Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

"V" Daily Drivers.. Looking for some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "V" Daily Drivers.. Looking for some insight.

Skip to the bottom for a few short and sweet questions..

So browsing the for sale section here, I've noticed the few V's with the maggie set up on them. I've always like the way the V has looked, and the fact that it's LS based so Motor options on endless. I didn't realize how low the prices are getting for a First gen V now days. I'm tossing around the idea of selling one of my Camaro's and my current Daily (02 WRX) and replacing them with a V. I would definitely want to go the blown V route. My WRX is a Hybrid 2.5L build that's conservatively tuned at 325awhp. And I like having the power that I have now in the little WRX. I couldn't step back down. Few things though.. Does anyone here DAILY drive a V in a northern climate? I live in Minnesota.. We have snow storms.. Some times some real big ones. I know a V would NEVER be able to keep up in terms of the subies all wheel drive awesomeness, but my thoughts are a set of snow tires would make it tollerable. I've driven 2wd reg cab short box s10s/rangers all winter long before just fine. I just spoiled my self with the AWD a couple years ago.

Are there some years to watch out for?
Looking at replacing my WRX daily driver with a V.. I live where it snows, how horrible, or tollerable are the V's with a set of snow tires on it?

I've read the rear's seem to be junk. But haven't dug in super deep yet for other problems.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in NYC. They are decent with a set of tires on them. They def. aren't 'AWD on winters' comparable, but they are good nonetheless. I don't see as much snow as you do, but whatever I have seen, I have driven in my A/S with not much issue. The thing is to have a decent set of tires, and to be at higher gears. (2nd+ gear from stop)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would not recommend it. You said you have driven rear wheel pick ups before in the winter, I'm assuming using a very agressive snow tire, weight added to the bed and the vehicle was probably and automatic. The V will be manual, and with the amount of Torque it produces it will be very hard to get it to hook to anything snow covered. Reguardless of how much weight you add or the tires. Also the car revs....like a sports car, so once traction is lost under any type of acceleration things could become harry very quickly in the V. So IMO even thinking a V could make it through a Minnesota winter.....good luck! (Go Vikings)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input so far guys. As for the pick up in winter, the trucks were both manuals, and the s10 was a 4.3L truck. Not a rocket ship, but they aren't snails either.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

I live on the Ohio/Michigan border and I drive mine year round. You do need winter tires but the car is fine if you take it easy !!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Teching In

We drive mine year round. I have snow tires and it does great just don't get it above 5000 rpm and you will be fine. I live in Wyoming.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced my wrx with a V. This is my first winter. I anticipate little problems with good snow tires and a light foot.

From what I can tell, the rears are 'junk' like the wrx 5-spd is 'junk'. A percentage of them do break, especially under abuse but the majority of people who don't break them won't be posting it all over the Internet. Usage comes into play heavily.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Launching!

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my '04 V, and they worked OK in snow. I then decided to get two extra wheels and put Michelin Alpin snow tires on them - Once winter comes they go on the back and I leave the A/S's on the fronts.

Then the two other wheels w/ the A/S tires(that were on the rear) now go in the trunk for extra ballast. Seems to work pretty well so far.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

I would say that tires make all the difference. I have only driven mine in snow once, with terrible tires, and it did fine. However, since I got some ContiExtreme DWS, the car is 100 times better on wet roads than it was.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Launching!

I have one of those maggied Vs for sale and while I live in FL now I have lived in some snowy states before the worst being Colorado. I would NEVER drive my car in the snow, unless of course you're looking for an insurance check or something like that. I have a difficult time driving the car in the rain at low speeds. It doesn't really matter that it's a V, you just wouldn't drive a car with high gearing and high torque in the snow unless you needed to in my opinion. Now when it's nice and cold outside and not snowing these cars are REALLY fun. Just got back from IL and between the meth and the 20 degree weather the car pulled like a beast. Good luck on your search, you're not going to beat that Subie AWD in the snow.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Been in the snow with enough rwd manual cars in my time to say that it all comes down to how you drive, hell the first car I drove in the snow was rwd with a five speed and abs wasn't even an option. That said studded tires are wonderful.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Launching!

The first year i had my v we got some good snow here in Indiana but nothing like you get up there. But i will say in a solid foot and a half unplowed snow when i had blizzaks on it it did great. I leave work at 10am and useually on the weekends so the roads werent even touched by the time i was heading home from work. There were ruts from other cars and trucks but not much. I used to have subies also and with snow tires on the v i was very impressed.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey dude I'm in Richfield with an 06 and I just put my other wheels/snow tires on. If you know how to drive a RWD which sounds like you do you will be fine. Obviously don't lean on the car's systems but the stabilitrac is pretty good in the rain when I have been a dumbass merging around corners in second gear.

That said get an 06 or 07 if you can find one in your price range. Multiple small fixes in the car and better tq with the LS2 and they all have the upgraded diff/axles they put in 06. Many 04-05s have that upgraded diff too from warranty work so just ask around. If you want to meet up for a cruise let me know I'd like to check out your WRX.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

^Dude, I am game. I need to find one to ride in and see what they are like. I can't find a dealer that has a first gen in stock... And while I'd love a V2... I'm closing on my first house that's 100k in two weeks. Not exactly making the kind of money to buy a 45k dollar daily yet. Lol.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
JDB
Launching!

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my '04 V, and they worked OK in snow. I then decided to get two extra wheels and put Michelin Alpin snow tires on them - Once winter comes they go on the back and I leave the A/S's on the fronts.

Then the two other wheels w/ the A/S tires(that were on the rear) now go in the trunk for extra ballast. Seems to work pretty well so far.

I guess that works ok with A/S tires, but braking and turning is all on the fronts.

Winters x 4 would clearly be better. That's what I do... extra set of wheels with Blizzaks and then summer tires on another set. A/S tires do everything...poorly.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

i bought mine april '11 with 65k miles...currently has 90k on it. drive it every day march-nov unless im on the bike. ive only got caught in the snow once, and it sucked. i was running bald summer tires though. i love my V, have been wanting to get something different just because i never keep any vehicle too long, but i cant think of anything else id rather drive as a daily. in the 25k miles ive put on it, the only thing i had to replace was brakes, rear tires(go figure lol), and a window regulator. she always fires right up, sounds great, hangs with cars that trap 110mph on the highway, and gets 25mpg highway. the ONLY things i dont like about my V is the dreaded wheel hop, and the lack of a center console.

btw, the bitches love it
Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

I live in Indiana and daily drive my V year round. In winter I use snow tires all the way around. I had bridgestone blizzaks on my last car (03 CTS) but bought Nittos for the V. If I could do it again I'd definitely go with the Bridgestones instead of the Nittos. In addition to daily driving the V here in Indiana, I also make a trip up to Minneapolis most winters to visit family over new years. I've been there in some pretty heavy snows with little to no problems. You guys are a lot better about getting the streets clean which helps so I think you'd be fine. You'd struggle on an unplowed side road in more than 6-8" though.

The guy that said he'd only drive a V in winter if looking for an insurance check either had crappy tires or doesn't know how to drive.

Originally Posted by dre2013
...the ONLY things i dont like about my V is the dreaded wheel hop, and the lack of a center console...
Dude, get an armrest out of a regular CTS. Its a direct swap and will give you the "center console" storage you're looking for.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does that regular CTS center console make it uncomfortable shifting? i.e. prop your elbow up high? That's what I worry about. I guess I don't mind just keeping the few things I have under the current 'flap'.

I've been stranded before with a FWD with summer tires on... they just don't work in cold weather combined with any snow buildup.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MN_V
Does that regular CTS center console make it uncomfortable shifting? i.e. prop your elbow up high? That's what I worry about. I guess I don't mind just keeping the few things I have under the current 'flap'.

I've been stranded before with a FWD with summer tires on... they just don't work in cold weather combined with any snow buildup.
I've had no problems with the CTS armrest in the V. In fact that was the first mod I did on my V, I ordered the armrest as soon as I got home from picking her up. I couldn't stand that crappy armrest the V came with. As for tires, definitely bite the bullet and get a second set of wheels and snows if you're driving it year round. They make a world of difference even when compared to good all seasons.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

op, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-used-cts.html

/\ read that

I Drove my v Daily in NJ/NY area.for 2-3yrs had a set of winter tires on the stockers. never had a problem..

Now with the 8.8 the V is a even better in an everyday situation. STOCK the v has horrible pinion lash, chicks notice it, its not your driving nor that your not slipping the clutch enuff.. its the drive line.. now with a iron diff hard mounted + DSS axles, hop is minimal and no pinion lash.. now all thats left is the stock flkwheel chatter

annoyances for me on the stock V for me
#1. pinion lash
#2. wheel hop/fear of blowing a diff
#3. flywheel chatter on the stock 46lb paperweight
#4. motor mounts/diesiling
#5. no touchscreen yet everyone thinks its a touch screen and trys to use it as such hahah
thats about it. at stock and bolt on power levels, motor and trans are stout there are alot of worse platforms out there

Quick Reply: "V" Daily Drivers.. Looking for some insight.