt again and stops...spin alternator by hand and it sounds like its making a small squeak at slow speeds. Plus voltage was a little sporadic.

New Alternator - Last Weekend
No Change, still squealing like a stuck hog...

Pull accessory belt off lastnight, start car up and still squeaking.
New Billet Tensioner - Lastnight

Today: Picked up an AC tensioner this morning to install tonight along with a new ATI balancer that I ordered earlier this week. I was going to wait until the weekend, but on my 65mile drive to work, I was about 2 miles out and let er eat in 2nd gear and it ate an entire rib off the belt....

At this point I'm thinking the harmonic balancer is the issue...I guess I'll find out when I get the new ATI and AC tensioner put in. The belt still has 4 ribs left, hoping I can limp it home tonight....Any insight on why it could've ate up the belt is appreciated.

A few pics for enjoyment.
Name:  20160526_102457_zpskfmwo6qp.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  265.9 KB
Name:  20160526_102448_zpsa1xnozql.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  279.2 KB
Name:  20160526_102442_zpsat2zwz1m.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  254.9 KB
Old 05-26-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy chit.i hope you get it. that sux about the hood liner.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Check your belt routing

Last edited by cammedv; 05-26-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cammedv
Check your belt routing ,
I suspect u have routed your belt incorrectly and have changed parts That were not bad
Ls6 and ls2 cts v belts run around accessories different
No they don't. All accessories are the same, including the tensioners and idlers.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RADEoN
No they don't. All accessories are the same, including the tensioners and idlers.
Accessories are same but its possible to run the belt incorrect causing to much tension which shreds belts
Old 05-26-2016, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

His harmonic balancer is coming off the crank. He's right to replace it. The balancer is now to the point that the inside of the belt is riding on the lip of the pulley.

You argued that the routing is different between the LS6 and LS2 cts-v. This isn't the truth.

The image is of an ls2.

Last edited by RADEoN; 05-26-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

His harmonic balancer is coming off the crank. He's right to replace it. The balancer is now to the point that the inside of the belt is riding on the lip of the pulley.
Could be that as well , but best to check the routing on the belt ,if it's run wrong it will do same thing
Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cammedv
Could be that as well , but best to check the routing on the belt ,if it's run wrong it will do same thing
Do you have eyes? You can see the belt is routed properly in his pictures. You would have to try extremely hard to **** that up.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Do you have eyes? You can see the belt is routed properly in his pictures. You would have to try extremely hard to **** that up.
Yea my bad on acessories differences they are the same , was thinking of something else.
A belt can be run wrong though and cause it worth a quick check but yea looking at the second pic belt is correct
Old 05-26-2016, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

That's fair input to make, as I had run the previous belt the wrong way temporarily....It quickly let me know as it burned against the alternator bolt...So yes, its very easy to do however, the belt was/is routed correctly.

Got the balancer off in a jiffy, however did not realize how deep the threads actually are in the crank. Can't get the pulley installer to thread in so I guess its off to the hardware store at 7am to grab a longer M16X2.0 bolt to pull the balancer in. Not the way I wanted to do it but looks like it will be the only way.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

just curious what pulley installer you got that is not long enough? i have the Hawk tool and that thing is great.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

I got the 33 piece puller/installer kit form advance.

Name:  20160527_091907_zpssahfjirx.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  416.1 KB

I picked up a piece of M16x2.0 all-thread this morning, couple washers, a nut, and the bearing thing that came with the pulley kit...screwed it into the crank and then tightened the nut down with the washers and it slid right in.

Name:  20160527_092034_zpss7lvozbe.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  478.0 KB

No more squeaks, and vibration around 2k is gone. Didn't really notice any performance gain with the 10% UD though. Voltage reading 13.9-14.2 when the car is running.

Name:  20160527_102430_zpszscvvxca.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  426.3 KB

Quick Reply: LS2 Pulley Squeak -- Need help determining which accessory (video)