Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS2 Pulley Squeak -- Need help determining which accessory (video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 Pulley Squeak -- Need help determining which accessory (video)

Hey, could use some help --

2006 CTS-V that has developed a nasty squeak from one of the accessories over the last two weeks. It does increase with RPM but I can't pinpoint which one it is. It seems to be on the side with the power steering, idler, or the alternator. I'm not ruling out the water pump or the crank but it seems louder towards the others.

Check out the video...is this a generic sound or does this lead you to believe it's one option over the others?

Thanks!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1Y4JFUutpEI?hd=1[/youtube]
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hard to tell from the video... Could use the screwdriver method and hold it to each accessory to narrow it down... An extension will work too
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Loose belt? If you haven't changed your serp belt, change it out. May fix the problem if it's due to worn ribs. Also make sure you don't have a coolant leak spraying coolant onto the belt. Sorry, that's all the advice I have to give aside from what you're already doing.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

One more thing. The stock pulley on the LS2s seems to crap out eventually on every car at around 80K. IMHO, it should be changed out on all of them as a matter of course, like we swap out the OEM mounts for aftermarket.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have some fuel line or similar size tubing, that works great too. You can use it like a stethoscope. Just be careful not to get too close to moving pulleys, belts, fan, etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Water pump..
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Teching In

mine is making the same exact squeak. i changed the serpentine belt and it stopped for a few days, then the noise came back and worse now. it tends to get quieter once it's warmed up, so every time i take it somewhere, it doesn't squeak. i was told it was probably the pulley too, but i'm only at like 48k miles, is that normal?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Usually, the serpentine belt & belt tensioner and or idler pulley bearing
are the 1st suspects and the easiest to address.

You can use a piece of heater hose as a stethoscope, but be careful.
Put it near your ear. In your ear and you'll blow your eardrum out.
Wear leather gloves. I've been dinged before - scary.

If not one of those, then bearing in the alternator or water-pump. PITA
Good Luck

Also, if the noise reduces when you increase RPMs, then tensioner/belt
Replace both.

Last edited by Stepside; 10-24-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: More info
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Thanks -- I bought a stethoscope the other night and I'm doing my best to narrow it down but with no experience I'm not sure what sound's 'bad'....they're all just loud. I may try some hose or something similar to see if I can figure it out.

The water pump and serpentine belt only have 10k or so on them so I'd be surprised if they're my problem but I'm not ruling them out. The car has 101k fwiw.

DACTARI, when you say the pulley goes out around 80k...which one? The crank pulley?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spin2nd
DACTARI, when you say the pulley goes out around 80k...which one? The crank pulley?
Yes, the stock crank pulley, aka harmonic balancer. For some reason, the LS2s are especially prone to failure. The C6 corevette forums are full of failures. IMHO, they are prone to failure and should be replaced. I would replace it the next time you have your radiator out for any reason. I went with an ATI Super Damper, but really any aftermarket underdrive pulley would be fine for a non-blown, non-built engine.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

The ls2 dampers go bad, my 06 shat a damper at 26k miles when I had it. Squealled like a dying pig when the car was cold, and still a little when it warmed up always on startup too.

Fluidampr makes a great product.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Check my link out and make sure its not your crank pulley/harmonic balancer

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-problems.html

My belts sounded just like that. I changed the belts and it helped for 1 day then boom! My crank pulley came apart.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Update -- just replaced the idler pulley. It was on it's way out but wasn't the source of the squeak. Has to be the water pump or the crank; I believe it's the latter. Any idea what a mechanic would charge labor wise to swap out the crank pulley/dampner?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

It can really vary. Where are you located? Maybe we can rec someone honest in your area.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Just for ***** and giggles I called the dealership and they said $900 for labor only. LOL
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

It's real easy to do with minimal automotive skills.

Great write-up by DrSpeed

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i/1545948-fluidampr-installation-ls6-cts-v.html
Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

If you decide to do it yourself, make sure you have all the correct tools. The rented pullers and install tools are a recipe for frustration.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Circling back since I hate finding unresolved threads when researching issues...

I replaced the alternator this weekend (from the top, with a 15mm socket and a lot of patience) and that seems to have been the main source of my issue. The last few days before I swapped it I started to notice a slight burning smell after I'd hop out of the car following a long drive. I started watching the voltage and while still adequate to keep the battery charged, was completely unstable. It would jump from 14.6 to 13 back to 14 etc so i figured something was up. Once I got the old unit out you could tell the bearings were shot at a minimum...no telling what else was wrong in there.

That being said, now I notice a much quieter sqeak from the A/C side of the motor...I dunno if its the belt or something else. I guess the really noisy alternator covered this sound up so I'll tackle it in a week or two when i have a free weekend.

My car was a CPO car and one of the service advisers kept going overboard when fixing issues on it before the warranty went out (I sure wasn't going to stop him). The A/C unit/belt and main tensioner are now the only accessory pieces with more than 12k miles on the front of the motor so I'm thinking one of those has to be what I'm hearing. I've been watching the factory balancer for wobble and it 'could' be suspect but it's only 6 or 7k miles old and doesn't appear to be separating so I doubt that's it...
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

O the tensioner was never replaced? That's where I'd start.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FknBoss
O the tensioner was never replaced? That's where I'd start.
I'll dig through the service records again to double check but I think it's all that's left. It's cheap/easy enough to swap so maybe I'll just do it and see what happens...

Quick Reply: LS2 Pulley Squeak -- Need help determining which accessory (video)