Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Possible group buy opportunity for some V1 carbon fiber parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
$2k to paint two doors? (I'd probably just leave the decklid as is).
If you want, I can show you my $4000 quotes from three paint shops (including the best Cadillac dealership in the area) to have two doors repainted, one fender, plus my front fascia and hood.

The problem is that you can't just do the doors--you have to blend the color into the surrounding panels, which means that you'll wind up putting new paint on about 1/4 of the car and new clearcoat on about 1/3 of it.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
If you want, I can show you my $4000 quotes from three paint shops (including the best Cadillac dealership in the area) to have two doors repainted, one fender, plus my front fascia and hood.

The problem is that you can't just do the doors--you have to blend the color into the surrounding panels, which means that you'll wind up putting new paint on about 1/4 of the car and new clearcoat on about 1/3 of it.
Yeah, that's true. Eventually my whole care is going to be due for a repaint anyway though.

That said, my car is sitting at about 3700 pounds, so if I could drop even more that would be great.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Lot of poor and/or unrealistic ideas thus far. Some people clearly just want the carbon fiber look. If that's you, go buy some 3M Di-noc and wrap your existing part.

If you want to achieve weight loss quick, start with a Deka ETX20L and ReallyLightStuff aluminum bracket. That's 20 lbs gone for $150.

A good carbon fiber application would be the rear seatback. It's covered by cloth, so looks don't matter, and the stock unit weighs around 60 lbs. I'd pay about $150 for a replacement bracket if I had to do the work of installing it.

Another is the shock tower. Plenty of people want an LS2 shock tower. It weighs 5-8 lbs, so you have an opportunity to both lighten it up and stiffen it up.

The first person to build a ram-air scoop for the CTS-V is going to make bank.

But the real winner will be the guy who comes up with a turnkey solution involving reupholstering R505 racing seats to look stock and installing the seat heaters and a 5-point racing harness. Although the total cost will be about $1000, the delta weight will be over 200 lbs, with strong bolsters to lock you in and better leather.

The real hard sell for me in a still street driven car would be loosing the side airbags which are also built into the seat.

Good comments though, there are a lot of better/cheaper ways to save weight.

Add to that a lighter flywheel...

Depending on the driver there is the other driver mod... loosing weight...

Quick Reply: Possible group buy opportunity for some V1 carbon fiber parts?