Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Heavy's ULTRA RADIO MODIFICATION

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll volunteer my services for this project too - let me know what all else can be done. Former engineer now an accountant.

HAHA..just kidding.

Serious about an engineer though.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Thanks for the offer!

I have spent more time then I want to admit to looking at applications.

There are all kinds!
I think the first thing is to settle on an operating system based on the availability of dev tools. The "killer app" for this product is, in my mind, the ability to create a user-definable home screen that can display a custom selection of the information provided by the legacy interface, plus information that is typically only accessible by tapping into the OBD2 port.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Traqmate type data?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I think the first thing is to settle on an operating system based on the availability of dev tools. The "killer app" for this product is, in my mind, the ability to create a user-definable home screen that can display a custom selection of the information provided by the legacy interface, plus information that is typically only accessible by tapping into the OBD2 port.
It already has been done!

Go here: https://autoappmart.com/

https://autoappmart.com/products/ObdTool_248

or you can buy an OBDII to USB or wirelss even so you use the bluetooth feature and it comes with software:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by heavymetals; 11-03-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't disclose the nature of my job, or I'd give you a better feel for my abilities. Suffice it to say that I did my undergrad at UIUC with significant course credit and research credit in electromagnetics (linear phased arrays), optics (microcavity plasma lighting), and VHDL/Verilog. I'm presently 2/3 of the way through my MSEE at RPI.

I only have two years of work experience, and Heavy has been around for a long time. I might be more up to date is some specific areas, but he has decades of prototyping experience and a lab. The real reason why the idea stalled was extreme scope creep (we wanted to revamp certain portions of the instrument cluster) plus a lack of time due to moving 1000 miles away from home and starting a master's program.
Suddenly I feel so old!

If I told you what I have done and who I have done work for you wouldn't believe me.

From video games to death rays with a major dose of rock $ roll.

Anyway, Fuzzy, if you want a challenge, look at the back of your radio and you will see a 22 pin unused connector.

That port is the interface for the TV tuner (I believe) for the EU model of the CTS.

All you have to do is hack the radio via the CAN BUS.

I bought one of these to work on it:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...cName=en546534

Then, you should be able to reconfigure the port to make it active so that the radio will accept an RGB input.

The quote my software guru buddy gave me to do it was more then the car is worth.

Failing that, learn enough off the CAN BUSS (my goal) to spoof the radio and generate video display info and acknowledge commands.

Then you can replace the radio with a circuit board, and stick anything in the hole.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

So if you don't mind and have a second, could you break the actual features you're trying to capture from this project for the people who aren't quite as tech savvy as you and Fuzzy, into to pretty much basic terms.

From what I've gathered, it will be a touch screen based front that will be ran from some different source program opposed to the stock Cadillac software, giving you capabilities to new features in the radio but will retain the certain features such as warnings, info and traction/stabilitrak control?

Again, thanks for giving this a shot. Definitely a game changer for the V's.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmonttt
So if you don't mind and have a second, could you break the actual features you're trying to capture from this project for the people who aren't quite as tech savvy as you and Fuzzy, into to pretty much basic terms.

From what I've gathered, it will be a touch screen based front that will be ran from some different source program opposed to the stock Cadillac software, giving you capabilities to new features in the radio but will retain the certain features such as warnings, info and traction/stabilitrak control?

Again, thanks for giving this a shot. Definitely a game changer for the V's.
I WILL TRY TO MAKE THIS AS SIMPLE AS I CAN.

I am adding a switch that will allow the stock radio display to accept an external VGA input so you can switch to either, thus retaining all the original radio features.

As a bonus, I think I can get the backup camera input to function also.

A touch screen can also be added that has a USB interface.

Basically it gives your stock radio/nav screen the ability to act like a computer monitor with a touch screen.

What you plug into this is up to the imagination.

I am not changing anything from GM except in my install I am removing the CD changer.

I chose a Mini Mac because of the way it fits and the capabilities it adds with out wires, Bluetooth and an Airport (for wifi connect).

The wired stuff it adds like USB, just opens up a bunch of doors.

Last edited by heavymetals; 11-04-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:52 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suddenly I feel so old!

If I told you what I have done and who I have done work for you wouldn't believe me.

From video games to death rays with a major dose of rock $ roll.

Anyway, Fuzzy, if you want a challenge, look at the back of your radio and you will see a 22 pin unused connector.

That port is the interface for the TV tuner (I believe) for the EU model of the CTS.

All you have to do is hack the radio via the CAN BUS.

I bought one of these to work on it:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...cName=en546534

Then, you should be able to reconfigure the port to make it active so that the radio will accept an RGB input.

The quote my software guru buddy gave me to do it was more then the car is worth.

Failing that, learn enough off the CAN BUSS (my goal) to spoof the radio and generate video display info and acknowledge commands.

Then you can replace the radio with a circuit board, and stick anything in the hole.

This may not help, but i'm throwing it out there...the designers of EFI Live worked for GM and know the system to include the CAN BUS...maybe they may be of some assistance here? It may be worth an email just to see. Worth a shot, anyhow.

Again, thank you for all of your time and efforts on this, Heavy! You can count me in as well!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMM
This may not help, but i'm throwing it out there...the designers of EFI Live worked for GM and know the system to include the CAN BUS...maybe they may be of some assistance here? It may be worth an email just to see. Worth a shot, anyhow.

Again, thank you for all of your time and efforts on this, Heavy! You can count me in as well!
Already went that route.

Got some nice replies, but they refuse to release any info.

This applies to DELPHI also.

The commands for configuring the radio are "proprietary" according to DELPHI.

TECHII can configure the radio for VIN but HP tuner and EFI live can't (from what I understand) and I know someone with the SNAP ON system and it can't either.

There are not a lot of people out there that know CANBUS well enough to "hack" radios, which I find kinda odd.

Just need some software squid to be a car junkie, but most of them are yellow fingered shut ins (my term).

Last edited by heavymetals; 11-04-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I WILL TRY TO MAKE THIS AS SIMPLE AS I CAN.

I am adding a switch that will allow the stock radio display to accept an external VGA input so you can switch to either, thus retaining all the original radio features.

A touch screen can also be added that has a USB interface.

Basically it gives your stock radio/nav screen the ability to act like a computer monitor.
Okay, this explains a lot. I was under the impression that you were going to try to replace the built-in screen with an aftermarket touch screen and use the Mac Mini as a hardware interface. This project just got a lot more sane, in my estimation.

My original plan involved designing and building a PCB that would allow an iPad to interface with the car and emulate all of the functions of the stock head unit. While it would've been a fun project, the amount of work required would only have been worthwhile if I could sell 100+ units at $300 (plus an iPad).
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

"This project just got a lot more sane, in my estimation. "

Pretty bitchin hey Fuzz?

On my FRANKENRADIO I may ditch the touch screen.

I just got my Apple Magic Trackpad
Old 11-04-2012, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Already went that route.

Got some nice replies, but they refuse to release any info.

This applies to DELPHI also.

The commands for configuring the radio are "proprietary" according to DELPHI.

TECHII can configure the radio for VIN but HP tuner and EFI live can't (from what I understand) and I know someone with the SNAP ON system and it can't either.

There are not a lot of people out there that know CANBUS well enough to "hack" radios, which I find kinda odd.

Just need some software squid to be a car junkie, but most of them are yellow fingered shut ins (my term).
Maybe try a BMW guy? The new BMWs run that CANBUS system.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More food for thought - what about doing something similar to the GT-R dash?

I got some buddies at Polyphony I can call up....
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about what you want to have on the screen right now, once the interface is working you will have nearly unlimited options for what it can display and do. With a computer in there it will be easy to tap into OBDII to get car information.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
More food for thought - what about doing something similar to the GT-R dash?

I got some buddies at Polyphony I can call up....

Do some searching and you will find all kinds of apps have already been written and working for carputers and OBDII monitoring.

Like here: http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...mand/index.php

What I think will be a neat app is tying the OBDII to a "dash cam" (via USB) and then one should be able to review a recording of how one was driving and how the car was reacting, like at a track day.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Okay, this explains a lot. I was under the impression that you were going to try to replace the built-in screen with an aftermarket touch screen and use the Mac Mini as a hardware interface. This project just got a lot more sane, in my estimation.
+1 was initially thinking the same thing
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update:

Got a quote on the circuit boards and should have parts next week.

This may be premature, but I am gonna ask:

SO WHO IS SERIOUSLY INTERESTED?

I have already plowed literally thousands of $'s into this and I don't care if I end up with the only one ( the modders by law #1).

My plans call for 10 modified displays this year, 4 are already pledged.

So, I may have 6 available.

I would like to know what the application/plan is if you have one.

I am not asking for any money upfront, but when the time comes, I will.

The "plan" is to have you ship me the WORKING radio, and I modify it.

That does not include a computer

You provide that and you connect that part up.

Any ?'s please PM me.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Launching!

I may be interested. PM, what the estimated cost would be.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soulja
I may be interested. PM, what the estimated cost would be.
As I posted earlier, it will be around $1500.00.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Teching In

I can't disclose the nature of my job, or I'd give you a better feel for my abilities.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that has "one of those" jobs....

Quick Reply: Heavy's ULTRA RADIO MODIFICATION