Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hissing sound from front passenger wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing sound from front passenger wheel well

2006 CTS-V, 105k miles

After getting home from work and getting out of the car I heard a hissing noise coming from ONLY the front passenger wheel well. Sounded like the tire was releasing air. I walk back out an hour later and I can still hear the hissing, air sound, although not as loud. My tires are run flats so it is difficult to tell if theyve lost pressure unless you drive it and you can hear/feel the increased rolling resistance. However, car drives fine and id never think anything was wrong if i didnt hear this after turning the car off. Doesnt appear to be leaking coolant or anything and if it is, its so little that it isnt noticable. Could it be possible that a line/hose is loose? I could not hear anything at all when opening the hood and listening above the engine bay. I only hear it when I get down on the ground below/front of the car or up close right next to the passenger front wheel well. I literally have to put my ear to the tire to hear it. Any additional thoughts?

Update: After checking on it (keep in mind this is a few hours later), I took it for a quick spin to see if the temps or anything went up above normal, but all the operating temps stayed normal. However, my front drivers side tire showed 6 psi on the dash Tire Pressure monitor while all others were normal. Note that this is the drivers side tire, opposite of the one im hearing the hissing sound from. It didnt look/sound/feel like it had 6 psi at all. Felt normal. I will probably check in the morning with a hand gauge I have. WTF could be going on...between the hissing wheel well sound and the jumpy/incorrect tire pressure monitor? Let me know if I need to explain further. I should have cliff noted it line by line. Thanks

Last edited by ObfuscatedV; 11-28-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tpms needs to be reset. Tire is fooked. You haz flat.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
If the tire isn't dead maybe the shock is taking a crap. Does it stink like gear oil under there?

Edit: your tire is fooked.
I cant smell gear oil. Theres a very faint smell of antifreeze, but I found that it leaks at a very, very slow rate and I add a little coolant probably every 6 months.

Could be the shock. I didnt see any leakage around the seals, but I guess I should physically test it out in the morning.

Why do you think the tire is fooked? As for the wild tire pressure monitor, what could create such an inconsistency that it would drop down to 6 psi (inaccurately)? I really dont think the tire is flat. Back a few months ago, I ran over a piece of metal one night on a bridge where construction was being done, and I KNEW that I had a flat by the sound/feel. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. But keep in mind the tire showing the low pressure is different than the one im hearing the hissing sound from...

Edit: Lol, sorry, I edited my original post a couple times.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

Your tpms where probably not reset properly after you got tires. Meaning your left and right sensors can be showing opposite of what they really are
Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Never trust TPMS sensors, they're always wrong.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Teching In

My TPMS are also improperly set (frontend for back sensors etc). You have a flat tire.

I've always hated runflats... I was coming home from a 400 mile roadtrip, and about halfway home, my TPMS showed one tire at 0 psi. I didn't feel a difference, so I just assumed the TPMS was bad and kept going. I drove home and went to work the next day. It wasn't until I came home from work and decided to trouble shoot the TPMS that I realized there was no air in the tire.

I don't' currently drive on runflats anymore, but they were a great piece of mind.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ObfuscatedV
After getting home from work and getting out of the car I heard a hissing noise coming from ONLY the front passenger wheel well. Sounded like the tire was releasing air.
I bet there's a good reason for that.

I walk back out an hour later and I can still hear the hissing, air sound, although not as loud.
Because air pressure in the tire had dropped, thus there's less pressure differential to drive the air out of the tire.

My tires are run flats so it is difficult to tell if theyve lost pressure unless you drive it ...
Or unless you use a tire pressure gauge to check the pressure.

However, my front drivers side tire showed 6 psi on the dash Tire Pressure monitor while all others were normal. Note that this is the drivers side tire, opposite of the one im hearing the hissing sound from. It didnt look/sound/feel like it had 6 psi at all. Felt normal. I will probably check in the morning with a hand gauge I have.
Don't rush into it, give the tire time to bleed down to 0 before you check it.

WTF could be going on...between the hissing wheel well sound and the jumpy/incorrect tire pressure monitor?
WTF is going on is that you have a flat tire and someone didn't set the TPMS sensor locations when your tires were last replaced or rotated. You can do it yourself for free - http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tprepro.html.

Why do you think the tire is fooked? As for the wild tire pressure monitor, what could create such an inconsistency that it would drop down to 6 psi (inaccurately)? ... But keep in mind the tire showing the low pressure is different than the one im hearing the hissing sound from...
I'd bet good money that the TPMS sensor is not inaccurate, but it wasn't synced up with the car properly the last time the tires were rotated or replaced.

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
Never trust TPMS sensors, they're always wrong.
I've never had any issues with mine (well, other than when the dealership gave me 3 out of 4 that were apparently the wrong frequency and wouldn't sync with the car). I have 4 different sets of sensors in 4 sets of wheels, and had 2 other sets in wheels that I have since sold.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well since the common sense answer is out there i think you have a snake living in the wheel well. I generally trust the tpms untill i have proof otherwise...
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

My tpms thinks my tires are running 75 psi on cold mornings, the ones on my truck told me I was between 1 and 100 psi.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe this is your problem:

Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

So, was it a snake or what? I hate being left hanging in suspense like this!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mix a little dish soap with water and pour it on the tire.. Leaky tire = bubbles

Quick Reply: Hissing sound from front passenger wheel well