Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

"V" Daily Drivers.. Looking for some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double poast
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CTS-V in the snow? All you need is good snow tries

Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Not hating, but why is there a base model CTS in the garage and the V is outside with a foot of snow on it?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmonttt
Not hating, but why is there a base model CTS in the garage and the V is outside with a foot of snow on it?
You married?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Touché.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Launching!

That's the funny side of things, this is at the rents house so I had to park in the driveway.

Originally Posted by MN_V
You married?
Not yet, I'm not ready for the Game Over screen.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KamaSutra
CTS-V in the snow? All you need is good snow tries

I will never miss winter, than god we only have summer and slightly cooler summer here.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You married?
Touché.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Default its tolerable in the winter

Originally Posted by Sk8phreak88
Skip to the bottom for a few short and sweet questions..

So browsing the for sale section here, I've noticed the few V's with the maggie set up on them. I've always like the way the V has looked, and the fact that it's LS based so Motor options on endless. I didn't realize how low the prices are getting for a First gen V now days. I'm tossing around the idea of selling one of my Camaro's and my current Daily (02 WRX) and replacing them with a V. I would definitely want to go the blown V route. My WRX is a Hybrid 2.5L build that's conservatively tuned at 325awhp. And I like having the power that I have now in the little WRX. I couldn't step back down. Few things though.. Does anyone here DAILY drive a V in a northern climate? I live in Minnesota.. We have snow storms.. Some times some real big ones. I know a V would NEVER be able to keep up in terms of the subies all wheel drive awesomeness, but my thoughts are a set of snow tires would make it tollerable. I've driven 2wd reg cab short box s10s/rangers all winter long before just fine. I just spoiled my self with the AWD a couple years ago.

Are there some years to watch out for?
Looking at replacing my WRX daily driver with a V.. I live where it snows, how horrible, or tollerable are the V's with a set of snow tires on it?

I've read the rear's seem to be junk. But haven't dug in super deep yet for other problems.

Thanks guys!

Hey,

I am actually moving from Boston to california, but I had a good set of tires (for sale now in the parts section) and it was fine. No issues in up to 6 inches of snow. Could start and stop, well enough and could handle control, but you have to always remember how much power the car has lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
haha. thought the same thing.

thanks for all the input so far guys! If I did go through and pick one up, I would FOR SURE buy a full set of winter wheels with a set of blizzaks on them. My wrx has a set of them and it's insane the difference they make.

Still going back and fourth on what to do yet. If I keep the WRX, then one camaro can Come out to play turbo'd next year. If I spring for the V, it'll have to wait till the next year. Still gotta figure out what I want to do. I appreciate all the input!!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

I bought my car with some Yokohama winter tires and drove up from Ohio in February 2011. As soon as I hit the Michigan border there was maybe 1/4" of snow on the ground. Needless to say the tires were crap because driving was a pain. Like everyone else says, a good set of tires make all the difference. Me, I bought a 4WD Grand Cherokee for snow.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Texas which w only get ice storms so I park her until it passes
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

I park my V in the winter. I may be in the minority of people who know/care about the toll that salty cindered roads takes on a cars body and paint. That I aside I won't waste my time dealing with a V can get through the snow when for the price of 4 extra rims and blizzaks you can easily have a reliable awd or fwd car that will get through it.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 AM
JDB
Launching!

You married?
Yes...and her SUV sits outside.

Marry better next time
Old 12-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

maggied V and we drive it year round in Colorado. We drove it over the pass in about 12" of snow with no issues. We are on the "07" diff and while I am concerned about blowing it, its held up fine. I have drifted and drag raced it a few times with no issues. Its the perfect DD imo.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12" of snow so far today in MN, was an interesting few drives I had to make today with the V. Not all that impressed with the Hankook winter tires but for $200 for the set not complaining yet. However, I never got stuck and believe the car isn't all that bad in the snow. Particularly fun going through some side streets with 8" of snow and just a couple tire tracks to follow. It takes a couple attempts to get up my driveway which is long and steep but I had that issue with FWD cars too. Sometimes the V would not go forward but it would go back or vice versa so I was always able to get out of areas. Many years of driving in MN helps.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got Nokian WR's for mine, and is really good in the snow. Another plus is that the V is the fastest car for heat I've ever owned. The heated seats are also really quick. Both are much slower to heat in my wife's Lincoln LS. She reminds me of it often.

Quick Reply: "V" Daily Drivers.. Looking for some insight.